• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Hill

thanks bernie and carol the missing 2 buildings are lower numbers than that...they are in the 20s but great pics

lyn

There is no Dr Levi Lines listed in the Kellys for 1900 or 1903. There is, however a William Henry Line M.D. surgeon at no 144 hockley hill. If this is it then I think the rectory occupied two plots, and so it is the house next door to the rectory going towards town.

right here goes...this is the pic that bernie posted...

from left to right evans and adlard no 17..18 and 19 harry smith ironmongers which suggests to me that he also owned the middle property in this pic it was then demolished and a new one built which certainly belongs to the smith family even now...

Hockley%20Hill%20shops%201900 corner with key hill.jpg

HOCKLEY HILL APRIL 2013 028.JPGpic taken today minus the middle building in the previous pic...as you can see the smith family now own all 3 properties

HOCKLEY HILL APRIL 2013 019.JPGnow i must apologise for the poor quality of these next 3 pics but these are the best of the bunch i took...never easy taking pics of pics under glass...this is the one that the lady in the shop bought out of the back for me to look at..notice the lady standing outside number 18..i wonder if that was mrs smith...

and now mr harry smith himself...again hard to photograph as these pics were high on the wall inside the shop

HOCKLEY HILL APRIL 2013 008.JPGHOCKLEY HILL APRIL 2013 007.JPG

Last edited:
Hockley%20Hillhigh%20pavements near to key hill corner.jpgthis pic show the high pavement at number 24 hockley hill which was george mascall tailor..there is no number 20 listed so we are only missing a pic of numbers 21 and 22 which is where the gem building now stands and hockley hill post office is next to that at nos 23 to 27 and so we now know that the post office stands where these buildings once were

Last edited:
HOCKLEY HILL APRIL 2013 033.JPGjust for completness hockley hill post office that now stands where the high pavement pic was taken and i would just like to say thank you to mike because without the maps he supplies it would be much harder to work these things out..

Thanks Lyn - what a detective!! For some reason I always thought that High Pavement was much lower down, in the dip before Soho Hill started.

thanks carol and judy i really enjoy doing this sort of research with a little help from my friends especially for members who no longer live in brum..it is strange though how we can look at a pic and think its a bit further down or up from where it really was..ive done that myself many times...forgot to say that the little alley to the left of the high pavement pic was the entrance to court no 1

lyn

Last edited:
hi carol ive got that one from some time back..it really is wonderful..i think at the time it was decided that the smoke you see coming from the chimney in the distance was most likely from the soho manufactory...thanks for posting it i would love that framed and hanging on my wall lol

lyn

Lynn there is a picture on the Hockley thread showing a church by a Co-op.

sorry carol i missed this post..well st georges church was near the co op in gt hampton row...for anyone interested in st georges church there is a thread for it with some amazing photos...

Absolutely brilliant Lyn! I love the interior shots of Smith's. You can still see hints of the past in there; the old wooden drawers, the Carborundom (Blimey, what's that when it's at home?!). Looks like Harry Smith started out in partnership with E.B.Jackson on your photo of their first building. So much that we can still see, lovely.

Re.the Pavement I too have struggled with placing that too.

Thanks Lyn, keep up the excellent reconnaissance! But I don't think Postie will back your request for a small plane for your aerial reccies!! Viv.

Just zoomed in on the shop photo and it says H. Smith 'Late' E.B. Jackson. Maybe Smith took it over from Mr Jackson. Also interesting that Harry Smith advertised himself as a Locksmith, so he really branched out by the time the old photo was taken. In fact the old photo has an enormous key on the wall to advertise his services. The Streetview in post #80 still had the key sign hanging there, just below the 'Established 1824' and surprisingly Lyn's up to date photo of today shows a few bits of it are still there. Viv.

ah ah well spotted viv...the bracket for the key sign is still there minus the key and i was wondering what that was for...

i wonder if postie will back me to take some aerial shots...gawd blimey i can just see me hanging out of a plane lol..

Last edited:
Goggles, white scarf flowing in the wind, chocks away ....... seriously though Lyn, I think it would be interesting to see the back of these buildings along that stretch of Hockley Hill. Maybe BHF could stretch to a cherry picker for you! Viv.

Goggles, white scarf flowing in the wind, chocks away ....... seriously though Lyn, I think it would be interesting to see the back of these buildings along that stretch of Hockley Hill. Maybe BHF could stretch to a cherry picker for you! Viv.

lol viv..biggles also springs to mind...talking about looking at the back of the buildings did you see the trees pub hockley hill thread...i was down there last week taking pics of it and also round the back of the building and was quite surprised at what i found..

lyn

Last edited:
hi bernie...thats a great pic but unfortunately the caption is wrong it definately is not of gt hampoton row...we had a discussion about it ages back and cant be sure of its location although it could be around that area which is a shame really but thanks for posting it..

lyn

[h=3]WHITE HISTORY AND GENERAL DIRECTORY OF THE BOROUGH OF BIRMINGHAM 1849[/h]Jackson Edwd. Bache, ironmonger & factor, 19 Hockley hill

Back