• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are substantial buttresses - four in fact - clearly visible in the post 326 above. Phil mentioned this many posts ago.
There do not appear to be any buttresses in the original photo (post 1).
This alone must eliminate the Wycliffe building.

For me the most convincing so far has been has been shown by OldM in his post here, and highlighting identifiable features.
There was one area of the Sunday School which did not match as shown below highlighted yellow. It is obvious that it is not the church. A map shows that the Sunday School ajoins the church as shown on a map in post#222.
PosBus Location.jpg

There are substantial buttresses - four in fact - clearly visible in the post 326 above. Phil mentioned this many posts ago.
There do not appear to be any buttresses in the original photo (post 1).
This alone must eliminate the Wycliffe building.
The reason none are in view is because they are possibly hidden from view

I spent the last two days solidly on this post and it’s a shame there are no photos of the Sunday school windows. Still searching and won’t give up

There seems to be something visible through the back window of the bus, lower part of the buttress's Maybe? If they are buttress's then they would be in the right place for the church.
1549053706933.png

These maybe.....
1549053995600.png

Also visible is the roof of a car. Waiting at the traffic lights possibly?

1549054321987.png
This photo, posted by Caroline, in the Old Street Pics thread shows Icknield Street School, to the left of the bus. At the time of the photo and I am sure also that of the original photo in Post 1, would be before road widening and put the school close to the road. It would be interesting to have a photo showing the frontage of the school onto Icknield Street.

In my earlier post I said that I had looked at Icknield Street School from all angles and decided that it could not be the location of the original post. This picture shows the view from a slightly closer than the picture above.
1549055748481.png

Thank you David for that photo. Admittedly it is recent, compared to the black and white one. I must say that the windows do look somewhat different to the original post 1 but with a bus stop on the opposite side of the road, roughly where that entrance is, would place the tower in a similar position to that seen to the rear of the bus in post 1. ;)

There seems to be something visible through the back window of the bus, lower part of the buttress's Maybe? If they are buttress's then they would be in the right place for the church.
View attachment 131285

These maybe.....
View attachment 131287

I had looked at them and thought they were rails inside the bus around the stairs area and if the bus was just past the Sunday School it would be some distance from the Bristol Rd lights.

View attachment 131285

These maybe.....
View attachment 131287

That's a good observation, I noticed that through the window some time ago and assumed it was the roof of a vehicle but perhaps it's this (obviously viewed from the other side).

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 10
I am sorry if this dampens anybody's spirits but this cannot be the building as the windows at the start of the thread rise to a standard pitched roof and these form part of a gable end.

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 16
For info...we were also looking for a Horace Baxter shoe shop on the opposite corner to the Sun Inn on Bristol Street.

In 1940 this was 215 Bristol Street and Warwickshire Laundries Ltd (Receiving office).

I am sorry if this dampens anybody's spirits but this cannot be the building as the windows at the start of the thread rise to a standard pitched roof and these form part of a gable end.
The part you have shown is hidden behind the bus, the part highlighted here is what we can see behind the bus and looks about right. I'll be so happy when we find a picture of Wycliffe Sunday School, fingers crossed.

Attachments

• wycliffela.jpg
    wycliffela.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 26
3A20EDAC-7D37-43D1-A187-4861616CD020.jpeg

I am not a "photoshop" expert, but I beleive that if we can dispel any belief that the picture has been doctored in any way, or that the background to the bus is not produced by smoke on mirrors, then the architecture of the windows would be an important factor.

The picture is of the section containining the windows and the edge of the bus. If you zoom in on this it appears to me that the grain of the photo, both horizontal or vertical, is continuous, and therefore suggesting that the picture is genuine.

So far the Wycliffe place does seem to be the only candidate. All the other, very similar places, do not it seems. So much of all the areas served by the Inner Circle route have changed dramatically since the photograph was taken. There maybe another likely building, long since demolished, but until photographs of the areas so altered are posted then we are stuck with what we have so far.

Transposing features from the yellow highlighted area of the pic in post#334 into the original post#1 pic would produce something like in this view. As much as I would like to think that the bus was in St Lukes Road I have my doubts.
modpic.jpeg

This is the bit I don't understand. Where I have marked should be transoms, but why are they arched and rising when the heads of the windows are level?

Mystery Location.png

I think it may be that the pattern is repeated in an upward slope on two columns that have been cut off the picture. That would make five columns.

Yes as it stands it would be peculiar.

I think it may be that the pattern is repeated in an upward slope on two columns that have been cut off the picture. That would make five columns.

Yes as it stands it would be peculiar.
Agreed, as per my speculation at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ed-for-this-bus-if-possible.49551/post-636755.
Of course we might be trying to see a pattern where none exists but what look like arched tops of inset frames do seem very distinct, far more so than other features that some have focused on.

The curved window is visible through the driver's side window.

Attachments

• no8bus&curved window.jpg
    no8bus&curved window.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 19

The second picture here is not the same window, being on the Chapel, and just obscured by the bus.

The walls of Wycliffe Chapel were described as Horton blue stone and Bath stone dressings, and that of the school were blue and red brick releived by Bath stone dressings. Unfortunately we can’t see the join!

[having looked again at the Wycliffe the second window may well be on the School, but would be still obscured.]

Last edited:
The curved window is visible through the driver's side window.
But the building to the left of that curved window is stepped out into the pavement, i.e. it isn't all one building yet it is clear from the original picture that the building starting from the left edge continues beyond the bus with two gable ends of differing sizes. The stepped out section also has three lines (stories?) of windows yet the original only has two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back