• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Outlook has returned! Spent yesterday learning about "Mail", found it wasn't as bad as my first impression, just different.
But now I can go back to my original.

Sometimes you just wish things would be left as they were. I have had access to two designs of Outlook Mail, the one I preferred was what had been the "Hotmail" design. Much easier to use than the MS version! It's the old Hotmail version that has just been messed up/changed. Trying to herd us to their own version? What a cynic I am. Thanks for the feedback.

Things have to change because the way we all use computers is (and has) changed.

For years we all used computers on desktop PCs and laptops that generally had large screens, so the design of programs like Outlook could be made to cope with all that screen space.

Now more and more people are using programs like Outlook on smartphones and tablets, with very small screens.

It is very hard (almost impossible) to design a computer program that can run on large screens and small screens therefore we now need programs that can adapt their interface depending on how large the screen is. If it is a large screen you get the "desktop view" of the program, if it is a smartphone you get a "mobile" view of the program.

To cope with this the whole program needs to be redesigned hence the reason so many programs are changing.

<cut>It is very hard (almost impossible) to design a computer program that can run on large screens and small screens therefore we now need programs that can adapt their interface depending on how large the screen is. If it is a large screen you get the "desktop view" of the program, if it is a smartphone you get a "mobile" view of the program.

To cope with this the whole program needs to be redesigned hence the reason so many programs are changing.

The differences are more likely to be seen in internet pages than actual programs. The big Desktop operating systems generally have a smartphone counterpart that is much smaller and uses much smaller programs and Android is different enough from Linux that there's not much crossover there either. "Outlook" is confusing in that the name of the old email client is also an alternate name for the internet site that you get at your web-based email on. Microsoft has been trying to use the same look on its Office/Outlook online (internet page) and Office/Outlook the program/suite. That's probably where some of the problems come - trying to make the same, customized, look available on site and program.

Windows 10 is one year old at the end of this month when the free upgrade offer ends. I suppose everyone who wanted to upgrade will have done so by now. After a year of using it, I find that it is like earlier Windows versions I've used, it runs well 99% of the time.
I just use the bits I like and ignore the bits I don't. A big 'Anniversary Update' is due first week August and I suppose like all Windows 10 updates it can't be refused .... or maybe it can.

I suppose Microsoft may try to find a way of making some money out of us 'free upgraders'. They will have a job with me because every app I use in my laptop is a freebie apart from my antivirus.

I agree Thunderbird is excellent especially if you have a few e-mail addresses as I have. I have never used Outlook or any M/soft mail clients mainly due to the compromises on those programmes that were prevalent many years ago.
I have not used M/Soft Office preferring Office Libre (free) and for a short while on my previous desktop (XP) Open Office (also free).
I have no use for the more up to date mobile phones - I have an older version which is solely used a a phone when needed - or the smaller hand held 'tablet' type of technology. My pc work, desktop or laptop, is generally confined to home useage.

Regarding email I have one ISP email, two Gmail, and they auto forward to my Apple iCloud email where I read them. The Outlook email came with W10 and only me and Microsoft know it's address.
The predictive keyboard on this iPad I'm using to post this is brilliant, I wish I had one on my W10 laptop!

Hi All,

I am, at present, using a desktop computer using Windows Vista. It is obvious that I am shortly going to need a new computer. Can anyone advise whether to get a desktop or laptop? I live in a care home so rarely get out if that is any help in making a decision.
Also, is there any indication yet of when Windows 10 is likely to be updated to a different version?
Old Boy

Old Boy, like you I am 'knocking on a bit' (86 last week) and I have always had desk tops. lap tops are really for users who either lack space or like to go 'mobile' with their PC's. I have had Windows XP, Vista, Seven and now Windows 10, my favourite was Windows 7, but have slowly adapted to Windows 10 and made it as near as possible to W7, it certainly is faster than Windows 7 (well mine is). As Windows 10 is only a year old I should think there will not be any new version for some time. That is my opinion but what do I know?? Eric

I don't think there will be a 'new' Windows as Windows is now a work in progress and will be constantly updated; a big update is due in August after the free upgrade to 10 offer finishes.

OB, if you use your room mostly I'd say go for a desktop. Nice and tidy on a desk, no need to worry about flat batteries etc and if your eyesight is like mine you'll appreciate a bigger screen. I use a 24" screen on my main W10 PC and its a pleasure to use. I'm a nipper at 62 but my son says I'm the oldest Geek he knows... I love technology whether its computers/phones or ham radio :)

Hi Old Boy ... Good advice from Eric ... he's been there and done it.
If your Vista computer is protected by a good anti virus program it should be safe for a few years and if you are looking for a new computer or laptop, do lots of research looking at shop websites etc and eventually decide what you want.
My thoughts ....
Is your existing computer connected by cable to the router ?
Have you already got a large screen which you would want to continue using ?

If so you could purchase a tower desktop which is supplied without a screen but with keyboard and mouse.
It would come with Windows 10 pre-installed. No major upgrades are planned, only updates which download via the internet. Windows 10 comes with Microsoft's new Edge browser but Internet Explorer 11 is there although slightly hidden. Other browsers run with no problems.
A tower computer example can be seen on the link below and I have used it only as an illustration making no recommendation for the store or that particular computer.
https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...er-aspire-xc-710-desktop-pc-10141354-pdt.html

If you go for a laptop it will come with Windows 10 as mentioned above, it will connect to your router mainly by wifi but will also have an ethernet cable. One advantage would be that you could get used to Windows 10 etc on it while keeping you existing Vista computer connected. I would go for a laptop with at least a 15.6" screen and although laptops have touchpads I use a battery operated wireless mouse. The usb mouse receiver is so small you can leave it permanently plugged in.
An example can be seen on the link below and again I have used it only as an illustration making no recommendation for the store or that particular computer.
https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...us-x555la-15-6-laptop-black-10137681-pdt.html

When you first use Windows 10 with it's free Microsoft, account, use a strong password so that anyone using the computer (or laptop) has to enter the password before it can be used. Windows 10 comes with a good built-in antivirus system called Windows Defender which I would be happy to use but I presently use a paid-for antivirus because I remotely cover my young grandaughter's Windows 10 laptop.

One problem with laptops reference your present location is they can easily be stolen.

I have a desktop computer, but mostly use a laptop or iPad sitting in an armchair in front of the TV and not a cable in site. See a pic of it in a recent post here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...coming-from-redditch.22382/page-4#post-567668

oldMohawk, I remember you telling me about Internet Explorer being 'hidden' and how to find it, always liked IE, simple for geeks like me, never used Edge or Cortana (?) Did not like W10 when I bought my new Acer PC last year, but have slowly adapted it to the way I want it and I am quite happy with it now, I use the latest IE11 and my anti virus is part of my BT package (McFee). Eric

Hi Eric ... I don't know anyone who uses Cortana. Maybe someone on the forum uses it (or her).
The text in the pic below shows why I don't use Cortana and just putting that pic on screen seems to have reset all my Win 10 privacy settings to open so I have just had to go into Settings to close them all down again.
Screenshot (56).jpg

Worth noting that many laptops no longer have an optical drive (ie CD/DVD drive) and some don't even have an ethernet connector, relying solely on wireless. Also not all laptop keyboards have a numerical keypad. Other things you may or may not need are digital video output, HDMI socket, USB3 etc. And laptops don't like cups of tea or glasses of wine spilt on them (voice of experience) whereas if you're using a desktop these may only ruin the keyboard!

0ldMohawk, don't like what that says, seems to intrude into your privacy, or perhaps I'm putting the wrong interpritation on it ?? What I don't understand I do not use. Eric

WOW, people still use Internet Explorer? lol.
Lots of people use Internet Explorer, there is nothing wrong with it.
I have three browsers in my laptop...
Chrome - the one I mostly use because it suits me.
IE 11 - It is there if I want it and it works with no problems.
Edge - It came with Windows 10, and it is there if I want it.

I can have all three browsers running at the same time if I want to.

The funny thing is that I'm posting this using the Safari browser on my trusty Apple iPad !
ps. my older laptop dual boots Win 10 and Linux Ubuntu 12.04 and I use Firefox with Linux.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thank you all who have offered me advice on purchasing a new computer. I now have a better idea of what to look for when the time comes. It will not be a laptop.
Old Boy

I think most people, who, like me are not too PC wise use Internet Explorer, I have the latest 11 version and it suits me fine. As I have already said what I don't understand I do not use. Words like Firefox, Linus etc.... are all double Dutch to me, I seek simplicity not confusion. Eric

On the subject of browsers in Windows 10 here are three pics of how they look in my laptop. The BHF looks the same on each browser. I used Edge to post this .... :)

Chrome (My favourite because I'm used to it.)
1Chrome.jpg

Internet Explorer 11. (I had imported Chrome favourites.)
2InternetExplorer11.jpg

Edge. (I had imported Chrome favourites. Edge seemed slightly faster than IE.)
3Edge.jpg

Obviously Microsoft would like us to use Edge but why should we when we are already familiar with IE or Chrome etc.

BT (of all people) have produced a good Video and picture steps (under the video) showing some basic instructions on how to use the new EDGE browser and shows how to import favourites from IE and other browsers. It also shows how to set Edge to use Google search rather than Bing.
https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/in...ed-with-the-windows-10-browser-11363994684529

Last edited:
Some programmes will only run on IE and some on Chrome. I use both depending on what I am doing.
Janice

I read somewhere that the scammers are more likely to target Microsoft & Google users. I don`t know if there`s any truth in that. Personally i use Windows 7 on my laptop (yes i know it`s Microsoft) & Firefox for my browser....much prefer it to IE, & much prefer a laptop to a desktop pc, but as someone said, it`s just down to personal choice. I`ve been running a cheap Advent ( Currys own make ) for several years without any problems.

Don't know about programs, but the oldmaps website always works on IE, but only sometimes on chrome. This has only occurred within about the last year. Before was fine on both . I have contacted the Oldmaps team and "been assured" that they have not altered it in any way that would have that effect

On the subject of browsers I've just given the Windows 10 Edge browser a real workout after importing my 100 bookmarks from Chrome and it ran every website I tried. It looks more like Chrome than like Internet Explorer. I had set the 'Search' to use Google.

Microsoft must have started allowing extensions on Edge because a 'pop-up' just appeared offering me Adblock Plus. I will have to check this because I had read that extensions were not being added until the August update.
ps. I checked the offered extension and it was only for 'Windows 10 Insiders' until after August. I'm not an 'insider'.

Last edited:
My wife a few months back bought herself a laptop with W10 installed. Well, the other day she had a 'windows 10 update ready to be installed' message come up, so she left it to me to sort out. I clicked the button to install it thinking it would be one of those monthly updates that we sometimes have. Well, it took 3/4 of an hour to download and another 1/2 hour to install. I thought it may have been the major update they were on about, but as I understand, it is not due yet, or is it. The end result is, I cannot see any difference to Win 10, so what would it be? Any ideas.
Terry

Hi Terry - It could be that the laptop your wife bought had not got the November 2015 upgrade mentioned in posts#353 and 357. It was a major upgrade and took an hour or so to download and install.

Back