• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

kirby

Hi WRB Is this your John R Perks?
Perks Harry aged 35 (Head),born Kenley, Shropshire occ Ordinary Agricultural Labourer
Sarah J aged 36 (Wife) born Bentall, Shropshire
Thomas aged 10 born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
William H aged 7 born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
Sarah J aged 5 born Church Stretton, Shropshire
John R aged 2 born Church Stretton,
all living Longville, Acton Scott
10 years later
PERKS, Henry aged 48 (Head) born 1863 Kenley Shropshire occ Working Farm Bailiff
Sarah Jane aged 46 (Wife) born 1865 Bentall Shropshire
Thomas (Single) aged 20 born 1891 Much Wenlock occ Waggoner On Farm
William (Single) aged 17 born 1894 Much Wenlock occ Cowman On Farm
John Richard aged 12 born 1899 Rushbury Stretton
George Robert aged 9 born 1902 Rushbury Stretton
Esther Emmly aged 7 born 1904 Rushbury Stretton
Dorothy Alice aged 3 born 1908 Much Wenlock
Address: 5 Wyke Much Wenlock Shropshire
Married 21 years.10 children,7 still alive
Tench Thomas aged 34 (Head) born East Wall, occ Farm Labourer
Lucy aged 26 (Wife) born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
Ida aged 5 born Longville, Shropshire
Elsie aged 3 born Longville, Shropshire
Thomas aged 5 Months born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
Hill Lily aged 15 Sister In Law born Much Wenlock, Shropshire occ General Domestic Servant
address given as Wyke, Bourton Much Wenlock
10 years later,Ida is working as a General Servant Domestic for the Woolbrick family at Longville,Much Wenlock. Mr John A Woolbrick is a farmer.

Hi pcm
My mom went to school with some of the Kirby family my moms 81 now, I'm seeing her today i'll ask her for there names if you want and get back you

Lowie

Re: Kirby family, Cope Street

I'm new to this site & new to tracing my ancestors. My surname is KIRBY & my mother's maiden name was MATTHEWS. I've long since lost both my parents & lost touch with all my other relatives in childhood, apart from my one brother. I'm interested in tracing ancestors & current relatives on either side of the family.

I don't know a great deal about my forbears: My father was Walter Kirby born in 1903 & he in childhood lived in Cope St, Birmingham (Ladywood?), with his father, John Howard Kirby (b1875), fishmonger; mother Emily Alice Kirby (b1875); brothers John & Thomas; & sisters Doris, Rosey & Violet. My parents married in 1929 & then lived in Handsworth. During WWII he was an RSM in the RAMC in India & Burma & afterwards mostly worked at the B'ham General Hospital.

My mother's parents were John (b1860) & Jane Matthews (Wemm) (b1867), they lived in Weaman Street in 1911 & Newton St at the time of the 1901 census. Their children were: Minnie (who emigrated to Australia), Elsie, Sidney, Claude, Harold, Edith & my mother Ivy. Jane Wemm was from Sedgley, Staffs. Her father, John (b 1836) & mother Jane (b1834) lived in Hop Yard Lane. (Can't trace them back further than that).

I've seen several references to a Kirby family in the Ladywood & Hockley area on this site (after their marriage my parents lived very close to Hockley Brook), but I don't recognise any of the names or details.

Can anyone help?

There was a kirby family in little king street hockley.Only know the siblings David and Derek twins and an elder brother John all went to Harry Lucas Schhol leaving in the 60,s

hi shadow
sorry to be briefe but i am on my way to the belfry for a car bot ;there was a dek if i remeber correctly lived in king edwards rd
its now 3 30 i have to dash but i will come back later some time because there could be a connection with the family in cope street
two lads as i recal and the father woreked for the water board and so did the one son when he got older ;
cope street was only a liuttle walk up sprimg field st lady wood and they lived behind mr woods the green crocers in king edwards rd facing there house
these people was well respected people ; the other kirbys was from hockley but they was rag and bone scrap dealers whom was nothink to do with your family by the way ; wil catch you later ; astonian ;

Re: Kirby family, Cope Street

Thanks for your response Astonian, I look forward to hearing more when you have time.

Shadow (Brian)

HI Shadow
firstly these kirbys of the ones you are hoping to be part of your tree; from hockley are not related to the big kirbys family of the hockley tree
from around hockley brook of yester years beleive me they was of the scrap metal trade and rags and woolens and incidently they came up to king edwards road
from hockley way back in the late fifties and bought out waklins builders yard whom offices was in springfield street it was a house i can recall alot of he guys whom worked for them tinker was one of the painters and deco team and ginger williams was living around in ingleby street in the back houses as the builder
and they used to have to push hand carts around the area to carry out there contracts
your kirbys was a smart dressed family and hard working the lads went to school and the dad worked for the water board as it was in those days
and the mother was a good looking lady and smartly dressed and worked hard the oldest was dek if i recall properly and a fair haired lad,s
the other kirbys family lived directly across the rd facing our house at first my mother used to make them pots of tea until they got sorted with the yard office and the rest of the family moved up even there sister barbara kirby moved up from hingestion street which was one of her yards for rags and woolens which she had at the near of hingestion street and the early kirbys lived in cope street just a block from kingedwards rd where the parents of dek ; and his fore fathers lived
and it would have been about four entrys along from your kirbys to the ones with the scrap and woolens yard there is some picturesof the old cope street
and of the kirbys first lorry bought at the kingedwards yard ladywood ; my dear old friend and best friend whom got killed on his motor bike tony
taking his girl friend home one night many years ago got killed on his bike in watery lane ;
the other part of the kirbys family whom are sibbling to the older kirbys used to be scatterd around winson green area but thats another story ;
but tony was a friend of deks ;they lived up the entry in a back house behind mr and mrs woods [ family whom ran the general grocers up on the corner of king edwards rs and monument rd next to mr clews cycles and garage on the veruy corner and the woods bought a gren grocer across the rd from your kirbys
best wishes astonian

hi sylv ;
tim kirby a nice guy was one of the youngest of the kirbys ;of the scrap metal and woolies there is a sister called barbara ;
and the kirby from ford street was a old copper at summer lane and was related to the kirbys of opld farm st
and people used to talk about him ; saying he knew way back in the old generation of the kirbys the fore fathers of the era ;
saying he must have known about certain carrying on,s around summer lane which he always maintained he knew nothink and yes he did emigrate to australia; way way back then and never came back apparently ; there was another older member of the family whom always was the fall guy for the gang and he done lots of time
he done long sentences and they looked after his family whilst doing time ;but as he got oplder in life he said enough is a enough and he was not being a fall guy
no more so they went around to his house and smasched his house windows in and fought with him in the street [ king edwards rd ladywood ]
this was in the middle of the fifty ; we lived yards from him and there knew found yard of kingedwards rd ; astonian ;;

Hi, I. New here but have Kirby's in my family tree, although not sure they are the same ones.
My grandfather (Joseph James Jones) born 1899, his mother was Alice Kirby born 1879 married Samuel Jones born 1876, they lived at ten acres which I think is Pershore St? They are on the 1901 census, but then Samuel disappears, Alice went on to marry a Williams and run a fish and chip shop and a grocers store I believe.
Alice's father was James Kirby born 1836, her mother was Eliza Lisemore.
Would appreciate any info, especially what happened to Samuel as there is very little so far.
Thanks

I went to school with a Jimmy Kirby in Aston in 1964 might not be the same Kirbys what do you folks think?

Hi Elly,

I am related you your Kirby's, my great great grandfather was James Kirby, brother to Joseph Kirby, meaning your great great grandmother Emma, was my great grandmother Alice's cousin.

James's daughter Alice married Samuel Jones and had my grandfather Joseph Jones in 1899, they are on the 1901 census, but within a couple of years Alice married again to a Williams and had more children, Samuel seems to disappear here but I'm still looking ( bit of a family mystery that needs solving!)

My family tree is on Ancestry.com and I have managed to trace many Kirby's and also link up with other tree's that contain them.

Nice to meet you :)

Deborah

hi dogbogen;
The jimmy kirby you are refereing to is one of the very young kirbys of the old family of kirbys
whom later moved to the hockley and handsworth boundrys of brum around the late seventys one of there sibblings
my younger brother inlaw used to associate with young jimmy kirby in around that period
i know the older generation of the kirbys family the old orinional there fore fathers and most of the generations of them ;
on the old ladywood site there is a picture of the old lorry and there first big lorry out side ther scrap yard and there rag yard
its on the king edwards rd section and our house is just oppersite ;when we was kids ; Astonian;;

Astonian, is the Kirby fall guy you are writing about, Jack Kirby the former boxer and rag yard man who lived on Frankfort street in the 60's?

Good to hear from you,
Kevin

HI KEV;
Yes old jack was the one whom was the fall guy ;they moved up from frankfors street to king edward rd ladywood
and another associate lived in the king edwads rd on the little king edwards rd i cannot mention any names for legal reasons
i think it was irelean or barbara open a little rag yard in hingestion street for a little while then she moved up and combined her bussiness with the brothers in there yard which was wakelins the builder and painters of brum there office was around in springfield street
nice to hear from you kev; best wishes Astonian;;

Hi Dechasjay I have just read you post I have been looking into this line of Kirby for a friend and your names are in the line I am looking into. I have found an Alice Jones marrying Thomas J William 1Q 6d. 177. Kings Norton 1917 this could possibly tie in with a death for a Samuel Jones 3Q. 6d. 508 Aston. 1916. Might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
hi dottie ;
just click on to your thread and see your location as ausie ;are you in any member of asociated to the great grand father of the kirbys from originating
from old farm street whom at some point emigreated to australia as i recll way way back in time early 190os possible albert and thomas the older gereration of
the kirby family and i beleive there great grand father was a serving police officier at the time he would have been born in the 1800s any connectionions
to irene kirby whom i believe was the sister ;wih in the kirbys ; best wishes astonian;;

Hi Allan I do not have any connection to the Kirby family I am just helping a friend with her Kirby family. So I am sorry I am no help to you. Dottie.

HI Shadow
firstly these kirbys of the ones you are hoping to be part of your tree; from hockley are not related to the big kirbys family of the hockley tree
from around hockley brook of yester years beleive me they was of the scrap metal trade and rags and woolens and incidently they came up to king edwards road
from hockley way back in the late fifties and bought out waklins builders yard whom offices was in springfield street it was a house i can recall alot of he guys whom worked for them tinker was one of the painters and deco team and ginger williams was living around in ingleby street in the back houses as the builder
and they used to have to push hand carts around the area to carry out there contracts
your kirbys was a smart dressed family and hard working the lads went to school and the dad worked for the water board as it was in those days
and the mother was a good looking lady and smartly dressed and worked hard the oldest was dek if i recall properly and a fair haired lad,s
the other kirbys family lived directly across the rd facing our house at first my mother used to make them pots of tea until they got sorted with the yard office and the rest of the family moved up even there sister barbara kirby moved up from hingestion street which was one of her yards for rags and woolens which she had at the near of hingestion street and the early kirbys lived in cope street just a block from kingedwards rd where the parents of dek ; and his fore fathers lived
and it would have been about four entrys along from your kirbys to the ones with the scrap and woolens yard there is some picturesof the old cope street
and of the kirbys first lorry bought at the kingedwards yard ladywood ; my dear old friend and best friend whom got killed on his motor bike tony
taking his girl friend home one night many years ago got killed on his bike in watery lane ;
the other part of the kirbys family whom are sibbling to the older kirbys used to be scatterd around winson green area but thats another story ;
but tony was a friend of deks ;they lived up the entry in a back house behind mr and mrs woods [ family whom ran the general grocers up on the corner of king edwards rs and monument rd next to mr clews cycles and garage on the veruy corner and the woods bought a gren grocer across the rd from your kirbys
best wishes astonian
I am related to those Kirby, with the scrap metal, my grandad was james Kirby, and my dad harold kirby.

Hi Elly,

I am related you your Kirby's, my great great grandfather was James Kirby, brother to Joseph Kirby, meaning your great great grandmother Emma, was my great grandmother Alice's cousin.

James's daughter Alice married Samuel Jones and had my grandfather Joseph Jones in 1899, they are on the 1901 census, but within a couple of years Alice married again to a Williams and had more children, Samuel seems to disappear here but I'm still looking ( bit of a family mystery that needs solving!)

My family tree is on Ancestry.com and I have managed to trace many Kirby's and also link up with other tree's that contain them.

Deborah
My grandad was james kirby,married to Eliza?, I know my dad was harold and he had a sister Doris.

any knowledge of the kirby family who lived within the hockley area, i believe they may have owned a shop and had moved from blackpool area where they had a fish and chip shop in the 40's ??
My grandad James owners the chip shop.

hi pcm
i have just picked up on your thread for a request into the kirby family
i am wondering ,or should i say which one of the kirbys was your father
and i know of the kirbys family from old to what i call the younger generations
as well from winson green area the forefathers busuiness was in farm st
hockley which would have been about a mile from ford st hoclkley brook
if you can tell me which one was your father i will enlighten you more
and i have a picture of one of there first lorrys they bought the day they
bought it . there was a sister named kathy as well
look foreward to hearing from you soon best wishes astonian ,;;
Please post your photo, I am a kirby

Hi
Dont recall a Timothy in the family but will check my records, but believe there were a lot of Kibry's in Aston Hockley area.
I now live on the Isle of Wight and last year my eldest grandson brought his latest girlfriend to meet us, and her surname was Kirby had a long chat with her aunt but she was one of the other Kirby's but what a small world.
Hi do you know about the aston Kirby? My grandad was james kirby, my dad harold kirby born in 1921.

Hi Elly,

Deborah
My granddad was james kirby too,

Hi jackie
Just received your E mail on asking for info, on kirbys of Aston and king Edwards Road
And i have just strolled through some old threads asking about there Lorry
Firstly i will try and find time today to dig it out and send it to you or down load it
When it was in kingedwards road out side there
They come from around the Hockley area and your great Grand parents did
On the subject of king edwards they bought there big yard which they accertained
From the previous owner from a firm called Wakelins, they was a builders merchants
Whom there offices was in springfield street just around the corner from the yard
On the subject of king edwards road as well ,and the family had a big fall out
With them and huge argument where most of the older brothers went across and there
Fued in the street it was like a war zone police was called and the house windows
Was complete smashed it went on for a couple of days the argueing
But afew months later they resolved there problem.and things settled down
I do know what it was about but i will not publish on open forum
There is alot of info i have as i knew the older generations of the family
There is of course alot of younger generations of the ,kirbys knocking about
Years later whom was growing up in and around the Winson green area around
The sixtys and seventys era which i recall briefely the mention of tim he was one lf the juniors
Member of the family i do not mean he was a minor he would have been in is late twentys then
I also know quite afew of there old assocates from the years gone bye
In later years Tim, openend up is own yard and bussiness in speedwell road Hay mills
Jackie i have to cut short now but i will come back to you later in the day
As i have some important Bussiness i Have to do as i also run a bussiness
Around the corner from Timms old yard best wishes Astonian

I note the post from 2009 Re the following Kirbys.
Emma Kirby b1856 Birmingham- daughter of Joseph and Rebecca Kirby (nee Priest). Emma married Henry John Powell in 1874 Birmingham.

If any one is interested in this branch of the family I have traced them back to the Civil War.

Clarkie

I too have Kirby connections but I think they are a different branch. In 1911 census they were living in Church Lane, Aston. At that time they were William b 1868, Janet nee While b 1868, Eva b 1895, William b 1896, Lawrence b 1898, Reginald b 1900, Janet b 1901, James b 1902, Lucy b 1904 and Gladys b 1907.

Hi, not sure if any of you are still active. In any case I would love to hear from those that have connections with the Kirby family. I have traced my family line to the late 1800's and have some interesting news paper clippings. My connection is via Sydney Derek Kirby (father), Arthur Kirby (grand father) and James Kirby (great grand father).
The family are from Hurst street area of brum and were involved in fish (monger or chippy). I also have connected Eliza in the family.

Back