• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill Station

The GWR "B" sets, non corridor cars usually in pairs and two pairs were usually more than enough for most branch lines, were not that rare once you were off the main lines. They were known a "D"sets in the Birmingham District and were often four pairs. You could be in one for well over an hour, sometimes longer in the rural areas. They were favoured by those who "wished to be alone" quite often as they were free from nosy passers by. :D
Most railway and large bus companies chose their own specific designs of moquettes.
During the war myself my mother and my sister went off for a week in Norfolk,late 1944. Dad was in India. We went on the train from New Street straight through to Norwich (I think) and although the train was full each eight seat compartment had two doors but no corridor. It was a long journey. It was before I became interested in trains, but boy do I remember that journey and how at two stations the train emptied as everyone rushed to find a toilet or a hedge and desperate women kept the carriage doors open until everyone was back .

Bob

Originally the name was carried by a London to Penzance train from 1890 until 1904 it was replaced by the Cornish Riviera Express. The Cornishman, as many will remember it, started in 1951 until 1975 starting from Wolverhampton and had some carriages which went to Kingswear, They were detached at Newton Abbot.
The other well known train, which came to South Devon was the Bradford to Paignton "Devonian" which was a New Street train.
Hi Radiorails,
I have a photo somewhere of myself when I was second man on D3 pulling the "Devonian". We took over at Tamworth HL and changed crew at Bristol. I think it was 1965.

Last edited:
Hello Vinny. That was ten years after my trips. In 1955, when in the RAF, I was at RAF Locking. I was just ony just old enough to drive so did not yet have the finances for a car. I caught the Devonian most Friday afternoons from Weston- Super-Mare and always took afternoon tea on the train. Memorable was both the tea and the slow crawl up Wellington Bank to the Whiteball tunnel which straddled the Devon and Somerset border and the race down to Tiverton.
You would have missed those thrills ;) having took to the seats at Bristol - or maybe a return trip north on the footplate.

In this slide, the train is obviously the main focus. But in the background is a stairway with a sign for the Great Western Hotel. Would this date to the 1940s/50s or earlier? Viv.

image.jpeg

In this slide, the train is obviously the main focus. But in the background is a stairway with a sign for the Great Western Hotel. Would this date to the 1940s/50s or earlier? Viv.

View attachment 116170
Viv
Like the photo, it is a 2-2-2 was built mid 1800s and converted to 4-2-2 before 1900. If you put class 69 Great Western Engines in Google and look under Sir Daniel Gooch, there are full details and a good picture. This was apparently built by Beyer Peacock.

Bob

Centenary celebrations at Snow Hill ? Viv.

View attachment 114698

Most certainly is Snow Hill Station. (See my photograph 3), and the same platform.
It does appear to be a celebration of some kind, as the ribbons around the columns indicate that.

In 1910, work was commenced in re-building Snow Hill Station. This included the new concourse, bridges, and the station roofing. Work was completed in 1912.

Could it be part of that celebration?

Photographs 1 & 2 show work in progress.

Eddie

(Photographs courtesy of Snow Hill Station, 'A First Clss Return' by Derek Harrision)

Attachments

• Snow Hill Rebuilding 1 001.jpg
    Snow Hill Rebuilding 1 001.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Snow Hill 2 001.jpg
    Snow Hill 2 001.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Snow Hill. 3 001.jpg
    Snow Hill. 3 001.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 43
Viv
Like the photo, it is a 2-2-2 was built mid 1800s and converted to 4-2-2 before 1900. If you put class 69 Great Western Engines in Google and look under Sir Daniel Gooch, there are full details and a good picture. This was apparently built by Beyer Peacock.

Bob

I agree with the comments posted by Bob, but the photograph is a little intriguing.
I would suggest that the photograph is pre 1910, because the July 1910 records show that the G.W.R. built a 0-6-0 engine which was also numbered 74, this engine being withdrawn in January 1951. Its shed location was Cardiff (Eastern) Dock (CED).

There is no way that the G.W.R would have had two locomotives numbered 74.

Many of the lower numbered G.W.R. locomotives worked the South Wales area, but not all.

Interestingly, the Great Western Railway had hotels in Cardiff and Newport.

Eddie

Hello Vinny. That was ten years after my trips. In 1955, when in the RAF, I was at RAF Locking. I was just ony just old enough to drive so did not yet have the finances for a car. I caught the Devonian most Friday afternoons from Weston- Super-Mare and always took afternoon tea on the train. Memorable was both the tea and the slow crawl up Wellington Bank to the Whiteball tunnel which straddled the Devon and Somerset border and the race down to Tiverton.
You would have missed those thrills ;) having took to the seats at Bristol - or maybe a return trip north on the footplate.
I would have loved to go all the way, but Bristol was as far south we went most of my footplate journeys where to Gloster, Rotherham and local goods trains.
I did go to Devon and Cornwall quite a few times but as a passenger. Great journey loved it.
Vinny

I agree with the comments posted by Bob, but the photograph is a little intriguing.
I would suggest that the photograph is pre 1910, because the July 1910 records show that the G.W.R. built a 0-6-0 engine which was also numbered 74, this engine being withdrawn in January 1951. Its shed location was Cardiff (Eastern) Dock (CED).

There is no way that the G.W.R would have had two locomotives numbered 74.

Many of the lower numbered G.W.R. locomotives worked the South Wales area, but not all.

Interestingly, the Great Western Railway had hotels in Cardiff and Newport.

Eddie
Eddie
This was one of the 69 class ordered by Daniel Gooch from Beyer Peacock, eight engines built specially for the Wolverhampton Shrewsbury route. They were built in 1856/7, and in the 1870s they were renewed by George Armstrong with new boilers and cabs fitted and finally in 1896/7 under William Dean they were rebuilt as 2-4-0 'River' Class. I got all this from Wikipedia where there is also a picture of 72. Also on Google in GWR engine images is a picture of another of the class. This slide dates somewhere between 1872 and 1896. The location I cannot help with. Was there a Great Western Hotel at Wolverhampton or Shrewsbury, I will look in my Snow Hill book tonight to see what it says about the hotel and if there are any pictures that might give a clue

Bob

This was reported last year, but did it go ahead ? Be nice to think any remaining parts are being preserved, albeit underground. (That's in addition to the gateway/walls on Livery Street). Viv.

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/commercial-property/old-parts-snow-hill-station-11854793

It hasn't started yet Viv. At the moment you can still go into Little Waitrose on the right, and they have seating outside (only for food bought at Little Waitrose).

Also while The Big Sleuth is on, Honey Bear Honey Bottle is in the square outside of the station.

Platform 1 Snow Hill station in 1912. The sign in the background looks as if the station staff have made it, and that lady's skirt is just short enough to not drag on the platform surface !
View attachment 116109
In the book Birmingham Snow Hill A First Class Return by Derek Harrison, this picture appears with the entry 'Snow Hill station boasted three booking offices. Besides those in the main concourse and Great Charles Street there was this smaller version on platform number one which served passengers ticket requirements to stations on the Severn Valley Line, Worcester and South Wales via Hereford plus stations to Birkenhead.....' After remarking on the attire of the foreman he writes 'The notice above each hatch reads "Great Western Railway The issue of tickets at this station will commence 20 minutes before the departure of each train"

Bob

View attachment 116170
Having commented on one picture with reference to a book about Snow Hill, there is another fine book 'Birmingham Snow Hill A Great Station by Ian Baxter and Richard Harper and your slide appears as a complete picture with copyright accredited to V R Webster Collection/Kidderminster Railway Museum. The caption underneath reads 'The Southern end of Snow Hill Station is seen on 5th May 1894 GW 2-2-2 locomotive 74 was built by Beyer Peacock in 1856 Three years after this photograph was taken, it was re_constructed into a member of the River class.' Both the books I have mentioned contain superb pictures and narrative of Snow Hill.

Bob

Thanks Bob. The slide is for sale on eBay. Can't be certain if it's an original slide, but unlikely if it was originally part of a larger image. Viv.

Shakespeare Express was at Snow Hill this afternoon. Some photos of the Pullman coaches before it departed at around 14:01

Timetable boards were showing this as a Charter Train (I had a feeling that the Shakespeare Express would be at Snow Hill today).

Ell, the Shakespeare Express is shown in the Timetable as an "Unadvertised Express" operated by West Coast Railway Co. Yesterday it was recorded as leaving Snow Hill at 1404, 3 minutes late. However it arrived at Stratford at 1459¾, 4 minutes early. Who knew that trains were timed to the ¼ minute! Time table information from realtimetrains.co.uk

Snow Hill.jpg
I have no information with this picture, I posted a couple of years ago that I purchased a box of Birmingham memorabilia from a book shop in Hay On Wye and almost all the images are good but some are bereft of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ell, the Shakespeare Express is shown in the Timetable as an "Unadvertised Express" operated by West Coast Railway Co. Yesterday it was recorded as leaving Snow Hill at 1404, 3 minutes late. However it arrived at Stratford at 1459¾, 4 minutes early. Who knew that trains were timed to the ¼ minute! Time table information from realtimetrains.co.uk

Before I headed down to platform 3, saw the timetable screen saying for platform 1 a Charter service for 14:01. A Chiltern Railways service was in the way on platform 2 (that didn't depart until after the Shakespeare Express).

Going back to 1912, here's a view of an entrance to Snow Hill station closed because of the coal strike opposing the introduction of the minimum wage for pit workers.The strike lasted quite some time through the winter months, from 26 February to 11 April 1912. Poor man with the portmanteau, wonder what he was thinking! Viv.

View attachment 86286

The Station was shut due the Coal Strike but I think it was the Coal Owners who were opposed. For some years the miners had sought the introduction of a minimum wage, from at least from 1893. This strike was mainly for an introduction of a minimum wage, government intervention led to the Coal Mines Act an its introduction for the first time.

Two locos at Snow Hill facing each other as the signal man watches. I presume the one enveloped in steam is giving the other one a push.
Snow-Hill-Station-9.jpg

Dismantling the station in the 1960s. The balcony in which the wood is being removed must be the one above the Empire stall in the second attached photo. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 20
Two locos at Snow Hill facing each other as the signal man watches. I presume the one enveloped in steam is giving the other one a push.
View attachment 117430
It could be that the loco which appears to be a freight 2-6-0 tender type, almost shrouded in steam, has a problem - a leakage of steam and the 2-6-2Tank is hauling it to Tyseley. Another possibility is that they are both in good running order and have just come off the trains that they have brought into Snow Hill and will go, coupled together to save an extra rail movement at a busy place, for servicing; that is change of crews, take on coal and water. On the other hand it might be the reverse, although the bunker of the tank loco does not seem well filled, in that they have arrived, coupled together for the same reason as given above, to become the train engine of a freight and passenger departure.
The 2-6-2T could well have been one of the Station Pilots; they moved rolling stock from arriving terminating express trains for servicing and brought stock back for departing express trains. They also moved, after detaching or adding to, some special freight wagons that conveyed milk, horses. hay and one or two other special vehicles that were attached to passenger trains.

Snow Hill

Hi

Not sure wether I have sent this before.
One thing about Snow Hill was once you had bought
your platform Ticket 1d you were safe for the day.
Wander all over the place.
New Street generally wasnt too bad but often on a Saturday
if too many of us were there you could be moved.
I remember those day's.

Mike Jenks

Not strictly true because the wording on the platform ticket stated that it was valid for one hour, though I must admit never being challenged when leaving the station after a stay well in excess of one hour!
Once I left school and became a 'booking lad' in the old Snow Hill North Signal Box any problems there might have been simply vanished anyway.

Actually I was honest and never stayed more than one hour on my platform ticket. I would then buy another penny ticket and go down the steps to the other platform rather than going past the same ticket collector. I was actually embarrassed about being honest! When they doubled the price of platform tickets I started buying a child's ticket to WesT Smethwick because I could get a bus home from Smethwick so making a circular trip.

Although I've occasionally stumbled on this thread in the past, I've never read it thoroughly. Having done so for forty minutes, I'm left perplexed. Several members have written about their train-spotting past, and mention the Kings, Castles, Halls ..... and Manors?? which frequented Snow Hill. I went to Snow Hill almost every Saturday between about 1958 and 1961 ...... and can remember NEVER having seen a Manor. Surely the mini-Collett was inappropriately small, light and "weak" to work trains through one of the most important stations in the country? They were designed and built to work the lightweight lines of mid-Wales, Devon and Cornwall, weren't they? I know they operated between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth because my grandfather "drove" one at the head of the "Cambrian Coast Express" for many years. db84124
My records show that in the mid/late 1950s No.7821'Ditcheat Manor' was sheded at nearby Tyseley (84E) together with three of the other 'lightweight' Grange class locomotives (6853 Morehampton Grange, 6861 Crynant Grange and 6866 Morfa Grange), so it is extremely likely that it/they would have appeared at Snow Hill at some time in their operational lives. I guess you just didn't happen to be there at the time!

zzz~0.jpeg

Another one with no information, but it says Snow Hill on the wall.

Taken prior to spring 1939. The clue is the sign above the shelter which states 'CARS load here for ....' .
Birmingham City Transport (who were rather particular about that sort of thing) would have changed the signage to read 'Buses load here for ....' within minutes of the last tram commencing its final sad journey.

Back