• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bordesley Park Road

hello berniew can,t quite work this one out ,im guessing that this is the end of miles st,looking across bordesley pk rd to coventry rd, is that right. mhe

The Retreat Bordesley Park Road  1953.jpgFound a pic titled the retreat Bordesley Park Road whilst looking for a =nother retreat can't place this

image.jpg
That me at the front third from right. Back row at the back third from left Elizabeth Ross
cant remember anyone else.

View attachment 80640
I'm sure most of these images are off this forum so sorry to whoever posted them originally

I was born (in 1963) on the opposite side of Bordesley Park Road, at No.44, and then moved to Yardley in the early 70s. I always remember going to a shop a few doors away, as well as the out door of the Horse & Jockey pub. I also recall another shop that was located somewhere near the Bridge. Spent my early school days going to Dixon Road. I also remember peering into Macauleys toy shop (not sure of the spelling) just around the corner on the Cov. I moved out of Birmingham six years ago but still come back to visit my dear old mum who still lives in the area (just off Watery Lane in 'Bordesley Village').

Hi michaelg63 welcome to the forum, is this the other shop you refer to on the right it was a newsagents/sweetshop etc. you can see the shadow of the bridge. MIchael H

Thanks for replying. Yes, that was probably it as I do recall getting sweets there. I have very dim and distant memories of the proprietor being a bald gentleman, or is it just my memory playing tricks on me? Walking around there now, it's hard to envisage what it used to be like. The people I knew and remember are now long gone. Next time I'm visiting mum I'll find some photos she still has of our time there.

P.S. Can't remember the ice cream parlour though.

. I also remember peering into Macauleys toy shop (not sure of the spelling) just around the corner on the Cov.

Hi There.

McAuleys sold cycles not toys. I bought my first bike from there'

Old Boy

Have to disagree with you there old boy it certainly did sell cycles but also lots of different toys, airfix models, toy soldiers, all sorts. Michael.

Hi Michael,

OK. But I only remember the bikes. Mind you I do not remember much at all these days. All the best.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Thanks for replying. Yes, that was probably it as I do recall getting sweets there. I have very dim and distant memories of the proprietor being a bald gentleman, or is it just my memory playing tricks on me? Walking around there now, it's hard to envisage what it used to be like. The people I knew and remember are now long gone. Next time I'm visiting mum I'll find some photos she still has of our time there.

P.S. Can't remember the ice cream parlour though.

Hi Michael, I can remember buying a scoop of ice cream in a cup of lemonade, lovely stuff, Can't really remember any one who worked there,I was from up the hill by carrington rd and we had closer shops. would love to see any old pics that your mom has, all the best Michael.

Hi all I would like to bring together these pics I have of Bordesley Park Road,on one thread,From Arthur st to Carrington rd, From Carrington rd to Bolton rd, under the Bridge and Past the Horse and Jockey to the cov rd.bordesley park road 1,.jpgbordesley park road 2,.jpgbordesley park road 3,.jpgbordesley park road 4, miles st on right.jpgbordesley park road 5, miles st.JPG

I don't remember the area from 40's 50's and 60's as I moved into Bolton Road in 1973 when I was 2 years old, after it been redeveloped, I went to Dixon Road school (we called it the old building at the time and it had a reputation of being haunted, there were so many myths and stories one of boy being hung accidentally, never knew if this was legend or a load of ole rubbish but it did the rounds when I was a kid) Dixon Road closed down in 1979/80 all children moved over to the new school, The new Regents Park Primary School which was built in 1975 and opened in 1976 (from the old maps I have seen I think this is were Carrington Road would have been) I remember the No28 bus coming up and down Bolton Road for a time, then the service changed route due to the Small Heath highway being built and stopped going into the city centre completely around 1982.

Bordesley Park Road ends under the railway bridge and the sharp left under the bridge became part of Bolton Road in 1972 which follows the rail track up the road until the junction with Arthur Street Bus Dep and carries on a bit to Herbert Road. The Dixon Road School play ground at the bottom of Cooksey Road where it joins Bolton Road became part of Sandfields Avenue which is a cul de sac, plus parts of it backs onto Bolton Road and Gisborn Close (which would have been Bordesley Park Road and Carrington Road)

Dixon Road was cut short as it became part of the school and nursery grounds, and part of Sara Park next to St Aidan's church. Sara Park path way and grounds leading out to the junction on Herbert Road and Regent's Park Road is where Butler Street would have been, there is now no sign of either Carrington Road, Butler Street, Butler Street South ever existed in the area. Arthur Street now ends at the gates of Regents Park Primary School not far from Pritchett Tower and Sara Park, and the other end is now Camelot Way which would have been part of Arthur Street before the redevelopment in the early 70's, Cooksey Road is cut into sections, from Dixon Road it became Amis Gardens a cul de sac, which leads onto Vann Close not far from Holy Trinity School off Oakley Road backing onto Bolton Road.

I can also tell you that the Horse and Jockey closed in late 1982 and was demolished around the end of 1983 start of 1984, I was 12 at the time and remember it being pulled down to make way for the Small Heath bypass, on that site now is a car dealership, the slip is the exact entrance to Miles Street which curves into what was Lawden Road which is now part of the bypass only a few yards of Lawden Road exist which is by the arches to the entrance of the canal.

The Plume of Feathers closed late 1984 and was demolished in 1985 for the same reasons as above, The Lodge on the corner of Bordesley Park Road and Coventry Road was demolished in 1987 after the Watering Hole opened in late 1986 which is now the Macdonalds just off Bordesley Circus Coventry Road junction (Kingston Hill) The Dolphin was pulled down in 1988 to widen Watery Lane and complete Bordesley Circus Island which is now Dolphin House and Dunelm. The Clements Arms is still there but is now abandoned and derelict probably waiting to be pulled down.

Hope you understand my mad ramblings here, I like reading your stories of the area its very interesting, I wished I could have seen the old houses from the earlier era before the 1970s.

That was a very interesting post, I attended Dixon rd school in the 1950s but hadn't heard the story of the boy being hung. I left Birmingham in 1972 to join the RAF and have never lived there again.

I lived up the yard, under the rail lines, opposite this pub but cant remember the name of it? We then moved, not far, to Watery Lane.

hi folks..hoping to have quite a few new photos of BPR by next week...

lyn

phil providing there are no double ups there should be 17 photos dated between 1953 and 1976...should have them next tuesday..

lyn

Back