• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Stitcher,

Post #1642 - the Trade Directory - what year was that? I knew that Cornish was publishing music for Fred Humphreys, the Musical Director of the Theatre Royal in the second half of the 19th Century, but the name of Munden & Cameron at No. 70 is unknown to me.

Maurice

I am afraid I can't help you Maurice, I have loads of pieces of paper with pics or script on them but I really don't know anymore than what is on the paper.

Stitcher,

Post #1642 - the Trade Directory - what year was that? I knew that Cornish was publishing music for Fred Humphreys, the Musical Director of the Theatre Royal in the second half of the 19th Century, but the name of Munden & Cameron at No. 70 is unknown to me.

Maurice
Both are listed in the Trade Directory of 1835. Not sure if they are earlier or not.

Hello Janice, I am afraid I don't know any more than what it printed with the picture because I just saved things over the years that had the possibility of being interesting later in life. The problem is I saved so many artcles or items that I have forgotten the details.

Pedro,

Only just spotted your reply #1653 - thank you. From the following London Gazette entry in 1839, it appears that Thomas Munden & his partner parted company and Munden carried on alone. I'll have a further dig this evening! Thanks also to Janice.

Maurice

Attachments

• LG_ThosMunden_1839.jpg
    LG_ThosMunden_1839.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2
Munden is also listed as being a professor of music at 7, Crescent - same directory of 1835. He is on the 1841 census in New Street as a professor.

Janice,

I fear this is wandering way off topic and I may have to start a new thread. Thomas Munden and his wife Lucy were living at number 3 Crescent (Ecc. Dist of Christ Church) by 1851, he being a Londoner, & she from Tiverton in Devon. Professor of Music in those days meant very little as it was not a recognised degree subject at university, but thanks for the info.

Maurice

Yes Janice, "Professor" was used by all sorts, some expert, some charlatans. .It had as much the same significance as "Company Director" does today when some chap in court gets asked his profession

Yes Janice, "Professor" was used by all sorts, some expert, some charlatans. .It had as much the same significance as "Company Director" does today when some chap in court gets asked his profession
Mike
The problems today are semantics get in the way of truth when I started as a Rep for Forward Trust, I was just that a Rep, those who followed became Sales Executives, same job same pay and same Morris Marinas and then later, Sales Executive became Sales Director, Area Manager became Area Director and Regional Manager became Regional Director, but recent changes in Company law and Health and Safety rules and Regulations have made the wiser person ensure that unless he has real power and gets the dividend, he takes the title non executive director, the title has kudos but is without the risks unless the title holder is responsible for a decision which has had serious consequences. One of the most common problems is that the 'director' is only a sole trader or partner because his company is not a limited liability company, but he thinks director is more impressive at the Golf club. Sufficient for the day the forum does not need anymore guidance on company law, however you are very right the title director is meant to and does impress.
Bob ( consultant not director)

Back