• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

John,

That's brilliant - I just wish we could do that with the whole of central Brum. Glad that it features the old Bartons Bank as my mother's family lived at 2 back 15, and Eric Gibson's grandparents very close by. Shame we never took any pictures before it was all pulled down.

Maurice

Thank-you for the positive comments, ideally I wanted the picture to appear as the mouse hovered (without clicking) to make it more like 'a walk around Aston as we knew it'. I'm hoping that a programmer my son knows will be able to create the code for this.
Maurice, my mother's family (Keight) also lived at Bartons Bank (No 2) around 1896, I only found this out from a birth and death certificate at that address, they were not there on the 1891 or 1901 census.
John

I think it was Astoness (Lyn) who made the comment sometime ago about being able to walk up Park Lane with all the pictures we have. This prompted me to put these onto an interactive map. Please check it out.

www.leroux.co.uk/parklane/

It includes images from Aston Cross, High Street, The Retreat etc. in fact the more I delved into it the more pictures I found.
I should point out that my programming skills are very basic, comments/ideas/criticisms are welcome.

If I have infringed any copyrights please let me know and I will address this immediately.

All known pictures of Park lane and Parliament Street are on there, regarding other streets I have just used a limited selection.

John
That's excellent...the first thing I clicked on was the dentist Dr Lacey on Potters Hill. Our mom had all her teeth out there.
Dave A

just had a quick look at the map john loads to look at so i will take a good look later on tonight...well done to you:)

lyn

John,

As you wrote that last paragraph I was looking at an old thread that I had forgotten existed about 13 Bartons Bank. I must also replace two photographs that I had on there until the site was hacked - if I can find them!

Maurice

Dave,

Lacey's dental practice was a name from the past - all my mother's family went there in the 1940s & 50s.

Maurice

Maurice, it would be great to see those photographs if you can find them, there are hundreds of Aston photos on the internet but sadly a lot of streets without any.

John

John,

If I remember correctly they were pictures of family at 2/15 Bartons Bank, not of Bartons Bank itself. I remember that right opposite the entrance to those back houses there was a coal merchant on the other side of the road. It will be later tomorrow before I can have a look.

Maurice

Dave,

Lacey's dental practice was a name from the past - all my mother's family went there in the 1940s & 50s.

Maurice
For me, it had great significance, not to muddy the thread but our mom's life changed so much after her ordeal, and not in a positive way.
Dave A

John,

If I remember correctly they were pictures of family at 2/15 Bartons Bank, not of Bartons Bank itself. I remember that right opposite the entrance to those back houses there was a coal merchant on the other side of the road. It will be later tomorrow before I can have a look.

Maurice
John, wasn't there a Bartons Bank on the corner of Milton St and Newtown Row?
Dave A

Hi Dave, just had a look at some old maps but the only Bartons Bank I can see is the one running off Potters Hill, I wish we had some pictures of it, it would be good to see the houses my mum's grandfather lived in.

John L

upper thomas st dated 1968..think i had a rellie here must check my papers..

View attachment 117404
Can'nt picture this house or shop...I lived opposite the school..the only sweet shop was run by the Rogers family opposite the junior section.....this house in between...Tower Road and Sutton street.?....the only other shop was my aunties...opposite the Seniors entrance. we lived next door and my family had done since 1900.+

Can'nt picture this house or shop...I lived opposite the school..the only sweet shop was run by the Rogers family opposite the junior section.....this house in between...Tower Road and Sutton street.?....the only other shop was my aunties...opposite the Seniors entrance. we lived next door and my family had done since 1900.+
Hi, What a nostalgic photo, I think this was 44 Upper Thomas Street, in 1943 it was being sold as a corner retail shop and dwelling house. John

Well My House is going to remain very dusty over the next few day's,These photo's are absolutely wonderful....I'm totally in awe with them...Can't stop going through all of them,they really are amazing..Thank you so much for these Postings.,,,

Hi Ray, thanks for your rewarding comments, I'm by no means a competent programmer but by the power of google I was able to modify some HTML code that I found. Basically you need MS notepad (or similar) for the HTML code, a decent scan of the map (JPG), Paintshop Pro (or similar) to put the little blue spots on the map, the images of course and a lot of spare time.

It took me about 4 full days to complete but I kept finding more and more images that deserved to be included. If you wanted to have a go I could talk you through it, would probably be best to send a personal message with your email rather than have us cluttering the forum. Thanks again, John

Two similar pics from the Newtown/Lozells area ....
A view down Lennox Street. Construction of the P.O. tower in the pic was completed in 1965 so the date of the pic could be after then and maybe into the early 1970s. The tall 15 storey tower block on the left is Martineau Tower and the tall tower on the right is Scholefield Tower with the smaller 11 storey Bowater House tower seen between them.
Pic 1.
Lennox.jpg
A view down Anglesey Street. The tower block on the left is Rea Tower with Teviot Tower on the right. The houses on the left can be seen today. The Mini car reg suffix 'L' was issued in 1972.
Pic 2.
AngleseyStreet.jpg

Last edited:
OlMowhawk."
If you click on the first of these two and save it saves as "Newtown_-_Lennox_Street_-_Gerrard_Streetzt_23-7-1968" So presumably this is the date of the photo

Hi Mike,
I have often found that image dates on the internet can be wrong but the first image is from the Lennox Street thread and 1968 looks about right. The second pic can be seen in other places on the internet tagged as Lennox St but the P.O. tower should always be in view so I knew it was not Lennox Street. It took some searching to finally decide that it was Angesley St and only confirmed by studying lintels above house windows !

Sutton Parade late 1960s and a zebra crossing in need of a repaint but nice and handy for that Woolworths store.
SuttonWoolies.jpg

oldMohawks Lennox St photo #5,267 from yesterday. The shop on the left looks like the fish and chip shop I knew in early 1960s on the corner of Clifford St. Always called it "the crinklies" because their chips were crinkled. Wonder if anyone can verify that I'm not losing my memory.

Banjo

From the 1965 edition of Kelly's Trade Directory. 128 Lennox Street (corner of Clifford Street) The Welcome Fried Fish Dealer.

hi susan yes i like the wheeler st pic as well...we dont get many photos of the backs of houses..

thanks john..yes W H PRICE have come along way since those days...as you know i worked for them in the early 70s down summer lane....

lyn

Just saw this Lyn , you must have known a chap named Phil small frail looking chap , he worked on the trade counter I think . He used to be a DJ at weekends he played a couple of times in The Shareholders , I fixed one of his disco lamps , for which he was very grateful

this is the one i was talking about....just a solitary figure walking down an entry maybe coming home from the pub..looks like a ciggie box thrown on the floor..cant explain why this one fascinates me either...

entry leading to granville st...ladywood..

View attachment 117612

Lyn another one I've just noticed , I used to play with a mate who lived in the first house once you got passed the loo which is the building with the slight roof overhang. Right at the far end was where we used to have the annual bonfire . I think Carl Chinn some years ago done a feature on this yard as it contravened fire regulations

its great to see this thread picking up now..thanks to everyone for posting their old street pics...

residents of granville st (off broad st) after a campain to get them re housed has proved successful..oct 1965

View attachment 117613

rear of st martins st ...edgbaston dated 1965

View attachment 117614

birchfield road...perry barr dated..1967

View attachment 117615

Lyn I don''t know whether you are aware the people in the Granville St pic above are the residents ath the top of that entry in pic 423 my mates Mother is the woman in the black and white coat, there are a couple of women that lived in Granville St and never lived up that entry . I suppose they just got in the pic to make the numbers up

Back