• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill (the Road)

I was amazed when we went to LONDON, talk about Brum but then that's progress? BUT at least the old English villages are still a joy. The Cotswolds in the off tourist season a joy to behold. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA

Yeah that's by Mark aka Major Clanger aka Clangers England (he's the creator of the (Officially) England's Best Buildings and some other groups on Flickr).

Indeed, Brumgum, though strangely not as well as I know many of the others in the city. These walls with really old signwriting should all certainly be photographed for posterity, as this one has been. There used to be another down near Liverpool Street bus garage, though, of course, I don't know whether it is still there.

Maurice

Snow Hill, Britain From Above..
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw053096

Is that the Theatre in the middle of the shot?.

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw013569?search=snow hill birmingham&ref=7

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw062660

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw053091?search=snow hill birmingham&ref=1

If you register you can zoom right in, it's excellent. The first shot you should be able to see your dad's business (outer circle)
You can also see the Riley's store.

A great photograph. I worked in Kay Westworth's music shop in the 1950's before turning a professional musician. Kays shop was just about where the double blinds are, and where the bus coming up the hill is. Just slightly past Kays shop was a small arcade with Evans Violin repair services, and further down on the same side was Yardley's music shop. Yardley's called themselves "the big shop at the bottom of the hill" - they did not like Kay Westworth's taking all the music business! Also on the same side about where the second blind down is showing, was a Chinese restaurant. It was the first one I ever visited, and it was owned by Frank Soo who was an old Stoke City footballer. Looking at the cars I suggest the photo was taken around mid fifties because I had a Ford Consul just like the one approaching the crossing.

As I have already told some-one else who made enquiries about business locations in Snow Hill, I worked in Kay Westworths Music shop, about half way down Snow Hill during the mid 1950's. Just below our shop was Sid Evans, Violin Restorer, and Yardleys music shop was further down, on the right hand side. Yardleys moved to the other side when the shops on the right hand side were pulled down. Yardleys was known as "the big shop at the bottom of the hill". This was their attempt to make musicans pass our music shop, for theirs. We would have great musicians into the store including Jack Parnell, the drummer, Johnny Dankworth to buy alto reeds, and some of Stan Kentons band came in when they played Birmingham Town Hall. Just above Kays Westworths music shop, also on the right hand side going down, was the first Chinese restaurant that I ever visited. It was owned by Frank Soo, an old Stoke City right winger.
It was a very busy area of Birmingham, and the demolition of Snow Hill station was the final straw.

I can remember going into Kay Westworths quite often from mid 1957 onwards, generally accompanied by one or more of Pat Sweetman (drums), Rex Dorman (trombone), Brian Finch (alto/baritone), Jim Barker (trumpet), and others, and we also attended the Kenton concerts.

Maurice

Hi John Eddie (Ted) Haynes here! I remember when you played alto with our small group. Colin Willetts on Piano, Mack On trumpet. You emigrated to the USA with Ray? a drummer. Colin died about two years ago, and Mack died around 6 years ago. I am still going strong. I spent a lot of time in the States playing. The name of the shop in Snow Hill was Kay Westworths, where I worked. Remember Yardleys? further down on the same side, with Charlie Hewitt the shop manager. Cecil Viles tpt, Trevor Emney Tnr worked in the store. I remember Charlie taking me down to the basement in Yardleys, opening a trap door, and watching the River Rea flowing underneath the shop. I left Birmingham for ever, in 1959, and have toured the world working with many of the great musicians and singers. Who would have thought it when we think of the old days in the 50's. They were good days with many musicians gathering on Saturday afternoons, seeking "gig", chatting to see and hear what was happening. Sadly the wonderful old Snow Hill has long since vanished. I only visit Brum these days to see my sister (about twice a year). I remember you lived in Sheldon before emigrating. I still have a postcard that you sent me showing you outside the Lighthouse jazz Club, advertising Howard Rumsey and the All Stars.

This is NOT the original Yardley's Music Shop. This is the building that they moved into when the other side of Snow Hill was demolished. (I think that it is now know as Musical Exchange). The original Yardley's was known as Yardley's - pawnbrokers and music store "The big shop at the bottom of the hill".

I recall Charlie Hewitt, the manager of the original shop, taking me down into the basement, and opening a trap door. I think that it was the canal that run underneath the shop, and the original use of the trapdoor was that goods could be loaded, or unloaded directly into the shop. Even that was before my time!

Colmore Row and Snow Hill Station throughout the ages

Pictures: Colmore Row and Snow Hill Station through the ages

PM1964185-6899320.jpg

Hi Peg Monkey, I've mentioned somewhere before that my Mom was the managers of the Wimpy Bar in Snow Hill when it originally opened and then moved to do the same when they opened the more up market branch in Broad St.
I don't think I ever went to the Snow Hill one and think I only went to the Broad St. one once or twice though seem to remember the Wimpy Burger being more of a steak taste than the average.
As you very likely know they were named after the character in the Popeye cartoons so may have been an American thing so may be you could get the recipe from Dr. Google!
Cheers Tim
Hi Tim, good to see your post, I've tried Google but, (as my wife will attest) like CSE Maths, I didn't Major in Looking. Changing the original Wimpy - another example of fixing something that wasn't broke - the quest continues - an elusive prize that's worth the effort and certainly a case where the destination is more important than the journey!!
Regards,
Peg.

Snow Hill.Top of Snow Hill..jpg
Hi Peg, I used to buy my coffees from a mobile canteen outside the entrance and probably looked across at the Kardomah.
oldmohawk
Hi Peg Monkey, I've mentioned somewhere before that my Mom was the managers of the Wimpy Bar in Snow Hill when it originally opened and then moved to do the same when they opened the more up market branch in Broad St.
I don't think I ever went to the Snow Hill one and think I only went to the Broad St. one once or twice though seem to remember the Wimpy Burger being more of a steak taste than the average.
As you very likely know they were named after the character in the Popeye cartoons so may have been an American thing so may be you could get the recipe from Dr. Google!
Cheers Tim
Hi tim eborn.
I think this picture has been on the forum before,it shows the Wimpy bar at the top of Snow Hill in the 1950s i think.
mossg

peg have you seen this one before...one of the best i have found and of course a scene we will never see again its so busy...looking up snow hill from constitution hill...the pub on the left was the salutation

lyn

snow hill from constitution hill.jpg

Thanks Lyn and Mohawk for memory pics.
Used to be able to look down and see into Wimpy's from the bus coming home from Handsworth Tech ( if my failing memory serves me well?). Met up a few times with mates at the Kardomah and cut thro Gt Western Arcade to get bus from Bull St 37 or 44. Had a part time job after school on Sparkhill.
Lyn your picture evoked a strong smell if I rode my bike to school. Was there a tannery or chemical company just beyond there going away from Snow Hill ?
Cheers Tim.

A 1904 advert for the Castle and Falcon on Snow Hill. Any ideas where exactly along Snow Hill this might have been? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7
Viv

The corner of Slaney Street & Snow Hill.

Attachments

• Castle & Falcon Pub Snow Hill Slaney Street...[1].JPG
    Castle & Falcon Pub Snow Hill Slaney Street...[1].JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 28
hard to imagine that snow hill once looked liked this...another of my favourites as there is so much going on...

img450.jpg
(edited to insert the missing Snow Hill pic into this post)
SnowHill1959img450.jpg
Looking at the Wimpy bar in the pic, a menu from the early 1970s, the highest price on it is 55p for a 'Farmhouse Grill'.
20170621_061326000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
My mother was very partial to a Wimpy burger if she was shopping in town!
I think there was one next to the Odeon in New St wasn't there?

My mother was very partial to a Wimpy burger if she was shopping in town!
I think there was one next to the Odeon in New St wasn't there?

Yes and I think on Smallbrook Ringway, but my usual was in Corporation Street. I even saw a man wearing a MacDonald's uniform eating in there!

There are several Snow Hill threads (the road, not the station) which I have merged with this one. Viv.

Some images have been lost from this thread, so if anyone has these, grateful if you could let me know. Thanks.

Meanwile, this one shows mainly the station roof, but at the bottom left you can see a section of Snow Hill. (Top of the photo is Colmore Row). This might be around 1960s (?). Viv.

image.jpeg

Back