• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Acocks Green

I got this a few weeks ago...

Attachments

• acocks green theatre.jpg
    acocks green theatre.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 65
A. G. Library a.jpg A.G.Library.jpg A.G. library b.jpg
I have posted these three together because I think it is last of what I have on the building.

acocks greenvillage..jpg
This one is taken looking towards Olton with Shirley Road on the right. You can see Burtons and red fronted shop used to be Woolworths.
Acocks Green. 1.jpg
This one is actually in Olton looking towards Acocks Green.

Fox Hollies Road. Warwick Road end..jpg
Fox Hollies Road, the park is on the right as we look towards Warwick Road.

The picture in post 36 was posted in post 1 of this thread by Vivienne, where she suggests a date of 1900/10

The picture in post 36 was posted in post 1 of this thread by Vivienne, where she suggests a date of 1900/10
Hello Raidiorails, please let me apologise for making such a dreadful mistake, I have too much going on in my life to be as observant as I should be so it may be better if I stop posting altogether. If I do stop posting it will affect you because you will have nothing to complain about.

I was merely giving some detail about the photo, such as the apparent date as we have been asked to give some detail with what we post in order to make it clearer to anyone unfamiliar with the place or building in the post.
Please continue your posts.

Last edited:
An unusual advertising card for Wright's Fancy Bazaar in Acocks Green (shop can be seen in High Street shop views in post #1). Shows the canal near Acocks Green. Either a very full canal, or a very low towpath ! Viv.

image.jpeg

An unusual advertising card for Wright's Fancy Bazaar in Acocks Green (shop can be seen in High Street shop views in post #1). Shows the canal near Acocks Green. Either a very full canal, or a very low towpath ! Viv.

View attachment 121633

I should think that canal would be the Grand Union, Vivienne. Back in the early 60s, I lived an Acocks Green and would walk our dog Butch down the "cut" of a Sunday for a walk along the towpath. It was a fair walk to the canal, mind, and then we'd tramp the towpath for a few hours before turning back. Butch loved those walks.

Regards, Ray T.

An early (much changed) Hazlewood Road that runs from Fox Hollies Road to Shirley Road.

Acocks Green Hazlewood Road.JPG

Greenwood Road c1914 which I assume later became part of Olton Boulavard East and after the name change they later cut Greenwood Avenue further along Fox Hollies Road.

Acocks Green Greenwood Rd c1914.jpg

A couple of images of Dolphin Lane c1900 when it was still called Green Lane.

Acocks Green Dolphin Lane 1900.jpg Acocks Green Dolphin Lane west view.JPG

I do remember a canal just past Yardley Cem on the way to Acocks Green Very dark dingy dirty place. We would walk along the path for a while then turn back scared

Broad Road, Acocks Green, and on the left an early triangle road sign before they became standardised.
BroadRdAcocksGreen.jpg

I've probably put the next three postcards on the Forum some years ago, but they're certainly not in this thread. All date from 1907 or very close to that date - Oxford Road, Sherbourne Road, & Warwick Road.

Maurice

Attachments

• oxfordroad.jpg
    oxfordroad.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 65
  • sherbourneroad.jpg
    sherbourneroad.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 66
  • warwickroad.jpg
    warwickroad.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 63
nice photo phil....any date for it

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Unfortunately no date with the photo. In 1903 there was the 'Motor Car Act' which created signs, one of which was an open triangle to signify a hazard or warning. From 1921 they started to use symbols such as a 'flaming torch' for a school rather than words. I think all we can assume is the date is pre 1920.
Phil

thanks phil and thanks for the postcards maurice...looks so peaceful back then

lyn

It's been lovely looking at these photos, my mother was born and brought up at 77 Lincoln Road, Acocks Green. She was born in 1911 and often talked about how lovely it was back in the day. She attended Acocks Green School and my grandparents are buried at St Mary's, I think I've got that right!! I loved to visit as a child, my aunt stayed in the family home until she passed away in the 80's I think.

Back