• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

kirby

hi pmc
yes your colin was a copper in ford street and he had to move owing to the younger ones in the family as people was talking about them
best wishes astonian ;;

hi,

i have in my tree a henry richard thomas kirby marrying a doris perks they had son norman ronald kirby b:1919-1997...is this the same kirby/perks you talk of?

i'd love to hear more about the kirbys/perks of brum

sam x

I went to harry lucas school .Had twin brothers david and derek kirby.There is a older brother john.Lived in little king strret not far from school

Hi Sam,

I have Perks in my tree with Doris marrying a Kirby. Love to hear where your connection is. Doris was my gtgrand aunt.

Mand x

HI MANDY
i have been in touch before with you
when you was looking for hinton
and you said it was adifferent hinton to mine
well looking at your thread and at the bottom of the page your intrest shows ;;
hinton ; and perks ; and i have the info ; that hinton married into my perks ;
so a long time ago you mention a hinton and the sweet shop affair at witton some where
and you asked me or should i say you told me i was different to yours
well the fact of the matter is these are the same line of my mothers where my grand mother came and the perks has to be the same because of the coincidence s your hinton and my pers
the record show clearly that the hintons married the perks which i have on record now
and i would liketo say another question a long time ago you asked if i knew of ablack book that bertha ,victoria had and it went missing
i was not aware at te time of such a thing asthe little black book she kept and two weeks some body i know mentioned to me that she did have a black book and thats also why i know our connections are the same my mothers the daughterof the hintons and they are her auntys i knew from day one what you meant and i knew from heart of souls about the relation whom died during the war and these are the sameperkis and hintondwhom would be my grand father as well
best wishes astonian;;;

hi mand,

i'll try to put it as simple as i can lol,but im just starting out on the kirby/perks side of my tree...

sarah batsford nee wincott b:1806 married joseph kirby b:1809, in tysoe.

they had child:thomas kirby b:1837 he married sarah tomkinson who had child:

henry john kirby b:1866 he married mary ricketts they had child:

henry richard thomas kirby b:1897 who married doris perks...they went on to have child norman b:1919?did they have anymore children?

did you ever hear/see pics of sarah kirby nee wincott and joseph kirby?

hope this explains it...theres also a twist in the tale...i had a quick look into doris perks and noticed some family around shropshire...

well my partner and daughter are perks...from broseley,shropshire...i am trying to research this tree also but are at a brick wall...

does any of these perks family sound familier?:william g perks b:1936,parents john r perks b:1900 and ida annie tench b:1896...i do hope so!im stuck on who john r perks parents/siblings are!???

thanks sam xx

ha ha mand i've just seen your researching parr's too!i hope their not the ones from whatcote area in the 1800's too!;O)

sam x

Hi Sam,
There were 3 other Kirby children, not sure if they are still alive or not. Norman married Millicent Price.
The Parr's I am looking at Jane Parr was Doris great grand mother born 1806 Birmingham her father was John.
I do have some certificates, if you message me your email address i'm happy to share.
Best wishes
Mand

ha it's just as i said sarah batsford nee wincott married joseph kirby...well before all that she had an illigitemate child with a william parr...matthew wincott...my ancestor...it seemed to be a close knit community in whatcote in them days lol as matthews son clark then went on to marry a parr...sam x

I think there was a relation of the Kirby's in Capilano Rd in the 70's, she brought up a child as her own, (think it was her daughters, scandal in those days) sadly he was murdered very young. Not sure if it was the same family, but rumours were the ladies family were, naughty, shall we say...

Hi WRB Is this your John R Perks?
Perks Harry aged 35 (Head),born Kenley, Shropshire occ Ordinary Agricultural Labourer
Sarah J aged 36 (Wife) born Bentall, Shropshire
Thomas aged 10 born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
William H aged 7 born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
Sarah J aged 5 born Church Stretton, Shropshire
John R aged 2 born Church Stretton,
all living Longville, Acton Scott
10 years later
PERKS, Henry aged 48 (Head) born 1863 Kenley Shropshire occ Working Farm Bailiff
Sarah Jane aged 46 (Wife) born 1865 Bentall Shropshire
Thomas (Single) aged 20 born 1891 Much Wenlock occ Waggoner On Farm
William (Single) aged 17 born 1894 Much Wenlock occ Cowman On Farm
John Richard aged 12 born 1899 Rushbury Stretton
George Robert aged 9 born 1902 Rushbury Stretton
Esther Emmly aged 7 born 1904 Rushbury Stretton
Dorothy Alice aged 3 born 1908 Much Wenlock
Address: 5 Wyke Much Wenlock Shropshire
Married 21 years.10 children,7 still alive
Tench Thomas aged 34 (Head) born East Wall, occ Farm Labourer
Lucy aged 26 (Wife) born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
Ida aged 5 born Longville, Shropshire
Elsie aged 3 born Longville, Shropshire
Thomas aged 5 Months born Much Wenlock, Shropshire
Hill Lily aged 15 Sister In Law born Much Wenlock, Shropshire occ General Domestic Servant
address given as Wyke, Bourton Much Wenlock
10 years later,Ida is working as a General Servant Domestic for the Woolbrick family at Longville,Much Wenlock. Mr John A Woolbrick is a farmer.

Hi pcm
My mom went to school with some of the Kirby family my moms 81 now, I'm seeing her today i'll ask her for there names if you want and get back you

Lowie

Re: Kirby family, Cope Street

I'm new to this site & new to tracing my ancestors. My surname is KIRBY & my mother's maiden name was MATTHEWS. I've long since lost both my parents & lost touch with all my other relatives in childhood, apart from my one brother. I'm interested in tracing ancestors & current relatives on either side of the family.

I don't know a great deal about my forbears: My father was Walter Kirby born in 1903 & he in childhood lived in Cope St, Birmingham (Ladywood?), with his father, John Howard Kirby (b1875), fishmonger; mother Emily Alice Kirby (b1875); brothers John & Thomas; & sisters Doris, Rosey & Violet. My parents married in 1929 & then lived in Handsworth. During WWII he was an RSM in the RAMC in India & Burma & afterwards mostly worked at the B'ham General Hospital.

My mother's parents were John (b1860) & Jane Matthews (Wemm) (b1867), they lived in Weaman Street in 1911 & Newton St at the time of the 1901 census. Their children were: Minnie (who emigrated to Australia), Elsie, Sidney, Claude, Harold, Edith & my mother Ivy. Jane Wemm was from Sedgley, Staffs. Her father, John (b 1836) & mother Jane (b1834) lived in Hop Yard Lane. (Can't trace them back further than that).

I've seen several references to a Kirby family in the Ladywood & Hockley area on this site (after their marriage my parents lived very close to Hockley Brook), but I don't recognise any of the names or details.

Can anyone help?

There was a kirby family in little king street hockley.Only know the siblings David and Derek twins and an elder brother John all went to Harry Lucas Schhol leaving in the 60,s

hi shadow
sorry to be briefe but i am on my way to the belfry for a car bot ;there was a dek if i remeber correctly lived in king edwards rd
its now 3 30 i have to dash but i will come back later some time because there could be a connection with the family in cope street
two lads as i recal and the father woreked for the water board and so did the one son when he got older ;
cope street was only a liuttle walk up sprimg field st lady wood and they lived behind mr woods the green crocers in king edwards rd facing there house
these people was well respected people ; the other kirbys was from hockley but they was rag and bone scrap dealers whom was nothink to do with your family by the way ; wil catch you later ; astonian ;

Re: Kirby family, Cope Street

Thanks for your response Astonian, I look forward to hearing more when you have time.

Shadow (Brian)

HI Shadow
firstly these kirbys of the ones you are hoping to be part of your tree; from hockley are not related to the big kirbys family of the hockley tree
from around hockley brook of yester years beleive me they was of the scrap metal trade and rags and woolens and incidently they came up to king edwards road
from hockley way back in the late fifties and bought out waklins builders yard whom offices was in springfield street it was a house i can recall alot of he guys whom worked for them tinker was one of the painters and deco team and ginger williams was living around in ingleby street in the back houses as the builder
and they used to have to push hand carts around the area to carry out there contracts
your kirbys was a smart dressed family and hard working the lads went to school and the dad worked for the water board as it was in those days
and the mother was a good looking lady and smartly dressed and worked hard the oldest was dek if i recall properly and a fair haired lad,s
the other kirbys family lived directly across the rd facing our house at first my mother used to make them pots of tea until they got sorted with the yard office and the rest of the family moved up even there sister barbara kirby moved up from hingestion street which was one of her yards for rags and woolens which she had at the near of hingestion street and the early kirbys lived in cope street just a block from kingedwards rd where the parents of dek ; and his fore fathers lived
and it would have been about four entrys along from your kirbys to the ones with the scrap and woolens yard there is some picturesof the old cope street
and of the kirbys first lorry bought at the kingedwards yard ladywood ; my dear old friend and best friend whom got killed on his motor bike tony
taking his girl friend home one night many years ago got killed on his bike in watery lane ;
the other part of the kirbys family whom are sibbling to the older kirbys used to be scatterd around winson green area but thats another story ;
but tony was a friend of deks ;they lived up the entry in a back house behind mr and mrs woods [ family whom ran the general grocers up on the corner of king edwards rs and monument rd next to mr clews cycles and garage on the veruy corner and the woods bought a gren grocer across the rd from your kirbys
best wishes astonian

hi sylv ;
tim kirby a nice guy was one of the youngest of the kirbys ;of the scrap metal and woolies there is a sister called barbara ;
and the kirby from ford street was a old copper at summer lane and was related to the kirbys of opld farm st
and people used to talk about him ; saying he knew way back in the old generation of the kirbys the fore fathers of the era ;
saying he must have known about certain carrying on,s around summer lane which he always maintained he knew nothink and yes he did emigrate to australia; way way back then and never came back apparently ; there was another older member of the family whom always was the fall guy for the gang and he done lots of time
he done long sentences and they looked after his family whilst doing time ;but as he got oplder in life he said enough is a enough and he was not being a fall guy
no more so they went around to his house and smasched his house windows in and fought with him in the street [ king edwards rd ladywood ]
this was in the middle of the fifty ; we lived yards from him and there knew found yard of kingedwards rd ; astonian ;;

Hi, I. New here but have Kirby's in my family tree, although not sure they are the same ones.
My grandfather (Joseph James Jones) born 1899, his mother was Alice Kirby born 1879 married Samuel Jones born 1876, they lived at ten acres which I think is Pershore St? They are on the 1901 census, but then Samuel disappears, Alice went on to marry a Williams and run a fish and chip shop and a grocers store I believe.
Alice's father was James Kirby born 1836, her mother was Eliza Lisemore.
Would appreciate any info, especially what happened to Samuel as there is very little so far.
Thanks

Back