• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Photos of Birmingham 2017- 2018

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are starting this new thread for new or very recent photographs which members may have taken of the city, thus separating them from the threads with an historical content. Obviously "today" is not to be taken literally, but should be the last couple of years.
Staring it off is a scene we soon will no longer see from the train, at least not in this form, the old Curzon St entrance , soon to be merged into the new station. Taken on 7.11.2016.
DSCN0648a.jpg

Not really sure what you want me to post here, but here goes.

Birmingham Town Hall in Victoria Square, seen in 2011. In the next few years, the Midland Metro extension to Centenary Square will be built outside of it. So the bollards at the top of Pinfold Street will be removed, and the road levels altered to allow the tracks to be eventually laid. The Iron: Man statue of the 1990s will be going into storage.

What with the 1st Test at Edgbaston between England and West Indies this is what Edgbaston Cricket Ground used to look like.

In 2009 from Edgbaston Road.

The stadium once the new stand was completed in 2011.

Can I just check something out here. If we post any photographs of "Birmingham as it is today" is it OK if they contain images of people that could be identified? Many of the posts of Birmingham in the past, e.g. pre-war or early post-war show people going to and fro with some of their faces clearly shown. They are all the more interesting for that. This came to mind when looking at posts 1 to 3 of this new thread that the city seems to be de-populated. In the present climate of identify fraud etc perhaps we are not able to show identifiable images without the persons permission? Dave.

Seeing this thread reminded me of the thread below which a click on the John Lewis link leads to remarkable views of Brum in 2015.
Worth a look on tablets or laptops if you have never seen it before ... zoom and pan to see close-ups ...
This is a great high res panoramic of the Birmingham skyline. Spend some time zooming in, it's amazing what you can see in the distance. Viv.

https://johnlewislabs.com/
click or touch the quote's 'up arrow' if you want to see the thread

Last edited:
Can I just check something out here. If we post any photographs of "Birmingham as it is today" is it OK if they contain images of people that could be identified? Many of the posts of Birmingham in the past, e.g. pre-war or early post-war show people going to and fro with some of their faces clearly shown. They are all the more interesting for that. This came to mind when looking at posts 1 to 3 of this new thread that the city seems to be de-populated. In the present climate of identify fraud etc perhaps we are not able to show identifiable images without the persons permission? Dave.

Most of the people in some of my photos wouldn't be looking at my camera. Unless you plan on zooming in on the photo?

Rotunda Square at the Bullring a couple of years ago.

I usually prefer not to have loads of people in my photos. If people get in a way of a shot I don't want them in, makes Photoshopping them out harder.

I certainly would not think it wrong to include people. Consider it ridiculous that anyone would even think to complain

Not really now, not sure if things have changed around the Bull Ring

Dave A

Attachments

• P9250105.JPG
    P9250105.JPG
    601.6 KB · Views: 37
  • P9250106.JPG
    P9250106.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 37
  • P9250107.JPG
    P9250107.JPG
    460.5 KB · Views: 38
Bingo! This was taken in 2003, I had no idea what it was called, but it is around Kings Norton Green.
Is this the same place?
P9270150.JPG

That's The Old Grammar School. It was also restored at the same time as The Saracen's Head. In the churchyard of The Church of St Nicholas.

That's The Old Grammar School. It was also restored at the same time as The Saracen's Head. In the churchyard of The Church of St Nicholas.
You are a wealth of information Mr Brown on Flickr. I'll see if I can dig up some more fodder...
Dave A

This thread is meant as somewhere thta members may post recent of their own photos which might be of interest. If you have queries about photos from elsewhere, then please start a separate thread, or put on an appropriate thread.

The Five Ways skyline seen from Hay Mills near Small Heath in January 2017.

Including the Park Regis Hotel Birmingham which opened last year (was Auchinleck House)

Views from the Secret Garden at the Library of Birmingham.

Symphony Hall / The ICC / The REP

Brindleyplace

Tower blocks on Broad Street. They are mostly hotels now.

A couple of views across the rooftops, J.

Attachments

• Markets Area 2007.jpg
    Markets Area 2007.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Digbeth Police Stn Clock Tower 2007.jpg
    Digbeth Police Stn Clock Tower 2007.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Curzon St Railway Station.jpg
    Curzon St Railway Station.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 26
I got dragged around town after the meet.
portrait of Hilda Burkitt was painstakingly put together using 3,724 photos from members of the public.
DSC_0107.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0094.jpg
    DSC_0094.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0111.jpg
    DSC_0111.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 55
Get the no 45 or 49 buses to Kings Norton.

Map attached below. I have highlighted on the map where the Old Grammar School is. Just walk past St Nicholas Church in the churchyard to reach it. Bus stop near the memorial stone place.

Saint Nicholas Place Kings Norton Google Maps 1.jpg

Back