• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Little king st hockley

must try and find mine bri....its in me files somewhere but could take time to find it lol

lyn

Great pictures, I was born in 101 Little King Street, we left when I was 3 so no real memories of the street but lovely to see pictures. Thanks for the opportunity to see the street I was born in.

hi jackie...i didnt realise there was one in little king st...learn something every day...

hope you are well

lyn

Jackie when I worked at GKS (1964 to 1968) it was the printing works that supplied much of the Lucas literature. It was about a 100 yards or so in on the left hand side opposite Davis the bookmakers.
The frontage was roughly the width of 3 shop fronts.

Can't recall the name of the manager other than I was at his 35th Birthday celebrations at the White House. Drink flowed freely with the Birthday Boy bringing in his own bottles of spirits to keep the cost down. Once the Publican spotted what was happening bottles were also bought from the Pub. I managed to stay sober by keeping a pint glass under the seat into which I poured the measures of various spirits into. Not sure what it had started out as though. I don't know to this day how I not only drove home but checked on a less fortunate colleague who lived by Vale Onslow's place.

Hi Bernard
Little King Street was the first factory that Joseph Lucas had it was called the Tom Bowler works because it made the Tom Bowler Lamp

There is a stone obelisk on the site (approx.) of the factory - now an area of green space - no remnant of Little King St exists. It must have been on the left as you come from Gt King St toward Guest St, near the Gt King St end, if the siting of the obelisk is accurate.

There is a stone obelisk on the site (approx.) of the factory - now an area of green space - no remnant of Little King St exists. It must have been on the left as you come from Gt King St toward Guest St, near the Gt King St end, if the siting of the obelisk is accurate.

hi bri looking at me trusty map the stone is nowhere near to where the little king st factory was...ive passed it many times and always thought it a very poor tribute to such a massive and important part of brum history...if you blink you miss it and have to get up real close to read what is written on it...will take a pic of it next time im down the old end..

lyn

Lin - you have to remember that they obliterated Little King St, and even moved that section of Great King St - all to accommodate the Ring Road.
Imagine from the white House - only a single lane N J St W, the depth of the houses than Little King St - It looked about right to me some years ago when I discovered it. - may be a bit nearer Mew John St than it should - but not much.
Very tricky to tell now it's all altered. Don't know if it shows up on the detailed maps Mike has? possible do a comparison?

Bri

Lin - you have to remember that they obliterated Little King St, and even moved that section of Great King St - all to accommodate the Ring Road.
Imagine from the white House - only a single lane N J St W, the depth of the houses than Little King St - It looked about right to me some years ago when I discovered it. - may be a bit nearer Mew John St than it should - but not much.
Very tricky to tell now it's all altered. Don't know if it shows up on the detailed maps Mike has? possible do a comparison?

Bri

yes bri i took all the changes into consideration...not easy to judge it is it and im not that good lol...if mike sees this post maybe he could do us an overlay map for little king street and the surrounding streets...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Bernard R and Brian
Thank you for your help
Bernard thank you so much for the web address it tells you about Harry Lucas and someone Steelet I think this could be Steeley taking out a pataint residing at Little King Street Brilliant
Brian the plaque was put up for GKS I have a photo I will try to dig it out

Jackie you may know of this on Roots Web but if not it holds some interesting info. I confess to being perplexed that there is so little apparent information and photographic records of the company.

I know there is a plaque thats I think is blue on on of the houses by GKS but there is also a big trade mark the lion, wheel, flambear on the wall of the house
36 Wheeler Street itis on the Lucas Memories Website GKS End of an era Photo 93
I have never posted a photo on the Forum but will have a try

Back