• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harry lucas school

One day in my 4th year (1964)........
"Peg, a lighting kit for Parents' Evening to show off 2A's Stained Glass Window Project, are you up for it?"
"Is it dangerous, Mr Jones (Art teacher)?
"4 Bulbs, 400 watts, mains voltage."
"That'll do nicely!!"
Time came to test - plugged in switched on, there was an almighty flash and a smell of burning.
"Everything OK, Peg?" Said Mr Jones diverting his attention from 2A.
"Perfectly, Sir, slight technical hitch, will be fixed in a jiffy."
Problem was an overload in part of the circuit, soon fixed, worked like a dream, on Parents' Evening made sure there was a card stating: Lighting Kit by P. Monkey for all to see.
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now in my 5th year (1965) me and my close associates one day descended on the science master and declared we would lie to make water. "Pardon?"
"We want to make water, H2O, 2 parts hydrogen to 1 part oxygen, how difficult can it be?" My reply.
Whilst not wishing to curb our enthusiasm he explained, "I agree the chemistry appears simple, in reality we would have to recreate conditions that existed at the dawn of creation, the big bang."
Now any mention of a bang, and particularly a big one, was bound to capture our imagination, but we were destined for disappointment, he continued, "Even if we could combine the elements, yes we probably could make water, but the resultant explosion would demolish the school and most of the city, if not all of it, and the water we would actually make would be a few droplets that would have accumulated on the pile of rubble that was once the school."
In a much less ambitious excercise the science master showed us how to distill water vapour from town gas, but some how it wasn't the same, it.........lacked...... the danger element.
I think I've read somewhere that the young male of the species is hard-wired to actually seek out danger, no doubt something to do with testosterone and attracting the female, it nearly always is!
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, another high risk episode in the science lab from my 5th year, can I say first off I was just an innocent bystander this time(?!). The science master had built an impressive wave tank (a simple but fascinating piece of equipment which uses a strobe to freeze wave movements (to study among otherthings refraction and reflection, I think - enough of the science). Anyway, there were five of us and leaving us alone was a high risk strategy, but the teacher did. One of our number let's call him Tom (I can actually remember his name but let's keeps names secret to protect the innocent) Anyway Tom had done a double paper round that morning and was the worse for it. Ex-pupils will recall the lab had a bench down each long side of the room, every metre or so there was a sink, a pair of electrical terminals for low voltage experiments and a Bunsen Burner gas connection. Tom had made the ill-considered decision to put his head on his arms about an inch away from a gas outlet (you can probably see where I'm going with this) and was partly asleep when his best friend, (I stress again, not me) let's call him Dick, decided the time was right for Tom to strike up a close relationship with town gas (North Sea gas was yet to make an appearance at that time) and duly turned the gas tap on (still about an inch from Tom's nose). It wasn't long before Tom came to life, (in fact I've seldom seen someone wake from slumber so rapidly) Tom was far from happy and fists would have flown had the teacher not returned moments later.
Ah! happy days.
Regards,
Peg.

It's with a hint of sadness I post this post because I suspect I may have got to the end of my vivid school memories, there may be others that emerge given the right catalyst (hypnosis might do it but that's a bit extreme and high risk if my wife is in ear-shot, as recollections other than school might emerge) but moving swiftly on (actually thinking about it I might have the chronology slightly wrong, my penultimate posting should have been my CSE results) anyway: Session with Careers Officer, negative or positive experience? I was left with the feeling too little too late, I was told to forget the first three jobs on my list as I wouldn't have the required entry qualifications (O Levels). I've been trying to remember when the actual meeting took place (3rd or 4th year?) It couldn't have been the 5th, that would have bee too late. Whilst I believe the earlier you get advice the better, the truth is, at aged 11 and in the first year I hardly knew what day it was and not in a position to make decision that would impact on the rest of my life.
Anyway I leave school July 1965 alive with thought there are opportunities around every corner and thinking, That's the end of school! WRONG - little did I know then I'd got nearly 6 years of college in front of me, but in those days there was a chance you might get something like the job of your choice.
So Peg has passed his go-cart on, carol singing and train-spotting are long behind him and he's bought a suit - yes, it looks like he's caught responsibility.
Big wide world here I come.

Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, do you remember any of your theatre trips? One that sticks in my mind is My Fair Lady. In Miss Gossmore's English class The Book of the Month was Pygmalion and My Fair lady was on at the Alex (Or was it the Hip?) starring Tony Britton as Prof Higgins (can't remember who played Eliza). I estimated I was in the third year, Form G1, and the date was 1963; I thought I would have no trouble confirming this using Tony Britton's career as reference - no such look, for some reason this particular appearance isn't listed, if I wasn't certain I'd conclude I'd made a mistake. Another memorable trip was to The New Coventry Cathedral, not long after it was constructed, very impressive.
Regards,
Peg.

Hello Peg. Tony Britton appeared at the Birmingham Hippodrome in My Fair Lady opening on Monday August 24th in 1964. Jill Martin played Eliza. I did go and see it and a flyer for the musical is shown below. It has been reported elsewhere that Tony Britton was born in Birmingham (9th June 1924) and is still alive today. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020812 (2).JPG
    P1020812 (2).JPG
    487 KB · Views: 4
Hello Peg. Tony Britton appeared at the Birmingham Hippodrome in My Fair Lady opening on Monday August 24th in 1964. Jill Martin played Eliza. I did go and see it and a flyer for the musical is shown below. It has been reported elsewhere that Tony Britton was born in Birmingham (9th June 1924) and is still alive today. Dave.
Hi farmerdave, Fantastic! Particularly like the poster, Thanks. I was a year out on my estimate, 1964 puts me in my 4th year not the 3rd. Thanks again. (Can't place Jill Martin.)
Regards,
Peg.

just as an aside tony brittons dad ran the royal mint pub icknield st

lyn
Hi Lyn, my house in Heaton St was near the rear entrance to Icknield St School. It was great on voting days when the school was a polling station, it meant I could play ball in the playground without getting my collar felt by the local PC for playing in the street, mind you, you can understand his actions - every weekday evening about 4.00pm the buses would leave the depot in Ford St and use the length of Heaton St to test their brakes (accelerating and braking hard about 1/2 doz times as they proceeded up the road) before going into service.
"Ah! happy days."
Regards,
Peg.
Footnote
Sorry, should have checked the map first, Bus Depot was on Whitmore St not Ford St.

Last edited:
hi peg..never one to miss an opportunity:D dad went to icknield st school after leaving burbury st school... yes i would imagine it could be very dodgy on brake testing days but as you say happy days

lyn

Hi Folks got to thinking about Spoon Maestro Jim (posting #158 Page 8), my association with him was quite brief and I have been trying to work out where he had gone to school, he lived close to The Flat and he was about my age, I went first to Ellen St School for a short time and then Farm St was my junior school before going to HLS and I know he didn't go to either of those and yet there were no others in the area, and then I'm guessing he went to Icknield St because I know he didn't go to HLS, anyway he deserved success, can't help feeling if he had excelled in a more mainstream instrument I would have heard of him more, he will have retired by now, maybe he changed his name and is living in a tax haven following a glittering career in Formula 1!
Regards,
Peg.

School Dinners - Hi Folks, touched on these a couple of times before, but I feel compelled for the sake of the record to highlight the buns, scones,.....whatever they were called (and that's my first dilemma) that accompanied the salad, the salad was quite good, I can still remember the rows of the constituent part in the giant tins and how the dinner lady carefully made certain you received a portion of each; but the bun seemed a bit of a hybrid, it wasn't a bun it was a bit like a very firm scone, I've no doubt they were baked on the morning of the day they were served, and there was some kind of spread between the top and bottom, never managed to establish was it was, could have been butter, it was very pale and spread very thin, anyway I think had it been a soft Warburton's split bun with a generous dap of Lurpak in the middle I might well have persevered with the salad - I've just remembered something crucial!- no mayo or salad cream, can anybody in the universe eat salad without one or the other?
I'd usually buy 3 or 4 dinner tickets on the Monday and seek an alternative lunch option when salad was being served, I have to say none of my options would have been Jamie Oliver approved: Option 1 Source: Shop on the corner of Burbury Street and Farm Street: Cadbury's Bar 6, Apple & Blackberry Pie and a bag of crisps, Option 2. Source: Cafe corner of Farm Street and Bridge Street West (name still to be established): Egg sandwich and Option 3. source: John Street West Chippy: Bag of chips.
Sorry got to go it's tea-time.
Regards,
Peg.

Summer 1964 and Summerfield Park was the chosen venue for the mini HLSS Tennis Tournament (I know what you are thinking, Handsworth would have been closer) I don't know how we got there - don't recall going in the city and out again, which means we must have got the bus opposite Springhill Library - quite a walk from the school. Anyway the six of us set up camp at one of the tennis courts, minor problem - only 4 rackets, but we all got a fair share of play.

We had a great time, don't think anyone was keeping score, the main thing was just to enjoy the games - singles and doubles. 7.00pm approached rapidly so the next match was going to be the last, it was my turn to have a racket for the finale but two individuals would be left out, for want of equipment - my mate Brian thought otherwise, he searched around for anything he could use as a racket, all he could find was one of Big Barry's size 9s, and, with shoe in hand, he headed for my side of the net, the other racket-less player did the same so there was 3 a-side.

Big Barry was well named. He was tall and, frankly, a bit on the heavy side so it didn't take more than a mediocre drop shot or a ball further than a yard from him to better him, but when it came to serving that was a different ball game. We'd been playing a few sets and it was obvious 3 a-side was cramping everyone's style; the time came for Big Barry to serve, it was then I got this sense of impending danger, which I dismissed as silly, what possible disaster could occur on a tennis court, and a grass one at that?

Read on.

I was an on-looker at this point, I wasn't due to receive Big Barry's serve so I could watch events unfold.

Then something strange happened as Big Barry prepared to serve, in a most professional manner he bounced the ball on the turf a couple of times and then, suddenly, it was as if I was watching everything in slow motion as an eerie stillness descended over the court - traffic noise stopped, birds fell silent and the gentle breeze disappeared.

Big Barry took a deep breath and launched his ball high into the air, whilst swinging his racket behind him as far as it would go. The ball reached its zenith, paused for a split second and began its decent, at exactly the right point Big Barry made contact with the ball, and I was amazed at the quality of his serve. It was the sort of serve that an amateur makes once in a lifetime - if he is lucky and the sort of serve that a Wimbledon Champ might make 2 or 3 times in their career.

To call the serve an Ace does not do it justice, it was absolute perfection in every respect.

The racket distorted under the strain as the ball left Big Barry's racket like a shell from a Howitzer.

Now, in the split second all this was happening, Brian, with shoe-racket in hand, made a fatal error of judgement, he got between Big Barry and Phil, who was receiving the serve. The ball crossed the net just a few inches above it in a blur and at near-sonic velocity. Brian looked on in horror as the missile approached him, with only a shoe for a racket his fate had been written.....

Ladies, and those of a sensitive, innocent and caring nature, are advised to fast-forward to the next post, avoiding clicking on the thumbnail.

.....the tennis ball caught poor Brian full-on in the family jewels. He dropped like a stone, in fact I've never seen anyone fall to the ground so rapidly, and there he lay curled up and writhing in agony.

I know what you are thinking, "His friends must have rushed to his aid." Wrong!

We all collapsed laughing,
in our defense we couldn't have dome much to relieve his suffering, had there been a cylinder of oxygen nearby that would have come in handy. After a few minutes Brian uncurled and began to recover - no lasting damage would result, although he was destined to walk a little strangely for the next few days.

Needless to say the match was abandoned, we got our things together and headed for our respective bus stops - my 5 friends headed generally in the direction of school but I had to get to the Erdington-Sutton border, and I've been trying to retrace my journey home , there is no direct route as far as I can tell - I must have got the Outer Circle 11 bus via the Crown & Cushion, Perry Barr, onto Witton and then the Plaza, Stockland Green getting off at 6 Ways, Erdington and getting the 64 bus to the Yenton.

Goodness knows what time I got home, too late to do any maths revision, again.

Ah! Happy days.

Regards,
Peg.
Tennis match.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Folks, I returned my CSE Certificate to its safe place the other day and couldn't prevent my eyes settling on Woodwork Grade 4. I know what you are thinking, "Why is he still banging on about his Woodwork Grade 4?" Well, I've decided a veil has to be drawn over the whole sordid business and that is now my aim.

I've revisited the time when we chose the CSE subjects we were planning to sit, which I estimate was the beginning of my 5th year, that would be Sept 1964. I chose Woodwork because I had won 2 school prizes for it and I was pretty good at it (contrary to the CSE result) but on reflection that was not a good enough reason. Yes, there would have been merit getting a Grade 1 in any subject but the brutal reality is I wasted my time as I had no ambition whatsoever to become a carpenter (as noble a profession it is) - the inescapable truth is I wasted my time, time that could have been better spent (trying) to improve my maths.

I know hindsight is an exact science and none of this now matters a tinker's cuss but I lay it out before you that others that follow me might benefit from my experience. The moral of the tale has to be Don't waste time on activity that doesn't further your objective.

That's it folks, Peg's CSE Woodwork Grade 4: Subject Officially Closed (It's only taken 51 years).

Regards,
Peg.

Miss Chivvers wasn't without competition in the glamour stakes; does anyone remember the tall slim blonde teacher , circa late twenties, that paraded around the school like a fashion model? - can't remember her name or subject (c1960-65).

Regards,
Peg.

thanks peg..very nice...i shall be going to the library again next week..will once again do a search for any photos of the school but they are very elusive

lyn
The Bicycle Thief Movie - Lyn, I fear the worst, I think if it was going to be found it would have surfaced by now. I can't help but imagine it was skipped when the school closed, together with other "junk" that might now be considered as valuable artefacts - I still wonder what happened to the 3 or 4 school trophies - impressive silver cups.

It's only by the Grace of God I salvaged the school pic - Page 2.

Peg.

Peg Monkey
Undoubtably true. My old Grammar school (not in Birmingham) was "taken over " by a new " progressive" head, who had a ceremonial burning of the honors boards.

hi peg well i shall certainly ask if it is in the schools archives at the library...if we dont ask we wont know...i shall also ask them to search the burbury st school archives as it could well be put in that lot..

lyn

Miss Chivvers wasn't without competition in the glamour stakes; does anyone remember the tall slim blonde teacher , circa late twenties, that paraded around the school like a fashion model? - can't remember her name or subject (c1960-65).

Regards,
Peg.

If memory serves me right it could have been Miss Haggit (Hagget)? Rather tasty French teacher as I recall.

Lozellian.

If memory serves me right it could have been Miss Haggit (Hagget)? Rather tasty French teacher as I recall.

Lozellian.
Hi Lozellian, 5-10 in heels, long blonde hair, rosebud lips, size 4, attitude - other than that can't remember much about her; how does that compare?

Peg.

Bonjour, est-ce qu'obtenir le CSE Francais? Si oui - le respect.
Senora Pedro Monkey - Francais - gross stupido!

Ce qui concerne,
Peg.

Hi Lozellian, 5-10 in heels, long blonde hair, rosebud lips, size 4, attitude - other than that can't remember much about her; how does that compare?

Peg.

Hi Peg,

Love the comment, it compares favourably I reckon and I don't think you're too far off the mark there ha ha, not sure about the heels though.

Lozellian.

HELP! I'm trying to upload some photos, some accepted others not, upload failures accompanied by the message:
The following error has occurred: The uploaded file is too large.
They are just ordinary pics, but I have tidied them up a bit in publisher before changing to a JPEG and trying to post.
Regards,
Peg.

If using Windows, a method given earlier on the forum
I find the following way the easiest to 'down size' pics/files for uploading
(1) right click on selected pic
(2)click 'open with'
(3) click 'paint'
(4) press Control and letter W together, in the resulting box reduce from 100% to (say) 50%, click OK click 'x' in top right hand corner.
Eric

Hi Peg. We have a Handsworth Park thread here which might be of interest. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/handsworth-park.3518/page-8#post-583275

I think your last post will be better placed there for an answer. So I have moved your post to that thread. Viv.
Hi Viv, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow (it's usually Lyn).
I did actually check the Handsworth Park Thread before posting and this pic is already on there hence, as it relates more to school activity, it was, after careful consideration, posted on the HLS Thread - no harm to post on both?
Regards,
Peg.

Lozellian.

I confess that I had many a boyhood fantasy of Miss Haggett. I hated French but was always eager to sit at the front near her desk....... Memories

Back