• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

Tonko, All I can remember at the location you indicate in the 50 & 60's was Ma Greens brick crushing plant where you could take lorry loads of bricks to be crushed and used as hard core for new road works. Old Ma Green used to pay the drivers for the loads depending on the quality and size of the load never a great deal but it was always enough to pay for breakfast and the bonus was you didn't have to pay tipping fees even if they were only about ten bob in those days. Though the thing is I can't remember any chimney stack or any reason for there being one.

rang me mom she dont know anything about the tenner she owes me .but she did say it was a brickworks many moons ago. she couldnt remember the fire but she did ask if it was me who started it.
couldnt shut her up then .she mentioned that the house's we lived in which were directly opposite the police and fire station were owned by a company called barnes and hale my dad was working for them when they moved in previous to that the house's were occupied by the fire crews and there familys before they moved into flats at the back of the fire station there was also a reclaim yard on there in the eighties i went there once to by some hand made tiles.as for the chimney stack i think it came down in the 80's!

There was a firm that did cellulose reclaiming on the trading estate, Andrews Millward & Co .Perhaps they could have been mistaken for a paint factory
I also remember there was a firm that had the top section of a tram has an office up there.

Nick

the paint factory went in the 70's maybe it was a cellulose reclaimer but in good old brummie terms it was a paint factory lol seems i will just only have the memory of my dad waking me up to tell me it was on fire and seeing a large orange glow from my bedroom window !

tonko,

These two maps show the area that you indicate, the first one from 1915 shows that the area was indeed a brick quarry and works and there was indeed chimney stacks on the site. The second map from 1969 shows that two stacks at that time were still standing. It's strange but at that time I entered that estate at least twice a week until the brick crushing plant closed and I never noticed either one.

Attachments

• bordesley green 3.JPG
    bordesley green 3.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Bordesley Green 2.JPG
    Bordesley Green 2.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 41
ha ha.. thanks i only remember the one stack which was there up to around the mid to late 80's i think !

I lived in Repton Road from 1958-1964 and can remember a number of the shops around the St. Paul's area. Gardener's was our favourite sweet shop on our way home from school and, strangely enough, is the one remaining shop under its original name, still selling sweets in large bottles! To the left of Gardener's was Payne's shoe repairers and, next door to the old Technical college, was Joseph Harris Dry Cleaners and an opticians. To the right of Gardener's was a butchers called Wilsons and, to the right of that, next door to the Broadway Pub (now Mc Donald's), was Haynes the Greengrocers. On the opposite side of the road was a bakery, (facing down Bordsesley Green East), which sold delicious cream cakes. Almost opposite Gardener's was Coopers, the shoe shop. St Paul's church was built in, or very near 1966, the steeple costing the princely sum of £10K! Before that, the church was in the single storey building which faces out on to Finnemore Road and is now a nursery.

I'm trying to figure out where on Bordesley Green is that,Caroline...I wonder if that's the Atlas pub in the far right hand corner.

The rounded building is on the corner of Cherrywood Road Derek its the Victoria Street Bordesley Green Road crossroads nice pic Carol

Many thanks Bernie..got me bearings now,and thanks for the pics of Bordesley Green,so many happy memories of once living around there.

My mother used to take us to Coopers shoe shop at the Broadway to be measured up for new shoes,I often wondered how she could ever afford it.

I was born in Little Browich Road Whichford Grove 1952 and went to alson road school and then to Bordesley Green girls

My sister went to the senior school she went to Wyndcliffe before her name is Christine Wright I wthe two schools used to have a dance organised when you were leaving remember your head mistress , strange looking woman , wore a black cape every time I saw herent to Alston Road senior school

I think she started in 1964 or 5 trying to remember some of her mates names Pamela Jeynes Hanna whitlock Edwina Harvey Edwina 's parents owned a sweet shop in green Lane I'm sure about the Christian names but hazy about surnames

Back