• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Small Heath Streets

St Andrews Road 2.jpgI've just found this photo in February's Brummagem magazine. I lived in Watery Lane in the 60's and I can't remember this part at all. Does anyone know the answer?

St Andrews 1957.jpgAnother one of St Andrews Road. I hope it's alright to use the Brummegem magazine is it?

Attachments

• St Andrews 1957.jpg
    St Andrews 1957.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 70
hi jojo no probs at all posting photos from carls brummagem mag as he is quite happy to share whatever photos he has...the only thing carl asks is if we post any from his birmingham lives archives site that we just put courtesy of carl chinn...here is a link to that site which is brilliant..

https://lives.bgfl.org/carlchinn/search.cfm?mr=

lyn

Thanks Nick, I was thinking that they must have been demolished by the time that I got there, but now I'm thinking I might never have gone that far down. I turned off a road on the left hand side to take my kids to nursery. I have an idea that Haden's Kettles or Cannings was down there. If you knew that butchers Nick, is there any chance that you know of the bicycle hire shop at no. 216 Watery Lane, on the corner of Keeley Street? That was my grandfathers shop and I'm trying to find some details of it.

. If you knew that butchers Nick, is there any chance that you know of the bicycle hire shop at no. 216 Watery Lane, on the corner of Keeley Street? That was my grandfathers shop and I'm trying to find some details of it.

Sorry, I can't help you with info about you Grandfathers shop, I had a schoolfriend that lived in Watery lane, and it was only when I visited him that I went there,
Nick

Terry
It was not built when thwe c1889 large scale maps were made, so you cannot go to that. The c1970 1:2500 map from the Old maps site does show the names of terraces etc that were extant then, but is difficult to read. My experience of obtaining a bought download from them is that you get soem better resolution, but not a great deal. the original before scanning must have been perfectly legible, but they don't send out a very good scan. I attach a copy of it. However the electoral rolls and directories and what you can see on the 1970 map enable us to insert some of the terraces etc. I have written in those that I can determine on a scanned alan godfrey map of 1901. Of those named, Morrison place and St Andrews both consist of two rows, and the remainder just one row. Hope that is useful

map_c_1970_tilton_rd.jpg

map_c_1901_tilton_rd_showing_terraces.jpg

Hello Mike

Yes thank you that does help. I take it others such as Tintern, Stanley are on the other side of the road. During WW1 some Tilton road residents worked at Pugh's factory on war work. This would no doubt be situated on the corner of Tilton Road/Cattell Road.

regards

Terry

Ok Nick. Thanks

I can always remember a factory on the Cattell Road corner. I did not realise there was one past the school.

What did Pugh's manufacture?

Terry

I don't know what they made in wartime, but their main thing was lawnmowers, it was 'ATCO' in later years.
The factory near Cattell Rd was Williams they made spanners.

Nick

i remember actos i worked there on the big capstan machines we had great times there my brother also warked there up untill he joined the army in 1965
we lived in hawk street josie

I remember Williams,I've got one of their spanners.
My older Brother worked at Williams in the seventies, used to meet him outside the factory gate on Saturdays and go and watch Trevor Francis from the Tilton Road End. The wall of the factory formed the back of the stand and there were windows with iron bars and I'm pretty sure some of the workers could see a good part of the pitch from this stand point.Happy Days!:biggrin:

Think you can see the factory on one of these shots....
https://carlsbrumblog.blogspot.co.uk/2008_12_01_archive.html

Hi

I lived in Tilton Road in the late 60's, and I am sure that anyone else who lived there
will not have forgotten the thump from Williams' drop hammer!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi,
My mother was born 3 back 57 Hawkes St. in 1905. Has anyone got a map showing that area please or maybe any photos?

Yours,
Dave Lee

Dave
Below is large scale map of Hawkes st c 1889. the smaller scale c1916 map is virtually the same in the relevent area. Am not sure which is 3 back 57, but have marked 57 and 59

map_c_1889_Hawkes_St_showing_59_and_67.jpg

miuk1914a_084443-02226.jpg Screenshot_2016-04-03-22-04-45-01.jpeg Screenshot_2016-04-06-12-26-42_PerfectlyClearcrop_PerfectlyClear.jpg Hi all ☺ I'm a newbie so please be nice!miuk1914a_084443-02226.jpg Screenshot_2016-04-03-22-04-45-01.jpeg Screenshot_2016-04-06-12-26-42_PerfectlyClearcrop_PerfectlyClear.jpg

Now I realise I'm a bit late to the table here as Bandito's post starts way back in 2009 but on the subject of house numbers for St Andrews Road -
I've recently started researching the family tree and my Great Great Grandparents George and Caroline Fulwell and Great great uncles Harry, George, Albert, Joseph, Thomas, William Great grandfather John Fulwell (there are more but I won't go on) all listed at 5 Whitby place (or terrace ) St Andrews Road in the 1911 census and other documents I have and in the 1901 census the address is 164 St Andrew's rd 18 bk 30. Different houses both in St Andrews Road I presume? 1891 census they are at Adam St.
Will attempt to upload them. .

Welcome to the forum tmb73. Hopefully someone on here will be able to tell you whether the addresses in St Andrews Rd are different (or wonder if they're the same house but were re-numbered at some point?). Enjoy the forum. Viv.

The naming of this court seems rather variable.In the 1920 census it can be seen that Whitby place is between nos 61 & 53 St andrews Road. From 1945 these houses are described as "Back 51". To make it even more confusing (and I think this one must be a mistake on the part of the ordnance survey) it is labelled on the c1950 map as Albert Grove, as can be seen on the map below.

map_c_1950_showing_top_half_of_St_Andrews_Road.jpg

Sorry. should add that, on the other side of the road a little nearer Watery lane, can be seen 18 back 30, in what is marked court No 1, by the side of the entry behing no 30 on the actual road.

Back