• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

Of course,another reason it is not pre '39 is because of the waste land at the top of Theodore Street.It was of course a bomb-site,that was the only reason for clear land prior to the re-development of the '60's.There was many such sites in the Summer Lane and surrounding streets in the '50's..................Mal.

The reason I believe the photograph was taken in the '50's is because of the bus.It appears to be,judging by it's livery,a bus owned by Midland Red.It is a rear entrance bus,as far as I recall,all pre-war Midland Red double-deckers were FEDD's (front entrance double deckers).Not 100% sure on that,but I think I'm correct..................Mal.

mal of course you are right thinking about it now..the station is set back off the road...thanks for confirming the probable date of the photo...everything looks so very different now

lyn

Yeah, I was looking the wrong way. You might have a hard time realising that the 'through entries' on the left led to rows of back to backs in courts behind. A whole world on it's own behind this frontage. My folk had it tough.

just going back to topsys pic on post 410 does anyone know what that large post was used for on the right of the pic..

lyn

just going back to topsys pic on post 410 does anyone know what that large post was used for on the right of the pic..

lyn

That is a Bollard and it's there to prevent the drivers of long vehicles turning left out of the side road and squashing old ladies with prams!

we are doing well today for summer lane pics...just been sent this one and its a cracker..

i can see the bulls head on the corner of summer lane and new summer st...on the other corner is the original unity club and the pub further down by the esso sign would be the royal george..no date on this but as we can also see the post office tower which was completed in 1965 its safe to say it was taken after then..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there Astoness, forgive me if post not in the right place but have only just found out that you have been poorly. I was so pleased to see your post 8 minutes ago. !!! It`s good to know that you have returned and are fit enough to supply us with the most wonderful photos. Thank you and take care.

Hello there Astoness, forgive me if post not in the right place but have only just found out that you have been poorly. I was so pleased to see your post 8 minutes ago. !!! It`s good to know that you have returned and are fit enough to supply us with the most wonderful photos. Thank you and take care.

hi crimble i havnt been poorly as such...had bit of a virus and not really had a good year with the loss of my dear dad and his sister and an old neighbour from the old end all the the space of a few weeks but im doing ok..thanks everso much for your concern...so pleased that you are enjoying the photos...ps i wonder if you are thinking of astonian (alan) i do know that he has been pooly of late..

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you all for the location of my pic. I was looking for the Police Station and didnt give it a thought about it laying back from the Road. The times our Mom must have wheeled and walked me up and down there as a child.
Great pic Lyn #423

and thanks for your piccie as well topsy as we really do need more of summer lane...same here never gave a thought to the station lying back..unless someone can get me my bearings on these old photos i am totally lost lol

lyn

Lyn, your pic is probably just before 1965 because the PO Tower does not look complete, no BT logo and some of the aerials are not yet installed (worked for BT so notice these details). Eric

Lyn, your pic is probably just before 1965 because the PO Tower does not look complete, no BT logo and some of the aerials are not yet installed (worked for BT so notice these details). Eric
Might have been later than this as this 1966 shot of the GPO Tower shows it wasn't complete at this date. I don't remember the Tower having a logo on it until BT came into existence relatively not that long ago. I still call it the GPO Tower sometimes, i don't recall it having a GPO logo?...

https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/92555039

BT started 1980..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group

thanks for the info eric..

cracking pic carol..would love to know its exact location..keep em coming folks..

Of course brumgum it was still PO Telephones, It was not BT until the 80's, my mistake (I was with them from 1956 till 1987), although the tower still has an unfinished look to me, I could be wrong, Eric

Of course brumgum it was still PO Telephones, It was not BT until the 80's, my mistake (I was with them from 1956 till 1987), although the tower still has an unfinished look to me, I could be wrong, Eric

Yes, it seemed to acquire a lot more antennas and dishes as time went on i think.

Hi Rupert,
I certainly won't have a hard time realising about the back courts,I was there !................Mal

glad you like it lynne..funny how even though there were so many pubs down the lane folk still had their favourite...my nans was the geach..

We lived next door to the Rose and Crown in Hospital St. but dad never went in there, he preferred the Bull.

We lived next door to the Rose and Crown in Hospital St. but dad never went in there, he preferred the Bull.

with so many pubs around in those days lynne its a wonder the men ever managed to get home..ive read that it was not uncommon for wifes to go storming into the pub and slap hubbys dinner on the bar..maybe in some cases even over their heads lol

Seeing the picture of the Bulls Head with the Unity on the other corner, can anyone remember the fire at the Unity? It was in the mid to late 40s and was quite a big blaze.
Dave.

Do you know any of the Geach Licensees names during the 1930s, about 1933/4 in particular - a long shot I know

The online electoral Roll (only some years online) lists the occupants of the Geach Arms as:
1930 Edward Corr
1935 Harry & Lily Pyatt
1939 Ernest & Nellie Farbrother

Thank you mikejee. Do you know if 217 Summer Lane was the address of the Geach?

it was indeed no 217 bosca

also according to kellys directory in 1933 the landlord was a david higgs..hope this is of help.

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you so much Lyn, quite a jigsaw puzzle this. My late father's then wife died at this address in August 1934, aged 37. On the death cert his occupation was given as licensed victualler and 217 was his place of residence. I remember him telling me he was a pub manager in Birmingham, his name was Alexander McIntyre Rorison (a Scot obviously).

Back