• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley Hill

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the brook cafe..hockley hill dated 1954

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Attachments

• Hockley Hill - Shops - Bus.jpg
    Hockley Hill - Shops - Bus.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
the brook cafe..69/71 hockley hill dated 1954

mike could i have a map please showing where 69/71 was please..thank you mike..

69.71 hockly hill.brook_cafe.1964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good photo Lyn. Always surprised at the amount of advertising there is on the front of these buildings. I don't suppose the shops received any reward from the advertisers for use of the space! But it gives us a good record of many of the popular products of the day. The bus has 00 on the front, so maybe the bus driver & conductor have stopped off for their brekkie! Viv.

Lyn
Brook Cafe is 70-71. these are shown in red on the map

map showing 70-71 Hockley hill.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. I loved your picture of 69-71 Hockley Hill although I have seen it before. I am particularly interested in it as my 3 x Gt Grandmother, Emelia Mackain, lived at Yard, Hockley in 1851 when she was 72 years old. This yard was situated between 71 and 72 Hockley. I have always wondered if the Yard was up the entry next to The Brook Cafe. Mind you the numbers may have changed over so many years! I used to live about 15 minutes' walk away from here but never ever knew of my connection with Hockley Hill until I started doing my family history.

Funnily enough my first job from school in 1954 (the same date as your photo) at the age of 15 was at Harry Astbury's Electrical Engineers which I think was only a few doors away from The Brook Cafe!

What is the date of your map Mike?

Judy

thanks mike i thought it would be towards the bottom of hockley hill because of the incline in the pic i poste..

hi judy...i hope mike sees your post as he maybe able to help you with the location of where your 3x gt grandmother lived..

lyn

Yes judy . I think your guess was right. Have just tried to put on map, but it won't ket me either way. Back no 71 was the large buildings and one small on the map behind, and slightly below the red marked buildings

Thanks for your help Mike. I see the area slightly below your red markings and guess that might probably have been "The Yard". It is such a big help to be able to see the area more closely on a map like yours.

Judy

judy i think the school you can see on mikes may would be icknield st school..

lyn

img523.jpg
This is/was the home of Miss Brown, Hockley Hill 1901.
I have no idea who she was or why I would have kept the photo.

nice one of hockley hill...

Hockley20Hill20appr.jpg
A great photo Lyn, the pub on the left is The Benyon

it is indeed big fella the benyon arms corner of hockley hill and farm street..

lyn

Do you know what year it was taken Lyn it looks like late 50s early 60s ?

no year given big fella but i would go along with you on late 50s to middle 60s...

cheers for reposting those great pics..the more the merrrier...

lyn

hi folks assuming that the caption is correct which says hockley brook i would love to know where abouts on hockley brook this pic was taken...seems to say cable inn and the bus is number 81 i think..if the bus routes have not changed over the years the 81 runs up spring hill and dudley road.....this pic is from the lost pubs of brum...any help to pin point the location would be great..

many thanks

lynHockley Brook 1890.jpg

Last edited:
Had a zoom in Lyn and I think it says 'Cable Traffic Inn' What a great name! Think it says the proprietor was a Mr C Daniel. Great photo too. Viv..

hi viv thats what i thought it said...to help us with the exact location i was hoping that c daniel was the proprietor...wonderful photo isnt it...not got time to research at the min so unless its solved by someone else i will do some digging later on..

lyn

Lyn, the number 81 is the car fleet number, they were cable operated hence no overhead wires show in the picture, and there's the connection to the Inn. They were introduced during the 1890's and travelled the Handsworth route as far as the New Inns until 1911.
I've checked my Kelly's up to 1900 and cannot find the Inn listed, perhaps Mike can see any later dates.

Colin

Lyn

I believe this to be approximately the same location although there have been some major changes to the neighbourhood buildings. It is the bottom of Hockley Hill as you might now recognise.

Attachments

• Hockley Soho  Hill.[2].jpg
    Hockley Soho Hill.[2].jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 151
soho hill pally.jpgthanks colin and phil...yes phil i know where that is...the pally is just on the right past the buildings with the pointy bits lol..actually a few are still standing...its taken from the bottom of hockley hill looking up soho hill...ive got this one looking down soho hill with the pally on the left...had an idea my pic on post one could have been taken there or there abouts and i did notice that the track does a right turn...will try and tie it down to an exact spot if poss...

thanks...

Could this be the Inn - Cable Tramway Inn, Hockley Hill - mentioned in the Birmingham Daily Post Saturday, May 31, 1890?

Attachments

• cable_trainway_inn_Sat_May_312C_1890.JPG
    cable_trainway_inn_Sat_May_312C_1890.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
it most certainly is pol..it says cable triainway inn on my pic....that definately puts it at hockley hill...thanks pol ive saved that snippet..

lyn

Lol - We posted at the same time Lyn - have a look at Mikes post on the other thread. When I first read the newspaper clipping I was unsure if it said trainway or tramway - need to put me glasses on.

ok pol ive looked closer and it is tramway....not got my glassed on either..ive been over to the other thread and asked mike if he would post us a map pinpointing the building which i believe was at no 102...

lyn

Great! Strangely I can't find any other mention of the Cable tramway inn in the papers - usually there are mentions in the licenses granted etc. but not for that one. I wonder if it wasn't called that for very long or if it closed down?

Back