• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford

I think I read somewhere once that Enoch Powell was born in one of the houses on Station Road, next to the railway bridge. Can anyone confirm this?

tayrich

As I understand it, Enoch Powell was born in Flaxley Lane Stechford in 1912 and moved to Kings Norton in 1918

Lottie, just thought it could be Garretts Green Lane as it sort of sounds right, also thought of Remploy and wonder what it was known as prior to becoming Remploy, maybe some knew it by its previous name although it may have been purpose built.

Just wondered if the Newton Bullocks bit could be a name of part of the factory site as I think it was a large site in its day?

Lottie, if this gentleman always had a speech difficulty he could have worked at a specalist factory, could he be saying 'Garretts green lane' where there is/was (not sure) a Remploy factory for people with difficulties.
I don't know about wheelchairs but they, amongst other things, made small pieces of furniture.
I have no idea what was there before Remploy.
The main Remploy office in Birmingham may be able to help you.
Lottie, just thought it could be Garretts Green Lane as it sort of sounds right, also thought of Remploy and wonder what it was known as prior to becoming Remploy, maybe some knew it by its previous name although it may have been purpose built.

Just wondered if the Newton Bullocks bit could be a name of part of the factory site as I think it was a large site in its day?

Thanks guys! I've re-listened to the tape and he definitely says 'Garretts Green Lane' after (what may or may not be) 'Newton Bullocks' so I'll do some more digging around that. Thanks for your help though - coming up trumps! And I'm learning more about the area and its history too, so it's win, win!

Lottie. xx

The Richmond Pub has been replaced by a NHS centre, there are newish apartments opposite the police station. The Manor House was left empty for a while and was then set on fire, it has now been demolished and it's just empty ground at the moment, there was someone selling christmas trees from there at Christmas. A Lidl store was built on the Mackadwown and also the Pelham, though that one has closed and been taken over by someone else.

I'm a bit too yong to remember the Beaufort, wish I did and I like the pictures of Sation Road, there are still a row of old houses (or at least they look old) on the hill of Sation Road opposite the new retail park. And the snooker club is still there on the island of land made by Sation Rd, Iron Lane and Flaxley Rd - and that should be knocked down.

I used to work in the building that is now the snooker club (if it still is of course, - I haven't been through Stechford in a while), - I worked there back in the eary 70s, when it was a tool hire depot (one of the very first) called Tool Hire & Engineering Ltd, - we shared the premises with a fabrication company called Clyde Hopkins. On the Flaxley Road side of the building, there's a bricked up door, and concreted ramp beneath it - that was my handiwork.

The station also had buildings on the platform. it replaced the first station when the branch to Aston was built. Much of the industry has gone. Has any one got a picture of the Levis, where they made motor bikes. It is now the trading estate where Manor Taxis are based. There was a barn left on the Albert Road side where an old aeroplane engine was found several years ago. That barn has now been pulled down. As to Mc Vities I believe a factory house survives.

Ray Shill

The Levis factory was started by Butterfields, but later was associated with H E C who made air compressors. Levis petrol engines were still made on the site in the early 1970's. Looking at the images of Stechford (Britain from Above) the factory site was quite extensive, fronting Old Station Road and extending to Northcote Road.

Ray Shill

The River Cole formed the boundary between Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Stechford (Stichford) being part of Yardley was in Worcestershire. There was a long leat or mill stream that followed the Warwickshire Bank and served at water mill. Evidence of this former watercourse can be seen in the pools that still exist there.

The Stich (and the ford gave its name to this place) that crossed the road near the old cinema, is now hard to trace. Its course was covered by the Parkinson Cowan works and former workers there have mentioned a man hole access to this watercourse existing there. From there it must have passed under the Railway and Manor Road. It probably rose near the flats or Yardley Fields Road.

Ray Shill

Hi Ray, I feel I may know you from my dark and distant past.
I wanted to PM you but am unable.
Can you PM me please.
Ray D

Hi Ray D, you can find my details on the Railway & Canal Historical Society Website under Photograph Collection

Ray Shill

Further to the post on Levis, their motorcycles were once quite popular and visits were arranged to the factory between the wars. They also held a Levis trial where various riders on different make bikes competed for a cup

Ray Shill

View attachment 85424Another Station road 1950s by Parkinson Cowan I think
Hi Bernie. My parents owned the grocery shop from 1972 until 1980 when it was knocked down for "road widening". Was called youngs store and we never changed the name. I remember spending my early years playing snooker in Parkinson Cowan club. And went to work there from 1980 to 1987. I wonder if any of my work colleagues are reading this Tony Harris now living in New Zealand...

Hi Dave, i used to go into the cafe on station rd opp albert rd with my mates and play the pinball machines. I remember leviss . I'd forgotten they existed. Another shop I. Remember by iron lane was the shoe shop. I'm surprised I. Forgot that one because my mother bought me a pair of shoes there and they nearly crippled me. My mother didn't realise my feet had grown a size and a halve in six months. Regards rick

I remember the cafe at the top of the hill opposite the Station office. Every sat morning would get a bacon sandwich and play the pinball. There was Steve Perrigo, Dave and a few others. Circa 1972/73

When i was a Schoolboy 1969, 1970´s having a saturday job, summer job at the small Butchers in the corner on Stechford road think it was called Pitt or Pitts, had to do delivery´s on a bike saturday´s. Made me laugh that at the end of the day they put the savings in the oven of the cooker out the back

Hi Ray
do you recall the big fire at parkisons as i do my old dutchess the wife lived in Mannor road
and there house over looked the factory as there was high ground we was all sitting out side have a cuppa when we seen the
Smoke belowing up and the flames rageing we all dashed around on to the main road peering through the iron railings
my wife used to work at the VG Grocery store just before the bank the owner sold out to the asians
then she got transfered to the one up behind the swimming baths
by the way i recall the cafe , by any chance could it have been dave ward you was reffering to
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Another view of a place already posted here I believe making it more complete. I an sure the other picture just shows the pub and the bread vans.

At the top of flaxley rd there was a dirt pathway that went between two sports fields all the way to audley rd and there on the left were arow of prefabs. Does anyone remember them?
I remember that gulleyway very well - I lived in harrowfield road as a schoolboy, and my best friend at the time lived in stud lane, so it was my daily walk to meet up with him and then on to school in gressel lane.
There was a tree near the flaxley end of the gulley which for some reason known only to kids, we used to spend a lot of time climbing.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Au...noid=OBp9iZT5E4_nT1F38Jgc-A&cbp=12,270,,0,0.1
Note the boundary sign on the corner of Church Lane and Audley Road.
porterparts that is a old pic of the gleeb.
Hi

I rented a garage from an old chap in Albert Road back in the early 60s. He had had
a Levis Motorbike in WW1, and he told me how hard it was to get petrol. He used to
start the bike on gas and when it was warmed up, switch to paraffin. You could still
see how the gas pipe was routed down his garden.
Levis apparently used the circle formed by Northcote Road and Albert Road as a test track.

I seem to remember that the border between Stechford and Yardley was between Bordesley
Green East and Vicarage Road.

Kind regards

Dave
the richmond pub.was the border.past that was east bham.... alcombe grove past that was yardley..
station rd island.past that. was ward end...audley rd jkn gleeb farm rd,past that was gleeb farm,
poolway up the meadway.past that is lee village....it coverd a vast area.

Hi Viv,

What date would the picture of Albert Rd post office have been? It would appear
to be a sub post office, and I guess would have been replaced by the main PO
about 50 yards further down Albert Road.

Where was the Green, Stechford? I cant for the life of me place it!

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Pete,

Yes, I was thinking of the border post on Station Road.

If you went down Richmond Road past the Richmond pub
you were in South Yardley. Happy memories of living down
Wash Lane with my in laws when I first got married.
Both my mother-in-law and my wife's sister worked for
Syd Vernon at the Richmond

Kind regards
Dave

Hi all just joined the forum.Lived in Easthope Rd up the Glebe. Tontohnz my brother worked atParkinsonsCookers for many years making up the Gas Rails.Istuck it for 3 months in65 making up the OVENS terrible job.Lived up the Glebe from 49-63 got married and went to live in Lichfield

Hi Viv,

What date would the picture of Albert Rd post office have been? It would appear
to be a sub post office, and I guess would have been replaced by the main PO
about 50 yards further down Albert Road.

Where was the Green, Stechford? I cant for the life of me place it!

Kind regards
Dave
were i put the red cross

Attachments

• the green.png
    the green.png
    345.2 KB · Views: 16
Hi Bernie. My parents owned the grocery shop from 1972 until 1980 when it was knocked down for "road widening". Was called youngs store and we never changed the name. I remember spending my early years playing snooker in Parkinson Cowan club. And went to work there from 1980 to 1987. I wonder if any of my work colleagues are reading this Tony Harris now living in New Zealand...
i remember that shop

Back