• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Group photos

The infant class at Raddlebarn JI School in 1922. Look at the girl in the white dress 4th from left front row, her parents were making sure the soles of her shoes lasted with use of segs !
View attachment 124381
They were big classes then. There are about 14 in my grandson's class and less in his sisters with twice as many boys in both classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I remember the stick on soles right up to the 70s I think.
If you took your shoes into the shoe repairers to sole and heel them, they were never quite the right shape again.
Especially if they originally had pointed, or chisel toes, it tended to blunt or round them off. Stick on soles tended to keep them in better shape. Can you still get them?
Took them usually to Paines in Sheldon.
Don't take shoes in for repair now, tend to throw them away. The cost of repair is better put to a new pair.
My grandad had a boot last and he used to repair nan's court shoes. They were ancient. You could maim somebody with them. They never wore out she threw them away when we moved when I was about 15.

Regarding individuality in uniform I look at my pic below from post#12. Twenty one of us from all over Britain thrown together under a very strict regime for six weeks, all in uniform, the front row with slightly clenched fists on our thighs (we were told to sit like that) and I can still remember the individual traits of some of them all these years later.

Cyril, second from right front row, previously worked on a market and always seemed to have ciggies to sell like 'Walker' in 'Dad's Army'. He hired a car for a group of us on the one weekend leave we had and seemed to make money from it.

Mac, left top row could never get his beret to fit properly and use to worry about it, but he was a great bloke.

Richard, middle top row, I met him at Snow Hill station on our journey to National Service. He was a bookish type not suited to military life and he went through a very bad patch when he discovered he was a 'tick-tock' man when he marched ... drove the NCO mad ... but he was cured.

The Corporal in charge of our flight looking relaxed after we had won him the shield but we could tell when he was in a bad mood because he continually rotated his wedding ring with his thumb.

We were together for 8 weeks and then the RAF posted us off in all directions and I never saw any of them again.

I'm third from left front row.
index.php

image only visible if logged in

Last edited:
I watched a new series about recruits start on tv and thought how comfortable and gentle it has become since we were called up for national service. ;)

This is not my photo it's one I picked up on the internet, but I do remember it being taken in the mid 50's. It's the 38th Birmingham Scout group that was based in Vincent Street Balsall Heath, the photo was taken in Clifton Road school hall. I know I am on it somewhere, but I haven't a clue where.

Balsall Heath Clifton Rd School 38th Scout Group.jpg

Searching along the Inner Circle route looking for a bus I came across these nice pics from Lozells Girls School put on by Lyn in 2008. I've removed the intrusive Photobucket watermarks which are on the original pics in the thread.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/lozells-girls-school.11114/post-418409
Wedding Reception
View attachment 130510

Birthday Party
View attachment 130511
Smart young man
Searching along the Inner Circle route looking for a bus I came across these nice pics from Lozells Girls School put on by Lyn in 2008. I've removed the intrusive Photobucket watermarks which are on the original pics in the thread.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/lozells-girls-school.11114/post-418409
Wedding Reception
View attachment 130510

Birthday Party
View attachment 130511
Wedding Reception
View attachment 130510

Birthday Party
View attachment 130511
Smart young man wearing his new uniform in the foreground, (looks like Royal Signals). No formation badge on his arm so he must've still been in training and the novelty hadn't yet worn off !

This is not my photo it's one I picked up on the internet, but I do remember it being taken in the mid 50's. It's the 38th Birmingham Scout group that was based in Vincent Street Balsall Heath, the photo was taken in Clifton Road school hall. I know I am on it somewhere, but I haven't a clue where.

View attachment 130543
Don't be shy Phil. :laughing:

Two more group photos of Blue Coat School, Governors and their Ladies posing for group photos. Enigmatic smiles by some ... and we will never know why !
BlueCoatHats.jpg

NoHatsBlueCoat.jpg

i dont know about bee keeping some look like they are sucking wasps.

pete

Last edited:
Do the photos have any name captions? Be interesting to know who they are.
Unfortunately no, they are simply listed as Governors and Friends of Blue Coat School. They seem to know something about hat etiquette which we do not. Even the young lad's hat in the last pic has completely disappeared and he is slightly smiling.

Unfortunately no, they are simply listed as Governors and Friends of Blue Coat School. They seem to know something about hat etiquette which we do not. Even the young lad's hat in the last pic has completely disappeared and he is slightly smiling.
We have or used to have a Blue Coat School in Coventry. Is it an order I am quite ignorant on this. Well on a lot of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting as formal group photographs are, my real favourites are those group images where the subjects are almost completely unaware that they are being photographed.

This one is amongst those in my collection which I like best. I know when it was taken – late on a Sunday afternoon in summer 1943. I know where the men are standing and what they are doing – on Wood End station and waiting for the train from Stratford to take them to Snow Hill. I know why they are there and what they have been doing prior to the photograph. But all I know about them as individuals is that they are all Erdington blokes, that they are in the Home Guard and that they are all unidentified, apart from the man third from the right – Leslie Beard who lived with his wife Minnie and daughter Betty in Woodacre Road, Erdington.

One of the reasons I like the photograph is that in the middle of their pipe and fag break, something is going on overhead. Three of the men have noticed it. Cautious interest might be the best way of describing their reaction. Or even apprehension? It's likely to be "one of ours", but you can never be sure. What IS certain is that it isn't an Emirates A380 on its descent into Birmingham Airport......

I bet that amongst these men are fathers/grandfathers/gt.grandfathers of one Forum member or another. But I also bet that, sadly, they won't be recognised!

Chris

(Click on images to expand them)

GroupRailwayPlatform.jpgGroupRailwayPlatformIndividual1.jpgGroupRailwayPlatformIndividual2.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg

I often come across photos of groups of people and look to see if I know anyone. I think it's a pity to lose them so here's the first of some which others might be interested in.

The first is British Gas staff Perry Barr in 1936, the second is Saltley School Army Cadets and the third is Harrison Road Working Mens Club in Erdington. Viv.
great pics.

i like that army every one gets a stripe or two

Last edited:
great pics. i like that army every one gets a stripe or two

The preponderance of officers and NCOs in the group won't reflect the overall make-up of the Erdington unit of which they are all a part. These men have been on a Home Guard weapons training course – artillery guns, anti-tank weapons etc – and they will tend to be men in the unit with a degree of authority (and perhaps a responsibility for passing on their new knowledge to others when they rejoin the unit).

There is so much interesting detail in this image. For example, look at the number of men with Great War experience, shown by their medal ribbons. Survivors to a man. 25 years earlier several of them would have been in the trenches, hoping they would survive and enjoy a lifetime of peace. Just 25 years earlier – the equivalent, for us, of 1994 and to me the day before yesterday. And now here they are, back in uniform, for Round 2.

Chris

great pics. i like that army every one gets a stripe or two. i cant see the medals. they are cadets. from saltley

Back