• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor Lane by Witton Cemetery

Richard do you remember a gentleman who lived in the cottages can't bring to mind his name but he kept a horse in his long back garden. Two of my dads relatives lived opposite the cemetary entrance and I do have photo's omewher of them by the canal at the back of their garden Their names were Jim and Harriet. They lived in either the last or last but one next to the Diggers [Rest and be thankful] Bye. Jean.

My wife grew up in Moor Lane in cottages behind the shop opposite the main entrance to Witton cemetery.
The cottages were demolished when the motorway was constructed in the late 60's.
Does anyone have any photos of the shop or cottages?

Richard how long wife live there, I worked with a couple of lads name of Baratt in the 1960s

I remember the Houses Richard very well and the Shop also the PUB in my hey days.
I lived across the Cemetery in The Ridgeway

I found the photo's I was looking for of my dads cousins Jim and Harriet who lived opposite the cemetery gates and by the Diggers pub. They are taken in their back garden. Jean.

Hiya Alf. Its not a picture of the shops or Cottages. "Where were they incidently" got a picture of Witton Hotel. I used to walk that way a lot to visit my Granddad in Brookvale road, and mess about in the old refuse collection yard back in the 60s? There used to be a shop on the end of that row of Cottages, by the pedestrian bridge its been converted back to a house for quite a few years now. View attachment 45111
Richard how long wife live there, I worked with a couple of lads name of Baratt in the 1960s

Hiya Alf. Its not a picture of the shops or Cottages. "Where were they incidently" got a picture of Witton Hotel. I used to walk that way a lot to visit my Granddad in Brookvale road, and mess about in the old refuse collection yard back in the 60s? There used to be a shop on the end of that row of Cottages, by the pedestrian bridge its been converted back to a house for quite a few years now. View attachment 45111

Reg that Hotel in Sutton Coldfield, passed it today Dave

I was on the 11 bus in the 60's and remember asking the conductor to shout out 'Moor Lane' at the stop when we got near it, as I was with a delegation of Japanese tourists and showing them around and chatting away. Anyway I managed to notice the area myself and got up as we approached the stop and the tourists all followed, as we were getting off the conductor shouted 'Moor Lane!!!!' to which the group of Japanese tourists started to unfurl their umbrellas!!!!!!!!

Hi Kevkonk
what were your scary stories about in Moor Lane ? --many years ago about 1957 my wife and her cousin were walking along the lane following an old man walking his dog (little fat man with bloodshot eyes ) they wanted to walk faster so rather than pass him on that side they crossed the road and after a few yards he also crossed the road which worried them and they kept looking back to see what he was up to, after another few yards they turned round again and he and his dog had dissapeared .They could not believe it and after a couple of minutes decided to go back and see where he had gone ,but there was nowhere for him to go to and to this day they both remember him and swear he just dissapeared --who was he supposed to be ?

Yes, you're right Dave. I was reading some text from a book, regarding Witton Cemetery with the picture of New Hall Hotel above it. Thinking it was the old Witton Hotel I was obviously Wrong! the text for that Hotel was on the previous page. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Reg.
Reg that Hotel in Sutton Coldfield, passed it today Dave

Just read your post, Joskin. A few years ago now, my wife was walking to the Cemetery via Moor Lane. She had only gotten as far as the playing field which I'm sure you know is on the other side of the road. She was walking along the Cemetery wall and she past an elderly gentleman, feeling a bit nervous she looked back just seconds after passing him. He too had dissapeared, she said there was no!! way this elderly man could have scaled that wall and he didn't have time to cross the road because as I say, "she looked back just seconds after he'd passed her"

The one about the taxi driver who was bringing a young lady home from town in the 70's and when he got to Moor Lane he watched her vanish in his rear view mirror, covered by press at the time, I think. I'am sure the locals at the Sailors Return would know more.......

Well that made me clear up my photo files, I hope this is The Safe Harbour , or The Diggers or even the Sailor Rest. We didn't go in but it is in good shape from the outside, the rest of Moor Lane is a bit of a mess.

Richard do you remember a gentleman who lived in the cottages can't bring to mind his name but he kept a horse in his long back garden. Two of my dads relatives lived opposite the cemetary entrance and I do have photo's omewher of them by the canal at the back of their garden Their names were Jim and Harriet. They lived in either the last or last but one next to the Diggers [Rest and be thankful] Bye. Jean.

Ernie Worsey he had two horses and some pigs.

Oh my goodness I knew him too. Used to visit him with uncle Fred who also kept pigs. I remember the one horse who would do anything for Ernie. Have you any photo's by any chance please magquip?. Jean.

Sorry Jim and Harriet Groves can you contact me by private message.

Last edited by a moderator:

My nan lived in one of the cottages called Florence Hudman married to Walter, their children Kathy, Jessie, Winnie, Bessie, Walter and Roger. my father Walter known as Wally knew Jim and Harriet Groves. Also the first cottage on the corner was my fathers uncle who was called Chriss Goodman. and prior to him living their my fathers grandparents lived in the cottage, which I have photos. My father is friends with Mr Maurice Wells who lived on the grounds of the Lucas ground fields, which his parents lived in the bungalow.

Back