• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TOWER ROAD ASTON B6

WHAT YEARS WERE YOURS AT 175-155, AS I SAID MY NAN LIVED AT 173 & BACK OF 155.
NEXT TO 173 WAS THE MISSION HALL THEN THE HP VINAGAR BREWERY VATS. AS I HAVE SAID THE HOUSES AT THE BACK OF 155 WERE BOMBED IN THE 2nd WW. I DON'T KNOW BUT I WOULD THINK THE HOUSES YOU ARE LOOKING FOR WOULD BE THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HP? BUT THE NUMBER DO NOT FIT?
I KNOW 155 WAS ABOVE 173 ON THE UPPERSIDE OF THE HP,BUT YOUR NUMBERING WOULD PUT 175 BELOW 173.
May be they were all rebuilt when HP built the vinegar brewery?
HOPE I HAVE NOT CONFUSED YOU TO MUCH
Regards ASTON

aston I forgot to say my nan was also born in tower road she was born 1895 at 19 court tower road would this be the same sort of houses that are in your picture.

I have a family that I think may be in my tree that I am looking at
On the marriage cert it states Henry Arthur Underhill 20 Church Road Aston Manor then Agnes Maud Brazier 17 Court 9 House Tower Road Aston Manor. Doing check ups on the electoral roll I found Joseph Brazier William Brazier and Henry Underhill or living at 13 Court 17 Tower Road showing Agnes Underhill in 1930 probably when ladies could vote. Are these names familiar to anyone? I assume Henry Underhill died in 31-32 since his name doesn't appear anymore and up until 1962 Agnes Underhill and William Brazier appear at 13 back of 129 Tower Road.

Thanks Aston, the marriage of Henry and Agnes was in 1913, I'm assuming that William Brazier must be Agnes Brother since he was still living at 13 back of 129 in 1963, I was hoping that since it was a later time it might jog someones memory and maybe I could put this into some sort of context. I have 2 Henry Underhills married to a Jane one to Jane Davis and one to Jane Huckerby both had a son named Henry, I am trying to determine which one was my gg grandfather that died in the 1st WW and what happened to Henry Jnr. I thought that this Henry Underhill married to Agnes might be the elusive Junior, his mother was Jane Davis..........very strange and I thought Underhill was an unusual name!!!!!!!!

3 back of 134 Tower Road

I lived in Tower Road at 3 back of 134 with my parents up until 1962-ish, and my dads parents lived there too at 113 tower road, until later in the 60's. We moved to Kingstanding, where my parents still live now in the same house. Later I went to King Edward VI school on Frederick Road and remember the area being bulldozed :Aah: to make way for the expressway. I used to walk through and over the rubble on my way to newtown baths for the sports afternoon lessons. wish i had taken photos of it all now, but at the time you dont think about it do you.:rolleyes:

My Mom & I in the July Sunshine 1960, back garden of 173 Tower Road ASTON Birmingham 6.

173_JULY_1960__(2).JPG

Tower rd

Went to my sisters yesterday and had a good old rumage through the old photo's. We had real laugh looking back and I found a few to bring home and scan. Now I am mastering the art of putting photo's on the site there will be no stopping me, so be warned.
First is my aunt Olive moms youngest sister outside grans outdoor,next my mom on the step, then mom and other sister Elsie, Aston you remember all these as your mom and Elsie were mates. Next having a sample of nans beer, it was the best pint around I was told. Last a few years on in nans outdoor, back uncle Bill then aunt Elsie, then nan then grandad. In front left Mrs Bonehill, cant think of the other ladies name do you know it Aston?
Everyone used to come in nans for a pint she used to have a bench in there and it used to get really packed, more like a little pub room.
I used to go up and get behind the counter and polish the big copper jugs she had for measuring the beer when folks came in to have a pint in a jug or bottle to take home. Sometimes if Grandad wasn't around she would let me pull the beer.
It was nice looking back yesterday, you dont realise what good times you had without a lot of money, I think memories are worth a lot more.

:angel: I know I've asked Aston before, but he couldn't remember the family.
Although John Houghton's Brother the window cleaner in that area did have a vague memory of the family.
Now I'm wondering if any of you 'New folk' may remember them at all?

The Crosbee's : Ida, Bert, Sheila, Robert. (or even the Beeley's, Wood's or Martin's)

Ida L (Née) Wood Married Herbert Frank Crosbee in 1937. They lived on the corner of Tower Rd and either Upper Sutton St or Upper Thomas St. I do not know what number Tower Rd it was (and that's what I need to know), but I remember their back gate was in either of those two streets.

Ida had been living with her family in Upper Thomas St before her marriage, with, her sister Madge Wood who married George Martin (I believe he was a builder) they and their children lived At 230 Park Lane with my Nan Clara (Formally Wood, Née Deakin), The family had moved into the area from Ladywood sometime after 1920

Sheila Crosbee born 1937 was an invalid from early childhood, she spent much time in the General Hospital and drove the first invalid's three wheel car in Brum, she married Leslie Fowler in the 1960's

Robert was born 1946 as was known as Bobby, he was a keen roller skater and attended Upper Thomas St School.

Any Knowledge of this family from 1920 0n words would be appreciated :cool:

Hi Pomgolian, Now I do remember Crosbee's of Tower Road they lived just above our house 173, as you say almost on the corner of Upper Sutton Street this was just above the HP Vinagar Brewery if my memory serves me correct there was a yard or somthing before you came to the actual corner,there was a small shop just round in Upper Sutton Street I remember used to sell pop ginger beer with flip stoppers.
Its amazing how just one small statment can bring back the memories
Thanks
ASTON

Aston I know your face from that photo??? really

Last edited by a moderator:
I can smell that lovely Ansells beer, i also like the shoes on the first photograph. Happy days

Hi Aston. I was a 'nipper' when we moved to 2 back 181 Tower road, about 1955. My Draper relatives were at 4 back 181 in 1920, although I don't know any first names. I also have Roberts (grandmothers' side), living at 5 Court 29 Tower Rd., and at 9 Court 6 Tower Rd. Do these names stir any memories for anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unknown Lady

. Last a few years on in nans outdoor, back uncle Bill then aunt Elsie, then nan then grandad. In front left Mrs Bonehill, cant think of the other ladies name do you know it Aston?Hi Patty, The other lady I think could be Mrs Farmer ??? who lived next door to us & over the road from the outdoor, (its been along time ago so please forgive me if I am wrong:D )
ASTON

Hi everyone. Just found this thread and thought I would ask if anyone remembers my husbands grandparents Frank & Elizabeth Ravenscroft. They married in 1919 and family think they moved to Tower Road but don't know the number - they may have run a sweet shop but not sure on this. Their children were Frank Jr, Percy (hubby's grandad), Arthur & Ivy. Also Annie Degg who was Elizabeth's daughter before her marriage to Frank. Any info would be appreciated.

Tower Road Aston

Hi all recently discovered my granfather Albert Goodger lived at 10 Court 7 Tower Road Aston thanks for all the info and pictures

tower road aston

Any photos or memories of life in Tower Road ASTON BIRMINGHAM 6.
I lived in the middle part of this road next to the vinegar vats of H.P. It was a little home from home area we had our own outdoor, sweet shop , food shop, and news agents ,veg shop on the corner of upper Sutton st.We even had our own mission hall, which served us over the years as a place of worship, British restaurant, and annex for upper thomas st school, for which the latter, my mom was caretaker until its close when thomas st was demolished to make way for the Aston expressway.
to start you of I post three pics; one of my brother and I in the back yard of 173 the door on the right is the out side LOO. The other two also taken in the same yard, my brother in his upper thomas st football kit (note the boots & the building in the back ground the VATS THAT EXPLODED IN THE 1950S), The last one of my brother and pals, note the missing fence blown down in a bad storm a few days before.
HOPE YOU ENJOY & KEEP THEM COMMING. O0
ASTON
Hi aston
this photo is the corner of upper tmomas street and tower road I went to the annex in tower road allso to aston hall road annex I lived in park lane
thanks ex aston
johnView attachment 9637

Hi John, Thank for the post, if you attended UTS ANX; inTower Road do you remember the Caretaker, if you do that was my Mom (Mrs Jenney) We lived next door at No 173.
ASTON

towe road aston

Hi John, Thank for the post, if you attended UTS ANX; inTower Road do you remember the Caretaker, if you do that was my
Hi aston
sorry do not remember your mom I do
remember a girl who lived next to the sweet shop her name was mavis hains
thanks john

John,
can you remember if she had a brother named Roy (Hayens?) he was one of my UTS school pals, I think they had an older sister, (name escapes me).
Before your time I am sure John.
Did any of you UTS STUDENTS go to the Anx at the top of Park Rd behind the Church on the right hand side, going towards Victoria Rd? this would be in the early 1950s.
ASTON

:angel: Hi Aston thought I'd let you know...
I looked my Crosbee's up at the B'Ham library while I was over in June-Sept. They lived at 217 Tower Rd and a Martin family had lived there in the 1920's according to JKC's list on The Main Site for Tower Rd.

Now my Aunt Madge Wood married a Martin and they ended up living at 230 Park Lane until 1960's redev' of the area. Her sister my Aunt Ida Wood married a Crosbee and lived at 217 Tower Rd. Both sister (my Dad's half sisters) and my Dad Les had lived at (What looks like) Howerd Place 7 back of 7 Upper Thomas St before they all Married.
One of the ladies I met at this years UTR knew my Crosbee family very well.

POM :angel:

tower road aston

John,
can you remember if she had a brother named Roy (Hayens?) he was one of my UTS school pals, I think they had an older sister, (name escapes me).
Before your time I am sure John.
Did any of you UTS STUDENTS go to the Anx at the top of Park Rd behind the Church on the right hand side, going towards Victoria Rd? this would be in the early 1950s.
ASTON
Hi aston
I dont think she had a brother I dont remember the anx at the top of park road
bit before my time
have you seen this photo bottom of park lane 1860s
still got the tollgate and part of the wall around aston hall thanks johnView attachment 9653

park lane

yes I have seen this photo before it appears to have been taken of the aston site also the shop on the corner of Upper Thomas street ?

JOHN , This is the out side of the ANX in Tower Rd, in the Pic is My Mom & Dad + My Brother we are just of on our holidays down to Devon in the 1960s.
We lived in the house to the left of the pic; the opening at the side lead to H.P. vinagar brewery car park
Is this the way you remember it?
ASTON

My_family_off_on_holiday_from_out_side_the_MISSION_HALL_TOWER_RD_ASTON.JPG

Back