• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bingley Hall

Hello Morturn, I can remember my dad took me to Bingley Hall whenever there was a circus or boxing on.

Yes, I remember the boys and girl’s exhibition and the ideal homes too. I recall there was a model railway exhibition too once.

There used to be a guy who had built a model of an airport with all the lights etc.

It's a coincidence Bingley Hall has re-emerged. Just last week I was actually googling "Dr Crock & His Crackpots". I only ever saw them once and it was at Bingley Hall.
Still on Bingley Hall, I used to live next door to a fellow named Brown who was an electrician. His main office was located within Bingley Hall and I believe he held the contract to service Bingley Hall.

OldBrummie.

An exhibition at Bingley Hall but it's difficult to work out exactly what the exhibition was for. Think it would date at about latter end of the 1800s. Viv.

image.jpeg

That's true Mike. Can't work out what that brick structure us in the middle with what seems to be a door into it and a castellated roof. Weird. Viv.

The pavilion in the centre has a sign cocoa, given the small space above it could be Frys. Not sure who H.A. Sarsons were, it was not the vinegar folk. Who were the makers/sellers of Faultless?

There is hand-written text at the top of the photo - 'Scott something No 980' which possibly refers to a collection.
If the collection was identified it would date the exhibition. The crowd are not looking up towards the photographer
but somewhere beneath him (or her) so something is going on.

OldBrummie

There's always something going on Old Brummie! But the least said about some things the better. ;)
Another thought is maybe a demonstration of some 'new fangled' item is being done. Whatever it is is seems to be of more interest than the sideshow booths.

Good point Alan, very probable. The Hall certainly had exhibitions about the home (forerunners of the Ideal Home-type exhibition). Viv.

Walter Scott was a postcard photographer of the time, perhaps someone may have come across him? (From Bradford)

I remember attending the Ideal home exhibition in Bingley Hall in the very early 60s. I was a junior member of the St John's ambulance brigade and we were on duty there when Freddie and the Dreamers performed in case any fans fainted!

Can't prove this with documentation but I read some while back that an exhibition at Bingley House inspired Prince Albert to pursue the idea of a Great Exhibition, which we all know came succesfully to fruition. Bet it won't get a mention in the current 'Victoria' TV series ! Viv.

Thanks Mike. Was wishful thinking on my part then that Prince Albert might have been influenced by the Brummie exposition. But it most probably did have some influence as the visit to Bingley took place only 3 years before. I know from reading about the Great Exhibition that it required a massive amount of ideas, planning effort, including putting ideas through committee. So they most probably would have drawn on the experience of others.

Re the drawing. The exposition building is nothing like I expected. Viv.

I wish we still had our Bingley Hall, the NEC is too far away.
I have a distant memory of seeing some spacesuits there, maybe from a moon-landing?
I loved the the exhibitions for children during the school holidays.
rosie.

Rosie, there was an exhibition that celebrated the space race with an Apollo space capsule etc

Lowering the tone a little, went to a couple of CAMRA beer festivals there in the 1970s. Viv.

The Hall seems to have offered a good range of exhibitions from farm shows (1850). ......

image.jpeg

....... to home exhibitions (1889). The lady at the piano is sitting next to a fireplace, maybe adding to the general ambience or perhaps demonstrating how wonderful the piano or fireplace would fit into any drawing room. Viv.

image.jpeg

I can remember being taken as a child to Bingley Hall for various shows/ ideal home exhibitions etc, but got married in 1959 and my wife and I went to the Ideal Home exhibition and bought a Creda which had solid heater pads as opposed to rings which were common at that time. We bought the stove from the Midland Electricity Board stand which was manned by a guy called Arthur (and I feel his last name was something like Morrell and I believe he had had something to do with Aston Villa and later Boldmere St Michael's football club). We dealt with him because I had met him with my Dad at some football event and it was suggested we go to the show at Bingley Hall to see the new stoves on display.

Bob

Back