• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Thanks Carolina, are they all Raddlebarn Road and was it a district? Park Hill is in Moseley, a chap I used to work with told me it ay arf posh there.

Nico where is Park Hill

Caroline,

Park Hill runs from Alcester Rd to Edgbaston Rd, Moseley. This postcard shows little of the architecture as the houses are obscured by trees. Sadly some of the houses have now been converted to apartments whilst others have been demolished so new build apartment blocks could be erected.

Attachments

• Moseley Park Hill PC.jpg
    Moseley Park Hill PC.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 60
You could have parked our whole house in the hall.
A lovely and substantial residence but you have got to like gardening...hmmm..cleaning and polishing. Or pay someone to do the same.

Rupert

I would think most of the residents of Park Hill employed a gardener, maid and cleaner and that would just be the smaller houses. Even the old mother & baby home from the 50's & 60's is an apartment building now. Most of the older properties exchange hands at around £500,000 and for Moseley these days that's a lot.

I came from the old M&B home. Last time we went to have a look it was a home for alcoholics. About 9 years ago. The stone lions were still on it then. I managed to speak to a lady that ran a historical society for that aea including Chantry Road and its private park. St Anne's is a lovely church. My parents' friends lived in half of one of those huge houses, only becming friends ironically years later. Spookily the friends lived in the house next door or technically next door but one, as it was divided, to my BF and BM. The friends' house was demolished and flats built named the husband for his work for the community. Their half of the divided house where my BM and BF lived was divided in to five substantial flats in the 50's. The friend told us that when THEY lived in their house they eventually realised they had 2nd floor but no access to it, so they poked around and put in a staircase. The original staircase was in the other half of the house. They kept renumbering the houses too but we got there in the end. Thank you for the photos. Nico

We were also told that there used to be a farm in Park Hill in the 50's accessed up a little lane between the big houses. A lady who kept bees too. The late Jim Hyland from Virtual Brum told me that Raddlebarn meant the Red Barn part of a huge estate from the year dot, probably Selly Oak. He also told me that the canal towards Edgbaston, was built to keep the plebs from the posh folk but when I said this to a reident they poo poohed it?

Rupert

I would think most of the residents of Park Hill employed a gardener, maid and cleaner and that would just be the smaller houses. Even the old mother & baby home from the 50's & 60's is an apartment building now. Most of the older properties exchange hands at around £500,000 and for Moseley these days that's a lot.
Check this one out in nearby Chantry Road, absolutely stunning Architecture...

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/30-chantry-road/moseley/birmingham/b13-8dh/20665111

Check this one out in nearby Chantry Road, absolutely stunning Architecture...

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/30-chantry-road/moseley/birmingham/b13-8dh/20665111
Yes Brumgum we will by one shall we. My BF and BM's flat at the rear was like your picture I am not sure of the garden dimensions but the architecture is the same, it's still there.
We parked in Chantry Road it is like stepping back in time, the private park is on one side and you can't see in to it because of the high trees. The huge trees shaded us and the private gardens were full of magnolias lilac and wistirias being late spring early summer. We stopped to watch a little girl doing her piano practice in one of the massive houses, on Park Hill, the windows were bowed and had rounded tops and were unusually shaped. My BM had a residents' key when she lived there. Her house was owned by an old lady who lived in it also in one of the flats with her son, they had no 'facilities' she said and had to 'slop out'. Of the 3 other lots of residents there was a businessman possibly a trainee doctor, a young an Irish lady, and a lady of the night. There was a retired Colonel in the vicinity and a funeral director and a Greek lady. From the Chantry Road History group I was given part of a child's project which listed the occupations when the houses were first built. They were all men with small businesses with their families, they were all detached and houses were then added in between. I remember one was the MD of a boiler company. My BM worked at one time in a posh hand made chocolatier shop akin to an upmarket Thorntons. She says Moseley was known as the village and had an atmosphere to match. I know there was a dance hall which may be still there. She would take pity on the very young unmarried mums, admire their babies while they still had them and stop and chat and give them the price of a cup if tea. She did not know that she would be in the same boat. How times change.:crushed:

Would anyone happen to have any pictures of Mona Road Small Heath, or Grove Road Kings Heath by any chance please ?

Uncle Albert,

Here is one of Grove Rd Kings Heath it's a little early and dated 1900, going by the bend in the road I would imagine it's roughly where the flats are now. I will see if I have any of Mona Rd that I can post.

Attachments

• Kings Heath Grove Rd 1900.JPG
    Kings Heath Grove Rd 1900.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 78
I think this is a view going toward Brandwood End.On the other side of the road to Colmore Rd School
Regards
JH

I would find it hard to say which end of the road we are looking at, but it`s a great old picture, and I`m very grateful to you for digging it out for me Phil.
My granddad lived in Grove yard when I was very young, and he also lived at Mona Road before that.
My dad went to Colmore Road school. I`ve got a feeling that my grandparent`s house was number 41. Stands a chance that the flats now occupy that stretch.
Many thanks again for posting. I`ve thoroughly enjoyed your "journeys" on this thread by the way. Colossal effort I must say.:encouragement:

St Mary's School Bristol/ Lodge Hill Road Selly Oak 1910. (My daughter went here in the early 1970s but it was a more modern building)

Selly Oak St Marys School 1910.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all these pictures, so good to be able to remember past times. Any one have any pictures of Ryland Street, Ladywood from past times?

i have spent sometime lately on this site called Historypin. mikejee posted the link three years ago and over this time the site has many more photos. It is certainly an amazing site with plenty of photos of Birmingham I have never seen before. You can find the site here. You can type in many locations. However, if you want to look at Birmingham and areas you can enter Birmingham,UK. https://www.historypin.com/

i have spent sometime lately on this site called Historypin. mikejee posted the link three years ago and over this time the site has many more photos. It is certainly an amazing site with plenty of photos of Birmingham I have never seen before. You can find the site here. You can type in many locations. However, if you want to look at Birmingham and areas you can enter Birmingham,UK. https://www.historypin.com/
Thanks for that Jenny, I will follow this up and get the app for my ipad

Some good pictures on this site https://epapers.bham.ac.uk/chrysalis.html Click on the teardrop thingies and a couple more clicks to go full screen. Or scroll down for a list of pictures. Apologies if it has been posted before. I believe they are Phylis Nicklin pics but unsure if they have been shown before.

Terry

Back