• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St. Silas School

Jules65

master brummie
Hi all. Looking for information on St. Silas School. I have just found out that my brothers attended there. I believe it was a J&I School. From there they went to Harry Lucas.

I attended Brownies as a child in some buildings opposite the church in St. Silas grounds. Was this the school?

Would love to know if anyone has any memories of it, photos etc.

Jules, I think the building is still there. When I went to take some pictures of the church IN 2004 there was a building at the back which looks like it could have been a school. Perhaps someone with a map might be able to take a look. I think this may have been the school my grandfather went to.

wendy and jules i have this map of 1940. think i can see st silas square at the top of church it indicates a church. is this st silas and would the school be behind this. going that way next week so if this is the right place will take some pics. wales.

Thanks you all, especially for the lovely pictures. Brought back some happy memories. I used to attend St. Silas church as a youngster and was even in the choir for a short time. Before that I used to go with my sister and two brothers to Lozells Methodist Church on the corner of Lozells Street and Gerard Street.

In fact my sister was married at St. Silas's in about 1971/72. I have some pictures somewhere - I'll dig them out.

Wales - it would be great to know if the church is still there and if the buildings behind it were in fact a school. I imagine it would have been a small school but memories can play tricks. As I mentioned I attended Brownies there but cannot remember too much about the building.

From the photos already posted it was a lovely building and such a shame that it is no longer in use.

Jules

hi jules. me and keith will be there on tues. will see what we can find out for you. lyn

Thanks Lyn - look forward to reading your posts. Especially as I think there will be lots of places of interest to me that you and Keith will be visiting. Take care whilst you're there - its not like it used to be!

ok jules. nothings like it used to be. we just have to get on with it. hope to get you some good pics. lyn

Thanks Lyn - look forward to reading your posts. Especially as I think there will be lots of places of interest to me that you and Keith will be visiting. Take care whilst you're there - its not like it used to be!

She has her Phil Mitchell minder with her Jules....

hi. all here are some pics of st. silas school that myself and keith acton took today. it is still in use although we think not as a school. hope you like them. wales.

pics 5 and 6. as some of you will know the school is at the back of st silas church. this looks like it was one of the entrances now bricked up. i will be posting a couple of pics of the church under the churches thread. wales.

What great photos Lyn. Thank you so much for posting them. It has certainly brought back lots of memories.

It made me smile when you said you never really knew that the church and school were there, yet lived close by. I never ventured into Villa Street and certainly didn't know the Vine pub was there.

I have found a couple of photos of st. Silas when my sister got married there. You cannot really see the church, just the church doors. I will try and post them tomorrow. Inside the church was really quite beautiful, such a shame that they seem to have been forgotten about. Ought to be preserved really.

I hope you had a good day today visiting all your old haunts.

Jules

I am so pleased you took these pictures and my memory was right about the school. I wonder if any records survive?

hi jules and wendy. so glad you liked our pics. both the church and school are still in use. but like i said we dont think the school is still used as such. i bet there are still records available somewhere. wendy over to you. you are good at sorting out that sort of thing.

View attachment 75471
St. Silas Church of England Primary School in Church Street Lozells in 1973 the year it was (closed not) demolished.

Attachments

• cdwq.jpeg
    cdwq.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 20
I hate to disagree with you Sticher but St Silas ( my old school ) is still very much standing. Attached are photos i took 2 months back.

Attachments

• St Silas School.jpg
    St Silas School.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • School 2.JPG
    School 2.JPG
    961.4 KB · Views: 47
Sorry about that, it says the school was closed on that date.

Sorry about that, it says the school was closed on that date.
I guess its possible that it ceased being a school then, i have attached a pic of the school railings ( that i took last summer ) it shows the welded joint after one of the kids got his head stuck in them and had to be cut out LOL, circa 1956/7

Attachments

• school railing.jpg
    school railing.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 39
Hello Big Fella, the caption with this picture says the picture was taken on 10th July 1973 and the school closed in that year and a school was first established on this site in 1852.

I am always trying to do too many things at the same time.

1948 ish
Image498.jpg

well its great topsy...be even better if someone recognised one of the children in the pic or the teacher come to that..i was given a few brum mags last week so i will have a look through them soon and see if there are any good pics in to post..

lyn

I attended St Silas school till 1960 and then moved on to Handsworth Tech.
Classes 1 to 6 were in the school inside the church grounds 7 & 8 were in Little Hunters Road (as we called it) at the Bonner memorial hall.
Head Master was Mr Eagles,can remember a Miss or Mrs Jones also Phillips and Mr Handley took class 8.

hello this is Carol Biddle, nee Blunt. My husband Colin has just joined this site. I attended St Silas J and I School from Autumn 1950 to 1955. I have a photo of the school play in about 1952 which I am hoping to put on this website. Some of the children in the play (Cinderella) were Carole Pemberton, Rita Price, Ian Bathie, Nigel Hulse, David Carr, Madeline Chambers, Geraldine Pearson. I can almost remember all the names.! Sadly, I do not have any photos of the building. There was an annexe in Hunters Rd, off Villa Rd, Handsworth. Hope this is of interest to you. Carol.

Back