• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Telephone history: Telephone Service in Birmingham

Have tried to enlard and sharpen a bit

Attachments

• IMG_0506m.jpg
    IMG_0506m.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 26
I believe Four Oaks was the last exchange in the Birmingham (0121) Telephone system to go Automatic, cannot remember the date but sometime during my employment with PO telephones 1956- 1987 given the code FOU. Eric

That picture of an engineer climbing up a frame reminds me of the time I spent in Sheldon and all that yellow cloth i put on a special tool to clean contacts. I was a Y3YC but GPO didnt like me and I didn't like them at age 16 to 18. Can anyone remind me of staff that worked there, supervisor was Gordon, my pal Geoff Horner was there same time.

Last edited:
I believe Four Oaks was the last exchange in the Birmingham (0121) Telephone system to go Automatic, cannot remember the date but sometime during my employment with PO telephones 1956- 1987 given the code FOU. Eric

"At 8.30 a.m. on Saturday 14th November 1964 the new Four Oaks ATE opened in new premises"

Thanks Curly, never worked in that area, so not familiar with its history, spent most of my service around AST, EAS, VIC and the black country, certainly remember you at GKN Group Head Office, I wonder if it is still there ? I took early retirement nearly 30 years ago, how time flies. Eric

THIS satellite photo shows Cranford St area! (click on 'THIS') - I retired early,... in 2001 (effectively redundant)

Sorry fellows. GKN is long gone from Smethwick together with all its fastners operations along Cranford Street and Grove Lane. Its HO moved to Redditch, I guess, about 30 years ago.

David, how sad, spent many happy hours visiting and repairing their telephone system, when I retired from PO Telephones in the 80's (just changed to BT) I was presented with a £100 gift voucher for Art materials by GKN, presented personally by the chairman Sir somebody or other. Happy days !

That's probably why they always said the PO was a job for life. Should think you would need 45 yrs to sort out the wiring. Paul

Just watched a BBC4 programme "Dial 'B' for Britain: The Story of the Landline" worth a look on catch up if you missed it (or maybe a repeat).
From Bell to Broadband.

That picture of an engineer climbing up a frame reminds me of the time I spent in Sheldon and all that yellow cloth i put on a special tool to clean contacts. I was a Y3YC but GPO didnt like me and I didn't like them at age 16 to 18. Can anyone remind me of staff that worked there, supervisor was Gordon, my pal Geoff Horner was there same time.

hi tony...what is a Y3YC please...

lyn

a Y3YC was an apprentice training scheme PO Telephones ran, I doubt if the privatised BT have similar schemes (I could be wrong). I was not an apprentice, joined PO Telephones in 1956 aged 26 and stayed for 33 years. A good company to work for. Eric

it is a Youths Three Year Course. The name given to apprentice telephone engineers at the GPO (now BT).
Does anyone know what 81's are?

thanks eric..now i know...i trained on the PBMX switchboard had to go somewhere in the city centre for training but i just cant remember where i went...this would have been in 1970..somewhere in my head i have the GPO in mind maybe someone can help..i loved those switchboards

lyn

Lyn, probably MIDland or CENtral telephone exchanges, one is in Great Charles Street, the other, I think, is in Hill Street. Don't wish to sound pedantic but it's PMBX (private manual branch exchange) not PBMX, I used to maintain customers PMBX's until I got promoted to PABX's (private automatic branch exchanges). Loved the job until it was privatised and became BT in the mid 80's so took early retirement 2 years later. Eric

oops eric i got the M AND B the wrong way round..from memory i dont think it was hill st i went to so could have been gt charles st..was a long time ago..

thanks pedro..i am going to have to dig deep into the memory bank now..went to a museum near portsmouth a few years back i just could not resist donning the old head set once more and saying...oxy metal good morning or doorfit good afternoon:D

lyn

me at switchboard.jpg

Last edited:
Back