• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blakenhale Junior School

Brummieletts

proper brummie kid
picture 2.jpgpicture 6.jpgpicture 10.jpg

My father, Bill Letts was involved in the Outmoor Road Social Commitee in 1953. they envolved thelocal residents, from Blakenhale Rd and surrounding area. Photos are from the cornation. the school is Blakenhale Junior School. The band that was setting up is the 'Hal Letts' Dance band, of which my dad was the drummer.
I know they put on a number of dances in the school and surrounding area. does anyone remember them? Dad was still playing the drummers at 60 (1980)

Does anyone recognise anybody in the photos?

Brummie letts

Attachments

• picture 7.jpg
    picture 7.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 44
  • picture 12.jpg
    picture 12.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 42
Can anyone remember Blakenhale Junior School. I went there in the mid 50s, I lived in Outmore Road, at the Technical College End. My teachers were Mrs Chant, Miss Johns, Mr Hawker and Mr Owen. The names I can remember from my year group were Robert Cooper, Robert Wilcox, Gary Hatter, Peter McMahon, Kenneth Salisbury, Stephen Goodfellow, Barry Cross, Melvin Mitchinson, Marilyn Mitchinson, David Palfrey, Roger Turner, John Goodby, David Evans, Ian Elton, Shelia Dallas, Christine Ireland, Warren Simmons, Bryan Beroll, Alan Law, Michael Gardner, Paul Baverstock, Margaret Ravenhill, Karen Leatherbarrow, Margaret Neate, Estelle Danks, Linda Burns, Ronald Tanser, Tony Peverall, Terry Shepperd, David Cashmore, Susan Chawner, Susan Taylor, Robert Murrow, Alan Greensall, Peter Franklin, Sally Knight, Roger Murray, Alan Pattisson, Stephen Ingram, Tony Harrell, Ian Spencer. There must be at least double that I can't remember as there were probably about 35/40 in each class in those days. I remember wagon wheels and other goodies being sold in the three doorways at the top of the playground, the headmaster playing us classical music in assembly every morning and having to wave snotty hankies in the air to prove you had brought one to school.
Malcolm Robinson

I was there until 1959 after being transferred from Cockshut Hill. Don't remember any of those names. I lived off Garretts Green Lane.

I was born at the end of 1952 so I probably started in the junior school in 1958/59. I think I went to the Infants school at about four and a half stayed a couple of years then moved to the juniors as I say about 58/59.

I was at Blakenhale a while before you, I left in July 1951. Surprisingly I don't remember any of the staff members that you mention, they must have had quite a turnover. The headmaster in my time was Mr. Hardingham. I recognize some of the pupils you mention as the younger siblings of people I knew. ie the Mitchinson twins and Robert Morrow.

Mr Hardingham was still there when I was too. We went on a trip to Blankenberg in Belgium with the school in 1962 and Mr Hardingham's daughter and husband came along as supervisors if I remember correctly. I can't really remember any other teachers except a Mr Davies who taught a 4th year class. I knew Robert Morrow because he played in the football team and I knew the Mitchinsons because they lived near the school gate and the bottom of Hadland Road. The same road my great aunt Gertie Farmer and her children lived, my great uncle had died in 1956. Her children who I assume went to Blakenhale too probably may have started their about same time as you. There was Maureen (b.1936), Majorie (B.1938) Hazell (B.1942) Arnold Farmer (b.1946), so they could have been there in the late 40's early 50's.

I THINK, it was a long time ago, that the Farmers lived at 21, Hadland I recall a dad person called Bill and a lunatic spaniel. Staff names at the junior school when I was there that I remember are, Garrison, Rome, Permaine, Shellard. My mom worked in the school kitchen for a while, and my two brothers went to both the infants and the juniors, they were born 1947 & 1949. I posted a Hadland Rd coronation picture on BHF a while ago. See:-
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...day-celebrations-1953.9683/page-6#post-592317
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?attachments/img083-3-jpg.114433/

Last edited:
I have just had a look on the 'google maps street view' of Hadland Road and I think my Farmers lived at No 17. The reason I say that, is that their house was in the block that fell back a bit and they had an entry, their house on the left of it from the road. I vaguely remember a story that one of their friends got shot in the eye with a pellet gun either through their back gate or as he opened their back gate. My great uncle's name was Richard Samuel Farmer but he was known as Sam and as I say died about 1956.

I seem to remember Robert Morrow and Roger Mullins as well as the Mitchinsons lived in the road. On the corner of Hadland and Hollyfaste lived a lad called Dave Nash who was a friend of a cousin of mine.

Thanks for the links to the photos. I don't recognise any of the teachers you mentioned except Mr Permaine. He was really really strict and apparently was very handy throwing the board rubber across the classroom. I remember a boy in my 3rd year class, John Goodby, crying on the last day of the third year when he was told he was going into Mr Permaine's class. I was lucky and went into Mr Owen's class who was really encouraging and an excellent teacher. A great change from my previous teacher Mr edit to remove named person who used to wack me with the board ruler nearly every day because my handwriting wasn't tidy enough or the patterns we had to draw and colour at the end of our written work wasn't neat enough for him. He also set us poems to learn and if he picked on you to recite what you had learnt and you got it wrong you got the board ruler across the backside for that. No wonder I have always hated poetry.

Malcolm

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a boy in my class being shot in the eye, his name was Steve White.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you we were away for the weekend. It must be the same Steven White who was shot in the eye as the Farmer family friend who was similarly injured. It would be too much of a coincidence not to be. As I said I don't remember any detail except being told the story that he had been shot in the eye. I hope he was eventually okay. If Steven was in your class was Arnold Farmer in your year group. He was born in 1946.

Malcolm Robinson

Maybe it wasn't the same Steven then or maybe it was just a group of friends from the same area who were messing about together when the accident happened. I was born in December 1952 and lived in Outmore Road, opposite what was Garretts Green Technical College. My father still going at 90 lives there and I come up every 6/7 weeks to visit him. The school still looks basically the same but has 'additions' here there and everywhere. I did write to the school to ask if I could visit just to have a look around but they said that wouldn't be possible for security reasons. Would have been nice to look around again after 60 odd years!

Malcolm Robinson

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you we were away for the weekend. It must be the same Steven White who was shot in the eye as the Farmer family friend who was similarly injured. It would be too much of a coincidence not to be. As I said I don't remember any detail except being told the story that he had been shot in the eye. I hope he was eventually okay. If Steven was in your class was Arnold Farmer in your year group. He was born in 1946.

Malcolm Robinson
Hi. I remember Roy Evans being shot in the eye in Arnold Farmer's back garden, I think mid 60s. Roy then had a glass eye. None of the Farmer family was at fault.

I have just had a look on the 'google maps street view' of Hadland Road and I think my Farmers lived at No 17. The reason I say that, is that their house was in the block that fell back a bit and they had an entry, their house on the left of it from the road. I vaguely remember a story that one of their friends got shot in the eye with a pellet gun either through their back gate or as he opened their back gate. My great uncle's name was Richard Samuel Farmer but he was known as Sam and as I say died about 1956.

I seem to remember Robert Morrow and Roger Mullins as well as the Mitchinsons lived in the road. On the corner of Hadland and Hollyfaste lived a lad called Dave Nash who was a friend of a cousin of mine.

Thanks for the links to the photos. I don't recognise any of the teachers you mentioned except Mr Permaine. He was really really strict and apparently was very handy throwing the board rubber across the classroom. I remember a boy in my 3rd year class, John Goodby, crying on the last day of the third year when he was told he was going into Mr Permaine's class. I was lucky and went into Mr Owen's class who was really encouraging and an excellent teacher. A great change from my previous teacher Mr Hawker who used to wack me with the board ruler nearly every day because my handwriting wasn't tidy enough or the patterns we had to draw and colour at the end of our written work wasn't neat enough for him. He also set us poems to learn and if he picked on you to recite what you had learnt and you got it wrong you got the board ruler across the backside for that. No wonder I have always hated poetry.

Malcolm
I believe that the Farmer's lived at No 11. From the top of the road on the odd numbers were No3 Nash, No5 Evans, No 7 Bic's, No9 Kirby's and I believe then the Farmer's, their block set back. I had stated that Roy Evans was shot in the eye in the Farmer's back garden but you are correct, it was through the gate.

I believe that the Farmer's lived at No 11. From the top of the road on the odd numbers were No3 Nash, No5 Evans, No 7 Bic's, No9 Kirby's and I believe then the Farmer's, their block set back. I had stated that Roy Evans was shot in the eye in the Farmer's back garden but you are correct, it was through the gate.
Thank you so much for the information. I lived in Outmore Road and I only knew Hadland because of the Farmer family, my mothers uncle, aunt and cousins and a few school friends who lived there. I seem to remember a lad called Evans who was in the year above me at Blakenhale and he went on the same school trip as me to Belgium in about 1962. I'm not sure if he was a Roy or not or maybe a brother? Do you know anymore about the incident? All I remember is being told that a lad had been shot in the eye with a pellet gun through the Farmer's gate. No one ever said if it was a Farmer that was involved. I'm glad they weren't even though I'm sure it was an accident. Malcolm Robinson

Hello Malcolm.
Regarding the pellet rifle incident, Roy Evans was shot in one eye through Arnold Farmer’s back gate. This was a total accident, both parties were not aware of each other being where they were or what they were doing. If the pellet had of been fired a split second earlier, Roy would not have been in position to have been hit. I do know the name of the shooter but it would be unfair for me to disclose his name. However, he was probably the oldest lad amongst the group in Arnold’s back garden. He was a really nice lad well-liked by many. The incident affected him immensely and the family moved away not long afterwards.
Regarding the Belgium trip from Blakenhale School. There were 3 Evan’s boys, Douglas born approx 1948, Roy born approx. 1950 early 51 and Alan was born 1952.
Alan is no longer with us. At 6am 10th March 1997 the M42 was engulfed in a wall of thick fog – leading to one of the most horrific pile-ups in motorway history. The multi-vehicle smash near Alvechurch left three people dead and 62 injured. Alan was travelling to work, he was involved and survived, although, I believe that he had serious brain damage and passed away several years later. Very sad.
I have very fond memories of Douglas Evan’s, David Nash, Alan Evan’s and myself visiting the Swan public house at Yardley every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening. Doug and Dave were older than me and Alan, we were both 15. I’m sorry to sound an old fossil but 4 pints of lemonade ;) 10 Park Drive cigarettes and I had change out of ten bob (50p). Great great lads. Phil.

There must have been a turn over of people from when we lived in Hadland Rd.! What you describe as "Farmers" was Brailsford's next down was Pearson's then Whitlock's and then I think William's.

Hello Malcolm.
Regarding the pellet rifle incident, Roy Evans was shot in one eye through Arnold Farmer’s back gate. This was a total accident, both parties were not aware of each other being where they were or what they were doing. If the pellet had of been fired a split second earlier, Roy would not have been in position to have been hit. I do know the name of the shooter but it would be unfair for me to disclose his name. However, he was probably the oldest lad amongst the group in Arnold’s back garden. He was a really nice lad well-liked by many. The incident affected him immensely and the family moved away not long afterwards.
Regarding the Belgium trip from Blakenhale School. There were 3 Evan’s boys, Douglas born approx 1948, Roy born approx. 1950 early 51 and Alan was born 1952.
Alan is no longer with us. At 6am 10th March 1997 the M42 was engulfed in a wall of thick fog – leading to one of the most horrific pile-ups in motorway history. The multi-vehicle smash near Alvechurch left three people dead and 62 injured. Alan was travelling to work, he was involved and survived, although, I believe that he had serious brain damage and passed away several years later. Very sad.
I have very fond memories of Douglas Evan’s, David Nash, Alan Evan’s and myself visiting the Swan public house at Yardley every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening. Doug and Dave were older than me and Alan, we were both 15. I’m sorry to sound an old fossil but 4 pints of lemonade ;) 10 Park Drive cigarettes and I had change out of ten bob (50p). Great great lads. Phil.
Thank you so much for all this information. It was a great shame a simple accident caused so many people so much heartache. Now you have mentioned the name I remembered it was Alan Evans who went to Belgium. He was in the year above me. We went to Blakenberg and on the beaches then there were still a few gun emplacements and we were all playing in and around them. As Alan came out of the entrance, at that moment another lad kicked a coke bottle across the beach towards the emplacement and it bounced up and hit Alan across the eyebrow. I can't be certain but I think he had to have it stitched. He ended up with a real shiner. But all the fourth year lads were wicked and would have lynched the lad who kicked the bottle given half a chance. If they knew about Roy's accident that would explain why. His parents must have been mortified. I was sorry to hear Alan has passed away and in such tragic circumstances.

If you knew Dave Nash you may well have known my cousin Keith Robinson. He was a friend of Dave's for a while, he was in the army for a while. I don't know where he would have met Dave, although for a while he lived in Garretts Green Lane somewhere between the shops and Markfield Road. I also knew Dave very slightly just to nod and say hello too.

I didn't frequent the Swan much, we used to go to the 'progressive music' night on Sunday at the Rio Grande Suite at the Yew Tree. My first pint of mild at the bar in the Mackadown cost me 10d, long before the days of lager! I graduated to Brown and Mild and later Guinness. I don't know if you can get Mann's Brown anymore. Did you drink in the Chestnuts? Or the King of Bohemia in Comberton Road? Anyway, thank you again for the info. Malcolm Robinson

Found a couple of photos of the 1962/63 Blakenhale trip to Blakenberge Belgium. It was 'third year pupils and fourth year pupils'. The first one only shows me part facing the camera. The second is a group of us watching a lady making lace. Hope someone recognises themselves or a friend. Malcolm Robinson

Attachments

• Blakenhale 1.jpg
    Blakenhale 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Blakenhale 2.jpg
    Blakenhale 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 45

Thanks for the links to the photos. I don't recognise any of the teachers you mentioned except Mr Permaine. He was really really strict and apparently was very handy throwing the board rubber across the classroom. I remember a boy in my 3rd year class, John Goodby, crying on the last day of the third year when he was told he was going into Mr Permaine's class. I was lucky and went into Mr Owen's class who was really encouraging and an excellent teacher. A great change from my previous teacher Mr Hawker who used to wack me with the board ruler nearly every day because my handwriting wasn't tidy enough or the patterns we had to draw and colour at the end of our written work wasn't neat enough for him. He also set us poems to learn and if he picked on you to recite what you had learnt and you got it wrong you got the board ruler across the backside for that. No wonder I have always hated poetry.

Malcolm
Only just found this site. I was here from !950 to 1954 my last teacher was Mr Permaine he was strict , and like the boy crying when told which class he was in I thought Oh no. But he was a great teacher . The boy who lost his eye I believe was Stephen White lived in Admington Rd. Someone throw a Firework which hit him in the face outside The Cabin pub. Steve went on to become a Headmaster of a school in Sutton Coldfield, and must be retired now. Mike Smith

Malcolm...... Alan Greensall here. I still remember being in your front room when the TV went off due to the President Kennedy being shot. I used to go to your house for lunch and loved the frozen Angel Delights. Another memory is when your dad got a mini. Remember getting in and how the start button was on the floor

Hi Master brummie, Dave Nash here, just joined & wow I can’t believe I’ve missed all this! I remember very well what you & Malcolm are saying, I ‘ll reply again when Iget a few minutes.

Thank you so much for all this information. It was a great shame a simple accident caused so many people so much heartache. Now you have mentioned the name I remembered it was Alan Evans who went to Belgium. He was in the year above me. We went to Blakenberg and on the beaches then there were still a few gun emplacements and we were all playing in and around them. As Alan came out of the entrance, at that moment another lad kicked a coke bottle across the beach towards the emplacement and it bounced up and hit Alan across the eyebrow. I can't be certain but I think he had to have it stitched. He ended up with a real shiner. But all the fourth year lads were wicked and would have lynched the lad who kicked the bottle given half a chance. If they knew about Roy's accident that would explain why. His parents must have been mortified. I was sorry to hear Alan has passed away and in such tragic circumstances.

If you knew Dave Nash you may well have known my cousin Keith Robinson. He was a friend of Dave's for a while, he was in the army for a while. I don't know where he would have met Dave, although for a while he lived in Garretts Green Lane somewhere between the shops and Markfield Road. I also knew Dave very slightly just to nod and say hello too.

I didn't frequent the Swan much, we used to go to the 'progressive music' night on Sunday at the Rio Grande Suite at the Yew Tree. My first pint of mild at the bar in the Mackadown cost me 10d, long before the days of lager! I graduated to Brown and Mild and later Guinness. I don't know if you can get Mann's Brown anymore. Did you drink in the Chestnuts? Or the King of Bohemia in Comberton Road? Anyway, thank you again for the info. Malcolm Robinson
Hi Malcolm, Dave Nash here, just joined & cant believe I missed all these memories, I’ll post again when I get more time.

Back