• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Trams commenced in 1911, so the date is very close. I notice many of the properties have lost their chimney stacks and the loss of the upper bay window of what was Stephens linen and haberdashery store does spoil the appearance of the terrace. I wonder if that place has been involved in a fire? The bay on the adjacent shop (formerly dairy) seems in good order. I like the three gas lanterns outside the haberdashers and post office. It is also noteworthy how long Birmingham's lamp posts lasted. Here they are at the early part of the 20th. century and were still around at then end of it. (I await a photo of one taken recently:D )

Well that’s lovely OM. Mr Stephens must have been an astute businessman. I’d put money on the man to the left with boater is him; dapper, immaculate shirt collar, looks confident. And I expect that’s his wife in the Post Office doorway. Viv.

Looking at the row of shops and thinking about the current dismay at the loss of 'High Street shopping' I wonder how many of those started out as just dwellings and were later turned into shops by enterprising occupants.

As we now seem to have a glut of empty shops and a shortage of dwellings maybe it's time to reverse that process.

Hello Ray,
I remember Mrs. Spencer's shop well, the fly paper hanging from the gas light ! My childhood friend was Alan Nash, he and his family-mom Lilly sister and dad, lived up the "entry." There was a Brew house, and us kids were banned on monday, wash day. Alan and I both went to Christ Church school, but Alan was a year ahead. We used to race around the block, King st. Main st. And the lane, on our three wheelers.I used to fetch a chip supper from Hickys ?
For granddad when he visited on Fridays. He would give me loose change from his pocket. If there was enouph I would buy the Eagle commic from Gascoigne's the news agent in Montpellier St.
It was not all good but the happy memories dominate.
I hated Golden Hillock school, we had tech drawing in the annex,
The sadistic teacher cained the whole class for dirty hands, some introduction ! My oldest friend Kul became head boy he had praise for the school.
Best regards John

Hello, John,
I've only just seen this post for some reason. The new forum layout hid it from me somehow.
I remember all those things too. You could almost have been describing my own childhood. We lived down the entry with Mrs Spencer's shop at the top. Alan Nash lived there. Lily was my mom's name and I had a sister (later two) and dad, so I wonder if you're confusing me with him there. The brew house was a big feature. I went to Christ Church school too and well remember the fish and chips from Hicky's. The Eagle comic was a favourite of mine, though I'd forgotten the name of Gascoine's in Montpellier St (where I spent hours trainspotting below the bridge). I think I remember Kul at Golden Hillock secondary modern as a very well behaved Asian boy. Some of the sadism dished out by a few teachers will never be forgotten.

Regards, Ray

Anyone walking along Anderton Road could not fail to see that massive tall chimney beyond the Marlborough Pub. It just about shows on the edge of an aerial pic dated 1920 and looks taller than any of the other factory chimney in the district. On a 1914 map it is on a building between Montgomery Street and the canal next to a 'Corporation Wharf' and has a canal basin on the site.
andertonrd.jpg

Last edited:
Screenshot (240).png Recently found on facebook. Corner of Carrs Lane and Moor Street. Don't remember the view. Was the pub "The Corner"? Cars include Mayflower & Javelin? Survived WW2 but got swept away by 1960's ring road development.

Last edited:
Phil

On your photo of Anderton Road , I think the chimney stack on your photo could have quite possibly belonged to Birmingham City Council's refuse destructor works that stood there at one time.

View attachment 128076 Recently found on facebook. Corner of Carrs Lane and Moor Street. Don't remember the view. Was the pub "The Corner"? Cars include Mayflower & Javelin? Survived WW2 but got swept away by 1960's ring road development.
Devon Jim
Going to correct you, politely of course, the Jowett Javelin is a series 1 Standard Vanguard with a Birmingham Registration Number, actually they were my first two cars loved them both. Interestingly enough (I always say that before I bore you stiff with trivia) JOV was issued July 19491540198726939.jpeg and the Vanguard introduced July 1947, so bearing in mind the privations of the time and the fact that the bulk of British Cars were exported, that arm out of the window could be somebody quite well off. The Mayflower was introduced in 1949, again made by Standard as Triumph had become part of the Standard Group by then, it would be interesting to be able to date the picture, the only other recognisable modern car is the Morris (I think) coming out of the side road, which was again a late 40s car.

Bob

Ah! Those Standard Vanguards, we had them in the RAF - they rolled like pigs!! The Mayflower (had a bigger sister known as a Renown) was a smart looking car. I understand it was expensive to build due to its angular design. Maybe someone from the car industry ma know if that is correct or a myth?

Last edited:
Ah! Those Standard Vanguards, we had them in the RAF - they rolled like pigs!! The Mayflower (had a bigger sister known as a Renown) was a smart looking car. I understand it was expensive to build due to its angular design. Maybe someone from the car industry ma know if that is correct or a myth?
Alan all the scale model Vanguards made in the RAF identity were Model 3. However that rolling was handy with the bench front seat and a young lady (my wife) besides menudge,nudge, wink, wink.

Bob

Alan all the scale model Vanguards made in the RAF identity were Model 3. However that rolling was handy with the bench front seat and a young lady (my wife) besides menudge,nudge, wink, wink.

Bob
I did a staff car drivers course driving bull nosed vanguards? Bloody awful car, twitchy steering & prone to oil leaks ( had to put a drip tray under the car at the end of the day). In Germany i drove fords, Zephyrs 4/6, & loved bombing down the Autobahn at over a ton. Not sure if you can do that on the Autobahn these day.:cool:

Be proud of our country, buy British.

I did a staff car drivers course driving bull nosed vanguards? Bloody awful car, twitchy steering & prone to oil leaks ( had to put a drip tray under the car at the end of the day). In Germany i drove fords, Zephyrs 4/6, & loved bombing down the Autobahn at over a ton. Not sure if you can do that on the Autobahn these day.:cool:

Well, Smudger confirms what many MT guys said about that car. :D. Bob, as far as women were concerned there were never any in the car I was in, but that is not so say that on other occasions there may have been. (Well, there were WRAF girls on many stations.):eek:

Off theme of course, but mine ran with only three cylinders and blown exhaust.

Bob

Devon Jim
Going to correct you, politely of course, the Jowett Javelin is a series 1 Standard Vanguard with a Birmingham Registration Number, actually they were my first two cars loved them both. Interestingly enough (I always say that before I bore you stiff with trivia) JOV was issued July 1949View attachment 128142 and the Vanguard introduced July 1947, so bearing in mind the privations of the time and the fact that the bulk of British Cars were exported, that arm out of the window could be somebody quite well off. The Mayflower was introduced in 1949, again made by Standard as Triumph had become part of the Standard Group by then, it would be interesting to be able to date the picture, the only other recognisable modern car is the Morris (I think) coming out of the side road, which was again a late 40s car.

Bob

I don't think the car in the earlier picture is a Vanguard Bob, I think it's Singer SM1500.
The one coming out of the side road is a series 2 Morris Oxford...…………….I think. :)

I don't think the car in the earlier picture is a Vanguard Bob, I think it's Singer SM1500.
The one coming out of the side road is a series 2 Morris Oxford...…………….I think. :)
Yes, I am sure Eric is correct about the Singer. One of my nicest cars was a Singer Vogue Estate (not like the one in the photo however); went miles with the family in it.

Eric dates the introduction of the Morris Oxford as 1954. Indeed the photo has to be that date or after it. No tram tracks or overhead are visible; the last trams to use those tracks were those of the last tramway closure in 1953. They used Carrs Lane and Moor Street to run from Steelhouse Lane to Kyotts Lake Road.

I think it was Astoness (Lyn) who made the comment sometime ago about being able to walk up Park Lane with all the pictures we have. This prompted me to put these onto an interactive map. Please check it out.

www.leroux.co.uk/parklane/

NOTE: TEMPORARILY DISABLED A NEW VERSION IS BEING CREATED

It includes images from Aston Cross, High Street, The Retreat etc. in fact the more I delved into it the more pictures I found.
I should point out that my programming skills are very basic, comments/ideas/criticisms are welcome.

If I have infringed any copyrights please let me know and I will address this immediately.

All known pictures of Park lane and Parliament Street are on there, regarding other streets I have just used a limited selection.

John

Last edited:
John, I am very impressed with this interactive map, a great way to contextualize the area with the photos. It something that I think would prove quite useful.

Thanks

Back