• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

I think 181 would have been near Charles Rd, just past the end of the row in the picture.

Nick

Last edited:
Hi Derekw the Coach was on the corner of Norwood Road almost opposite Charles Roadand it's still there it was called Shannons last time I went past . Dick Waddams was there for donkeys years and most people used him but I think there was a cooked meat shop that most people bought the faggots from , I can't remember the name but I'll find out

Thanks Jim, Nick and Bernie, that means they lived not far fron dads family - small world really.
The butchers shop throws another angle though, I am convinced nan said her dad ran a butchers shop and she helped out in there when she was a teenager, that would be 1928 or thereabouts. I wonder if the butcher mentioned would have been that one?
Tied in with that, is/was there a pub close to the butchers with an outdoor? The reason I ask is that nan met grandad while she was working in the shop and he used to go to the outdoor for beer for his parents, who apparently liked a bit more than a tipple!! Only thing that would throw this is that they lived in Cradock Road, which I don't think is near Bordesley is it?
Why didn't I ask nan or listen more carefully to her!!
Sue

Many thanks Berniew,I think you're right about the cooked meat shop.
Some of the other names are coming back to me now,there was Bert Guy the gents outfitters,my eldest sister lived above his shop for a while.Scrivens on the corner of Botha Rd,Laws on the corner of Pretoria Rd and the Era picture house,a Mr Charles was the manager there in my day,he lived in one of the 'Avenues'.

Mr Charles lived three doors away from me in Third Ave, his Son, Bernard, worked with my Brother at the GPO Fordrough Lane.

Mr Charles lived three doors away from me in Third Ave, his Son, Bernard, worked with my Brother at the GPO Fordrough Lane.

Thanks Jim...we used to play him up blind at the Era with our pea shooters and such,he had a wicked temper.

Just a thought, here is a photo of Cyril Price...Head Teacher at Marlborough Road School circa mid 70s. Stepfather of my cousin. Taffy from Glamorgan originally...wondered if any of you remember him?

Cyril David Price .jpg

. Dick Waddams was there for donkeys years and most people used him but I think there was a cooked meat shop that most people bought the faggots from , I can't remember the name but I'll find out

Hi Berniew,

There was a cooked meat shop on Bordesley Green between Victoria Streetand Carlton Road It was named Hydes. I often went there with a basin to buy their famous faggots and peasl It was almost next door to Corbetts the greengrocers.

Old Boy

This might seem a silly question but, Bordesley and Bordesley Green are not the same, are they?

Are they by chance located next to each other?

Yes Neville, Roughly, from Town we have Bordesley, Bordesley Green, and last but nor least, Bordesley Green East, as per this tram and bus route map. So anyone like me, living in BGE, rode past BG and B every time you went into Town (or school in my case..) or to watch the Blues. You knew every Pub, Picture House, Shop, Roads off and other landmarks along the way....

Tram Route.jpg

Does anyone have photos of Bordesley Green East, between the Broadway Pub as was, and Stechford. That was where my first 14 years was spent, I lived in Foxwell Road.

Does anyone have photos of Bordesley Green East, between the Broadway Pub as was, and Stechford. That was where my first 14 years was spent, I lived in Foxwell Road.

My brother in law and one of my old schoolmates lived in Foxwell Rd in 1950s/60s.

And some from my old end..Stechford Terminus opposite Denton Grove and the Richmond. Before the extension of BGE through what was Royston Road onwards to The Meadway etc...

My Uncle Les Hutton and his family also had a furniture shop where the Magnet Library/Cinema Stores were for some time. Les introduced me to Jimbo and this great BHF site a few years ago...small world eh?

Tram Terminus Stechford.jpg53 Bus  Stechford Terminus 1966.jpgBGE   Blake Lane corner  1957.jpgs.jpgBGE Toilets at Victoria St Junction.jpg

Last edited:
Thats the place Old Boy thanks there was another cooked meat shop that did faggots by Norwood Road betweeen Bates newsagents and Coopers fruit and veg the shop eventually became a bookies

Dad remembers BG before it was extended up onto the Meadway, he and his mate used to have a den in the trees on Royston Road, he lived in Station Road opposite the police station.
Sue

Thanks for the photos Dennis, the tramcar near the Broadway was where I said goodbye to my mother got on the tram and went to Evesham for evacuation 1st Sept 39, it was great exitement and an adventure. It lasted about 10 weeks and I was home again in Brum.

Great story Geff. My mom was evacuated to Evesham RAF Hospital to have me in 1942, before we moved into Richmond Road! And the Ritz was where I met and courted my Mrs, and we are still going after 60 years (46 years married)! Dad was born in a house next dor to the Atlas Pub, 99 Cattell Rd. Gone now of course...his family moved to Denton Grove circa 1930s.

And a few more for the BGE buffs...recalling the Town Terminus of the 53 and 54 Buses that plied the BG/BGE routes, viz. Carrs Lane...and one of the Victoria Pub...my old Football Club HQ...well one of them...although I played late 50s, not when this was taken! The Bus pics are from Malcolm Keeley's Bham Buses book, plus one of John Ball's...

Sorry to hog the thread with all these pics...

53 54 Bus Terminus Carrs Lane.jpg53 Bus Carrs Lane 1.jpgCarrs Lane.jpg53 Bus Cov Rd.jpgVictoria Pub.jpg

Great pictures, so many memories and insight into the area before my time. Lived in Eastfield Rd BGE from 1968 - 76 and my mom only moved from there 3.5 years ago.

Hi Geff,

I see that you were evacuated to Evesham. I was too with Waverley Grammar School. Were you a fellow pupil or did you go to another school?

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Back