• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Acocks Green

It's been lovely looking at these photos, my mother was born and brought up at 77 Lincoln Road, Acocks Green. She was born in 1911 and often talked about how lovely it was back in the day. She attended Acocks Green School and my grandparents are buried at St Mary's, I think I've got that right!! I loved to visit as a child, my aunt stayed in the family home until she passed away in the 80's I think.

Small World. For a time, I think in the late 50's, my parents owned the Cafe on the corner of Olton Croft and I also went to Acocks Green School.

Was there a Greenhouse down the bottom of the garden? I think I once through a ball through one of the panes of glass.:(

Brummie Novice & Ken R

A couple of photos especially for you pair, the first one is an early one looking up Lincoln Road from Warwick Road. The other two date from the 50's.

Acocks Green Lincoln Rd.jpg

lincoln road 1958.JPG
Acocks Green Lincoln Rd Lincoln Garage.JPG

Same junction as second photo - from google

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-20_10-5-58.png
    upload_2018-8-20_10-5-58.png
    688.4 KB · Views: 39
Getting back to the subject of the Grand Union Canal, there was once a 'coal yard' (later to become Evesons's Fuels - I think) on the 'bend' in Lincoln Road and looking from the Lincoln Road North road bridge, to their wharf, there was sos much overspill of coal into the canal that it would have been possible to walk in the canal "without getting one's feet wet". I'll avoid any 'pun' about "Walking on Water.":)

Those were the days when kids were encouraged to 'intermingle' with the working fraternity. On Skool holidays and at weekends, I used to go out with Coal deliveries and, although at the age of about 9 or 10, I doubt that I could have 'humped' a hundredweight of coal, I certainly remember dragging them across the bed for delivery. Or was that a 'half-hundredweight'?o_O I can remember that each delivery vehicle had on it a mechanical scale so that any purchaser could be assured of the weight of coal in each bag.

The cinema in Westley Road, Acocks Green was The Warwick. It was open from 1929 to 1962. I went there many times. Dave

The second picture in the post 57, by Phil, shows the older road sign HALT. For reference, the newer Warboys style sign STOP came into being in 1965.

I remember a movie house in Acocks Green

There were two cinemas in Acocks Green the original one was on the corner of Station Road and was the Picture Playhouse and the other as already mentioned was the Warwick Cinema on Westley Road.

Acocks Green Picture Playhouse.JPG

Westley Road The Warwick Cinema.JPG

The cinema in Westley Road, Acocks Green was The Warwick. It was open from 1929 to 1962. I went there many times. Dave
I remember going at least in 1968 when it was a combined with a bowling alley. Was it not called "The Warwick" by then?

It's the Acocks Green Bowl and Quasar Laser Elite now. The last film I saw there was the Exorcist.

Oh Ken that's so funny, I think I can remember that incident, well, the conversation that followed at least, when we visited!! That's made my week :D
Below is a photo of that very greenhouse, myself and my 2 brothers and our Auntie Irene (Booton) Her husband loved hid greenhouse.

Auntie Renie, Den, John, June.JPG

Brummie Novice & Ken R

A couple of photos especially for you pair, the first one is an early one looking up Lincoln Road from Warwick Road. The other two date from the 50's.

View attachment 126996

View attachment 126997
View attachment 126998

Thank you Phil, I can see the house on the first one, it was on the left, 2 or 3 up from the bridge!
Small World. For a time, I think in the late 50's, my parents owned the Cafe on the corner of Olton Croft and I also went to Acocks Green School.

Was there a Greenhouse down the bottom of the garden? I think I once through a ball through one of the panes of glass.:(

What was the Coach House Hotel on the Warwick Road in Acocks Green is now Ababeel Restaurant at 1069 Warwick Road. It was previously Steak & Fish Master Fine Dining Restaurant & Hotel, and before that Kurkuman Restaurant Steak & Fish Master.

Looking on Google Maps Street view the Coach House Hotel looked like a Georgian town house with a coach house on the left. Doesn't appear to be listed or locally listed. But is another Georgian building next door at 1071 Warwick Road.

The former Churchill Citizens Club is at 1073 Warwick Road and is Locally listed.

HI Devonjim / Stitcher
Have you got any old photo of the old ye lion as it was way back in time,if you recall it
The original building was a nunnery for nuns then it was taken over by the brewery and turned into an
Inn / public house long before they built and brought it down from the high grounds towards the
Warick road the nunns house would have been far back up by the super market of today
then knocking down the original old ye lion as they did and built a moderen day pub dropping the
of the ye olde bit and just calling it the red lion but all the regular punters of the area but the local
punters wanted to be rebuilt again and bring it foreward yet again to where it now stands on the
front today the red lion pub i have got the picture of the red lion of yester days but it when it was
with the bowling green i am hoping to find guys, stitcher was you around when the bull dog family in
There and when the guy got is arm severed over the pool table ,

Hi Devonjim
Many thanks for that photograph i have not seen that one so i will down load that one i could presume then that was the first one they built after the nunnery was closed down jim they said they had a huge lawns as well
Jim what is michaels byne book title are they still knocking about and posible available to purchase
Thanks again jim have a nice day and may i take the opportunity to wish you a merry christmas and a happy and prosperous new year for 2019 Alan;;

The book cost £10 some twenty years ago probably from BMAG, simply called Acock's Green, one of the Archive Photographs series. I think that pub was built around 1891, at least that is when M&B bought it. Knocked down in 1982.

More red brick buildings on the Warwick Road in Acocks Green.

1073 Warwick Road - the former Churchill Citizens Club. Locally listed by Birmingham City Council as Grade A.

1075 and 1077 Warwick Road. Bartlett House and Rachael Court.

More red brick buildings on the Warwick Road in Acocks Green.1073 Warwick Road - the former Churchill Citizens Club. Locally listed by Birmingham City Council as Grade A.
1075 and 1077 Warwick Road. Bartlett House and Rachael Court QUOTE]

I used to walk past these houses some seventy years ago on the way to infant school. One of the houses was Dr Hadley's, pre NHS. Can someone with a Kelly's identify which one?

Last edited:
devonjim

Dr Hadley's practice was at 1063 Warwick Road, the Churchill club at 1073 was a school previous to it being a club and 1075 was G W Elcock accountants, previous to that in the late 30's it was a private house.

A much photographed view of Warwick Road as it runs through the village that we have several of on this thread. This one I would think dates from the 60's and must have been taken early in the morning as there is nobody about.

Acocks Green Warwick Road.JPG

A much photographed view of Warwick Road as it runs through the village that we have several of on this thread. This one I would think dates from the 60's and must have been taken early in the morning as there is nobody about.

View attachment 130730
Some views instantly trigger off memories, its 1st March 1978. My wife had been involved in a RTA in Knowle, after initial treatment at Solihull hospital it was decided to transfer her to Birmingham. I was a passenger in a police car which was in a convoy with an ambulance and five police motor bikes. We swept round this corner on the wrong side at a great rate of knots. I think the bike riders were enjoying themselves, they certainly were not hanging around!

Opposite Aldi on Warwick Road, Acocks Green, is a building with an archway. On one side is Icing World, and on the other is Premier Collections. Does any one have any info, please?

The lights have come down in Acocks Green Village, but they looked nice as always in December 2018! Near Wilko on Warwick Road.

Back