• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St. Silas School

Hi Lyn

We found the shop on the other side didn't cater for kids pocket money as readily, All I remember from that was the window had a big Blue Bird toffee advert in the window. I wonder if you knew the Addleton twins their father had a workshop at the top of the yard with several lathes turning small parts out, there were a number of men working there.

I had a drive down Brougham St. some years later and the houses had gone but there was a hawthorn tree, which was in the next door neighbours front garden, which was still standing. The last time I wend down Wills St was like a slalem run Brougham St. did not exist and Villa St. only went half way. I moved out of Birmingham over 30 years ago, first to a cottage in St. Georges Telford then to the Lleyn peninsular in North Wales, that house went in the divorce. 10 years later I re married and now live in Denbigh. Apart from visits to my daughter who lives in Great Barr I only visit Birmingham on Google Earth.

My mother taught in Cantebury Cross for a while, then in Kingstanding and finally as head of commerce and English at Joseph Leckie Grammar School in Walsall. I found out where some of my friends moved moved to but I am curious to know how far we all scattered.

In reply to the person who was Lawson Bulevants brother, I remember he had a brother but the thing that is highest in my memory is the big black dog they had, and the little shop next door.

Brian

hello brian...did you say you moved from brougham st in 1951?? sorry i do not recall the addleton twins...i moved into villa st in 1958 aged 5 and moved out in 1972..

lyn

Hi Brian, It's Glenda Lowe nee Butler here, Irene's sister. Maxwell (Lawson's brother) sent me an email telling me about your post on here but it's taken me ages to get onto the site and find it. You and I did email each other some years back and I promised you a photo of Irene, who sadly passed away in 1988, but can't remember if I actually sent it to you.

We lived in Brougham Street and I attended St. Silas from 1953 to 1960, Irene was five years older than me so would have attended 1948 to 1955.

If I didn't send you the photo I'd be pleased to hear from you and send it to you.

Would also love to hear from anyone who remembers myself and/or Irene.

Hi Lyn

The Addleton's lived half way up Villa Street on the right, going from Nursery Road. They were my sister Irene's best friends and I think they were still there in 1958. They also had a brother who was my brother Tony's best friend and the family owned the business next to the WeeWays (sp) in Nursery Road.

My other sister, Anita had a friend that lived towards the bottom of Villa Street on the right and her name was Joan Doughty...they are still good friends now!

Glenda

Last edited:
hello glenda and a warm welcome to the forum...good to see another member from my neck o the woods...well the addletons lived on the same side as i did then...i must ask my brother mark if he remembers them..if i am right weeways was round the corner from the cafe on the corner of villa st and nursery road...if you click on the link below stars has very kindly reposted some of my nursery road photos that we lost when the forum was hacked some time ago...start at post 60 there should be a couple of shots showing weeways...enjoy

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...5539&page=4&highlight=nursery+road+newsagents
lyn

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the link Lyn, just had a trip down memory Lane looking at the photos! The old mission hall is where we used to go to a youth club. We spent many a happy hour outside the Crown pub on the corner of Villa street with our Guy Fawkes.

Just remembered the family Brian was talking about were the Haddletons not Addletons. The twins were Ann & Kay and the building that lies back next to Weeways is where the brother David Haddleton had the business.

Thanks again, I must come on here more regular.

Hi Glenda

I did reply earlier but it doesn't seem to be here so I will try again. I would love any photos you have you can email me direct on , I renewed my amateur radio licence and this is the email I use on the air. I am going through a load of photos from my mother's collection, she died last year and I have boxes of papers and photo's to sort through.

Brian5

Last edited by a moderator:
hi glenda you are most welcome...if you use the search box at the top of the page to find different streets etc there are loads of old photos on here of the old end...its strange you should mention standing outside the crown with our guys i used to do that..i never went to the mission hall but used to go to the sally army every sunday afternoon..what years were you living in brougham street ??

hi brian..sorry to hear about the loss of your mom...if you have any old photos of the area i would love to see them if you could post them on the forum...to contact glenda you maybe better sending her a private message its far safer than posting your personal contact details on open forum for all to see...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Glenda,your maiden name rings a bell in my memory.I think we were most likely in the same year at St Silas.
My name on here APS stands for Anthony P Sartin.Other names I remember are Lyn Wright,Diane Bennett,Sheila Jones,Linda Buxton,Linda Danby.
Perhaps some ring a bell for you.

Hi Brian, sorry about the loss of your mom...hope her photo collection bring back a lot of happy memories for you.

I will sort out any photos of Irene & if you PM me your email address I'll send them to you.

Glenda

Hi lyn, thanks I'll try the search, although did try that to find Brian's post without much luck! I lived in a Brougham Street from 1948 until 1967. I went to Harry Lucas in Farm Street from '59 to '64 & my best friend Georgina Buckley lived in Villa Street in the maisonettes near to Farm Street. Yes we used to do very well outside the crown with our guy, the customers were very generous after they'd had a couple of drinks! Lol

glenda

Hi Anthony, yes we must have been in the same year at St Silas as I remember all those names and Linda Buxton & Diane Bennett were in the same stream as me & we were friends in all our years at Harry Lucas. I think Linda Danby lived in St Silas Square & went on to Grammar school. For some strange reason I can't remember any of the boys in my year!

Glenda

Hi lyn, thanks I'll try the search, although did try that to find Brian's post without much luck! I lived in a Brougham Street from 1948 until 1967. I went to Harry Lucas in Farm Street from '59 to '64 & my best friend Georgina Buckley lived in Villa Street in the maisonettes near to Farm Street. Yes we used to do very well outside the crown with our guy, the customers were very generous after they'd had a couple of drinks! Lol

glenda

well in that case glenda you and i were at farm st at the same time...i left in 64 to go to lozells girls school..just sorry that i cant remember you but i do have a photographic memory of farm st school and everytime i passed the big red door next to the maisonettes i had to have look through the crack down at hockley brook below lol..oh our dad and his family were the first ones to move into the maisonettes when they were built..round about 1938 they lived in the one right next to the brook..no 51...

lyn

well in that case glenda you and i were at farm st at the same time...i left in 64 to go to lozells girls school..just sorry that i cant remember you but i do have a photographic memory of farm st school and everytime i passed the big red door next to the maisonettes i had to have look through the crack down at hockley brook below lol..oh our dad and his family were the first ones to move into the maisonettes when they were built..round about 1938 they lived in the one right next to the brook..no 51...

lyn

I think we're talking about different schools Lyn as Harry Lucas was a senior school down Farm Street towards Joseph Lucas and I must be older than you as I left school in 1964 to go to work at George Lowes in Hospital Street. My friend lived in the maisonettes that were opposite a pub. I used to go to the dentist who was on the corner of villa st and farm st.

Glenda

oops sorry glenda i misread you message..but we do have one thing in common...the dentist on the corner lol.. think his name was mr mahmood when i used to go there...

lyn

Hi

I remember looking down into the brook. We used to climb onto the garden wall of the maisonettes and look through the wire on the top of the wall down the side of the brook, it always had a funny smell to it. We also used to go round the back of the maisonettes and watch the men working in the factory, I think it was a plating shop, there was another plating shop on Nursery Road next to the paper shop, we used to get cigarette cases out of the scrap bins. Then on to Lucas's factory for bobbins of thin copper wire, tie one end to a door knocker and loop the rest though knockers up and down the road, give the end a big jerk and see how many people you could get to open their doors.... Simple innocent fun, unless you got caught normally after a car comes up the road and sets it off too early.

Brian

Hi Lyn

Is it still as green as it was with all the chemical run off from the plating shops? It was normally only a few inches deep in a curved culvert, but I can remember it being very noisy on several occasions and being over half way up the wall, I don't remember it flooding though. Were you there when the 2ft gas main broke under the road junction known as Hockley Brook and they wouldn't let the buses or cars anywhere near in case it blew up we could smell gas in Brougham St. My grand father rode a bike and he was allowed to walk past so he still managed to get home for his dinner, he worked in Pope St. up by the Swan factory. We used to walk up that way to watch the trains in Hockley sidings, and if it was raining we would go all the way round the Inner Circle on the No. 8 it cost 4d we would go and find a load of pop bottles and take them back, the one day I found a soda siphon and had 5s of that we were rich that day.

Brian.

hi brian i think the brook is a bit cleaner nowadays..i was born in 1953 and moved to villa st when i was 5 and left in 1972..actually the brook did flood in about 1920 i think...ive got a pic of the pub in hunters vale when they were pumping out the cellars of the pub...all the old houses in the vale were flood damaged and had to be demolished hence the new maisonettes were built..dad first lived in the old houses in the vale and then as i said in a previous post the family moved to the new ones...i do go down the old end when i can and i have a few photos that i took of the brook..had to get me hand and camera throught the small gap to take them..if you can bare with me i will try and find them and post them for you..may bring back memories for you

lyn

oops sorry glenda i misread you message..but we do have one thing in common...the dentist on the corner lol.. think his name was mr mahmood when i used to go there...

lyn

Ha ha yes Mr Mahmood was my dentist too, has many a visit there....

glenda

Back