• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

TOWER ROAD ASTON B6

This is the only picture i have seen of Tower Road,Aston.

Attachments

• Tower Road Aston.Outdoor I Think Uncle Albert Johns died while living here..JPG
    Tower Road Aston.Outdoor I Think Uncle Albert Johns died while living here..JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 100
Sorry Andy been out of action for a couple of weeks----my wife was born in tower road and lived there till 1970, I lived there from 66-70 when I got married and we all moved out when they started to knock them down we lived at 181 tower road, I do have a few slides of tower road from 66 in my loft somewhere I will sort them out and post them in the next few days what was your grandparents name, do you know what number they lived at.

I wonder if anyone remembers my grandparents William and Mabel Haines, they lived at 20/179 then 181 Tower road. My mom Maureen Haines and aunts Marjorie and Mavis Haines also lived there. I believe they went to upper Thomas street school. My nan Mabel Haines worked at the HP.

I can remember as a child tower road, but I think my nan moved out in about 1970 when I was 7.

l went to school with a Jean Haines at Burlington st school....l left school dec 1950 and l am sure Jean left about the same time...... know Jean lived in either Tower road or Clifton road... Brenda

Thats one I took from our front door 173 tower Rd ASTON. Iam back guys still a great site THANKS, regards Keith

oldboyblue ,Was Roy Haines part of your family he was on of my friends at Upper Thomas st we new him as "Zana" Time line 1948/1962

The Jenneys of on holiday (out side Helen Knox Mission Hall).jpg One more of Tower Road my family packing our car ready for a holiday in Devon. note Helen Knox Mission Hall in the background,this was used by Thomas st school as their annex of which my mom was careteker up the end of the school & buliding of the ASTON Express way.
the opening to the left of the picture is the entrance to the HP Car park.

Mom & Dads reseption at HELEN KNOX mission hall ( you can see on left the house my Nan lived in .jpg This is the rear of Helen Knox Mission Tower Road (later Upper Thomas St Annex ) little did my Mom & Dad know when this photo was taken that they would end up living in the house you see over the wall to the right 173 Tower road.
THE PHOTO take from MOM & DADs Wed album .

I remember the family very well, lovely family I married the youngest daughter Mavis perhaps we could meet up sometime

I lived at number 5 Tower Road, at the top end near Potters Hill. If my memory serves me correctly, at No.3 lived the Webb's and No.7 an old lady called Mrs Ford. This was between 1960 and 1967/8. I was around 9 years old when we left. I had a 'best mate' at the time name of Tommy Sheargold. Around the corner, down Potters Hill on the left, there was a sweet shop, run by an old couple. You mainly only saw the man, maybe because the lady had one eye/glass eye, which unfortunately freaked some kids out. In fact their back garden backed onto ours. Across from Tower Road on Potters Hill, was a family surname Cole. Their daughter Christine, would take my brother and I down to the ABC picture house on Six Ways on Saturday mornings. Just up the road from the Coles on Potters Hill on the left hand side, was a green-grocers run by a large man named Henry, and a bit further up, a bakery/cake shop on the corner (might have been a Wimbush), possibly run by a lady name Elsie? Also, not too sure about this, but I saw a photo on another site, of 'Austin's of Aston' car dealers, which was on Potter's Hill, but it didn't say what the name of the other road it was on the corner of. I think it may have been Tower Road, because a shop/business, that looked similar to the photo, was on the corner, but it was empty, and all the large windows had been 'white-washed'. Anyway, my mom's name was Mary, in case anyone on here may have known us. Cheers, I'm a new member living in Perth, Australia now, so it's great to have discovered this site.

Last edited:
hello larry and welcome to the forum...thanks for your memories of living in tower road...enjoy the forum there is plenty to read about and if you have any old photos we would love to see them

all the best

lyn

Apologies as the thread i posted this on seems to of not been looked at for a long time, so hope it is ok to post here as it is Aston related
Hello all,
I've been enjoying the threads I have read about Atkinson's Brewery on here and working my way through the various ones throughout the forum.
I'm not from Birmingham myself but have family there past and present, the reason for my post is, I am wondering if anyone has any photos or information on the livery of the Brewery,
I have an interest in steam and vintage vehicles and may have an opportunity to paint and sign write a 6" model steam wagon, it may not be the type of wagon used by Atkinson's, would anyone have record of the vehicles they used? but if i can find the colours and fonts used I would like to consider it as an option.
Many Thanks

hi purpleD22 welcome...glad you are enjoying our forum and finding it of interest...hope someone maybe able to help you with the livery of atkinsons brewery...

lyn

Back