• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Little king st hockley

Below is a close up of the same map, and you can see the numbers of the houses

map c 1950 little king st showing numbers.jpg

hi calveras and welcome to the forum...if you go to the little king street thread i have posted quite a few photos of the street before demolision

lyn

hi calveras glad you found the photos..we are always happy to help enjoy the forum...

lyn

Posts #61 - #70 have been merged with this thread from another thread on the same subject. Viv.

Hi
Does anyone have a photograph of Little King Street, particularly a view of the Lucas factory (Tom Bowling Lamp Works), but a general view would be great to see. The street and much of Great King Street was demolished in the late 1960s. The area seems like another world now!

hi calveras and welcome to the forum...if you go to the little king street thread i have posted quite a few photos of the street before demolision

lyn
Lyn. I am looking for your Little King Street photographs/thread but seem to be going around in circles. Do you have a link that you could send ............. sorry
PETER

Lyn. I am looking for your Little King Street photographs/thread but seem to be going around in circles. Do you have a link that you could send ............. sorry
PETER

hello peter i always advise members to read any thread from post 1 or you may miss photos etc which i think you must have done...this is the little king st thread and the photos i posted in 2014 of the st before demo start on post 22...hope you find them ok and hope this helps

lyn

Lyn
Thank you, I had not gone back far enough. The photographs are a delight. I am writing a book about the Victorian days of the Tom Bowling Lamp Works, as seen in image 010. Harry Lucas's door having been bricked-up one has to assume post WW11, but not at all sure. The cast-iron letter box, just above the 'H' hydrant sign (out of focus) has survived, but not much else I suspect.
Thank you for posting, appreciated.

How much ?wider
Mike
Would it be possible to widen into Great King Street, I just wanted to see the 'shopping' where the Lucas' started their Lamp business at 209 Great King Street, before moving to their Little King Street factory in 1876. THANK YOU, your help is appreciated.

Hope this does the job. Peter. Just realised I've read another book of yours, Early Cycle lighting, which I htought was very good. Hope the new one is as good. Will definitely buy it when it comes out.

MAP C1950 SHOWING AREA AROUND LITTLE KING ST.jpg

Mike
Thank you, these images add a further dimension to an interesting story. Yes, you are right, I am still kicking the old lamp scene around. The new volume will be privately published next year, to be called:
Lucas –
The Company, The People, Their Cycle Lamps 1878 - 1914

Harold Nockold's 1976 book, while very good, did mix up a lot of the early detail, which I hope to correct. What amazes me is the quality of work that came out of the Little King Street factory, there were a great many very capable artisans then, seemingly turning their hands to anything. If you know of anyone with Lucas brochures, particularly of the 1882-1886 period please let me know.
Again thank you.

Attachments

• lucaslamp2 (419x640).jpg
    lucaslamp2 (419x640).jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 9
happy to help peter and good luck with the new book...just as an aside my gt gt grandad lived a few doors away from joseph lucas and his family including a young harry lucas on the 1871 census in carver st so chances are they knew each other..i also believe which you probably already know that 2 local pubs the lamplighter and the king of the road were named as a dedication to joseph lucas

lyn

Lyn
How interesting, Harry would have been 16 and about to join his father in business. They moved to 209 GKS in 1872. Small world. Where the Little King Street photographs taken by your family if they lived in the area?
Best

no peter i got those photos from the libary...bang on with harrys age he was 16 on the census occupation was pupil teacher and his dad joseph down a oilman..i was born a few mins away from lucas gks so have researched the area quite a lot

lyn

Hi Im a avid collector of Victorian brass and bronze metal door hardware ,a letterbox I have just received from a friend , states on the casting is from a company in this street , the company name is worn off but can make out the letters BR ,,,,,,,,,,,,Ltd , looks like a long name . and below that is, Little king st Bham , always interested in where my hardware comes from ,the only Little King Street as I have found is where Joseph Lucas factory was , any ideas please , thankyou Bob

here you are phil..a map showing lit king st...

lyn
Replaced by map showing Little King St c1955. Not same map as originally posted by Lyn.

View attachment 119954
Thankyou for the message , this has been very enjoyable afternoon reading up in Little King Street and found what I was looking for , not the name I wanted but I found out about the pressing and enamelling factory there , at least I found that out , the letter box has enamelled LETTERS on the flap , very interesting site this as now I have a base to work from ,thankyou very much , I will return , all the best Bob

happy to help bob and dont forget to use the search box top right of the page it can be useful

lyn

Great Mike, that has woken dormant memories!

We lived at 79. The Smiths at 81 - we were the last 2 families to leave the street.
All the houses were in one big terraced block.
We were the last house in a 'entry' of 6. Olive Walker (with son david) were at 77, Mr & Mrs Dodds were at 75, than the entry, than Mr & Mrs Jarvis at 73 - An old couple.
71 were the Summlers. they had a garden wall to seperate them from the next 'entry' of 6 house. They were the last houses - it was factories after that, with the Legion almost at the end of the street near to Great King St.

Our side of the Street backed onto Bridge St West. Once that was demolished we had a brilliant view of St saviours as they demolished it, and Farm St School.

The entry ran between 75/73 and ran down top a wall separating us from Bridge ST, than ran along the backs of the yards (NOT Gardens) . Our Yard was a bit bigger than the 2 it passed behind as the right of way ended against our yard. Going the other way past 73, 71 it ended in front of the the block of 3 toilets, so 69 had a slightly shorter yard as well.
We shared a toilet with the Dodd's, each having a key to a padlock fitted on the door. Ours was the middle toilet. Much too far to go to at night - and still a chilly walk in the winter mornings with the Po!
In winter we had to take a bucket of water because it would have frozen up. Once the demolition began, you may well see a rat pop up!
Mr Jarvis had a heart attack on the loo His was the end one nearest Bridge St. As he collapsed, he fell forward, jamming the door. Bit of a problem for the Fire Brigade.

Mrs Cross left, with most of the street in '65.

As was often the case - everyone was scattered to the winds. I know the Summlers went to Kingstanding- we visited once, and the Smiths visited us once in Lea Hall, but I never knew where they had actually moved to.

We always went down th eentry and in the back door. It was only ever locked & bolted at night. The front door was for visitors only - rarely used for ourselves!
My mom was telling me that my dad lived on Little King Street as a child so we decided to look it up. It’s been really interesting reading everything and looking at the photos but had to comment on this. Georgey Jarvis was my dads friend and lived next door to him. It was actually my grandad Harold Salisbury that had a heart attack in the toilet and fell behind the door. My dad, Ken, went down and found him and had to call the fire brigade to get him out. I would be interested to know if you remember any of the Salisbury family.

Back