• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harry lucas school

i was at the library today..still no pics of this school on file im afraid...

Have found at last my school photo taken in 1960. Unfortunately, black and white so you dont get to see the school colours.

Found this photo on Friends Reunited ( St Silas ). Two people in the picture definitely went on to Harry Lucas, they were the two lads Tony Gisivicous (lived in Wills St) and Nigel Loader (St Silas Square).
The two girls left to right are Sara Woods (Villa St or Wills St) and Carol Crowe ( Hampstead Rd i think) . Max

Not a photograph of the school but one of the man it was named after. Harry Lucas. Max

Max - I remember the very same photograph of Harry Lucas hanging by where the school bells used to be outside of Johnie Walker's office. Mabz

Hi Mabz, im trying to find out more info on the old school, i am trying to find out when it was founded.
I have looked up in the Birmingham Post year book in 1953/4 and its not recorded, but it is in the 1959/60 book ( i dont have the ones in between )when Johnie Walker was the HM, so he was there a good time. Max

Max - I have some information on the school taken from the Birmingham Education archives which I will post once I have located it. In a nutshell the school was previously referred to as Burbury Street School. During WW2 the school took all the pupils from Farm Street school as that school was used for some kind of war effort?

It remained a primary school until the mid 1950's when it was renamed and reclassified as a secondary school. It remained a secondary school until it's demolition in 1968/69(?)

Johnnie Walker was a teacher at Icknield School and became head of Harry Lucas during the 1950's. Mabz

Nice one Mabz, it is referred to as being in Burbury St, but i thought i used to go in in Farm St. Max

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Max with the school information. Here it is:

Administrative history: Burbury Street Board School opened in 1891 with accommodation for mixed and infant children. A manual instruction centre was provided in 1911. The school was reorganised in 1930 into a Senior Mixed Department and an Infant Department. The Senior Mixed Department closed in 1941 and the school was reorganised as a junior and Infant 1954 and closed in 1958. The school premises were changed into a secondary school in 1958/59 and called Harry Lucas County Modern School.

Hope this is what you wanted? Mabz

Hello.
My Brother Paul Bevan went to Harry Lucas School in 1966 .He played In the Rugby team as he was never Interested in Football be Interested If anyone could remember him.Sadly paul passed away in 2008.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Max with the school information. Here it is:

Administrative history: Burbury Street Board School opened in 1891 with accommodation for mixed and infant children. A manual instruction centre was provided in 1911. The school was reorganised in 1930 into a Senior Mixed Department and an Infant Department. The Senior Mixed Department closed in 1941 and the school was reorganised as a junior and Infant 1954 and closed in 1958. The school premises were changed into a secondary school in 1958/59 and called Harry Lucas County Modern School.

Hope this is what you wanted? Mabz

Brilliant Mabz thanks, on a slightly different not but in the same area, i have just discovered that Burbury St Park was Birmingham Cities very 1st municipal recreation ground. Max

Hi my name is lynda upton nee shakespeare i went to Harry lucas secondary in the 1960 i might know your brother

hi loo loo and welcome to the forum...any pics you may have of the school would be great as so far one has not been found..

lyn

i Hi my name is lynda upton nee shakespeare i also went to Harry lucas school the other school names were corley and masterton i also sang at the town hall and visit bockleton twice actually
pete watson was a great teacher i believe he is still alive well he was untill three years ago, it was a great school i live in Australia now and my sisters have been to a few reunions
the school has held great memories for me and my sisters carol diane and kathleen shakespeare they were real good old days i was visiting england last year and went to the site where the schools was it bought tears to my eyes, i have a photo taken inside the front gate it was a netball team i was in i will post it on the sight for all the old students to see take care everyone bless you all lynda upton

hi loo loo...i was down the old end a couple of weeks back standing on the site where my old farm st school was and it bought a tear to my eyes too...it would be great if you could post any pics you have for everyone to see as so far no pics of harry lucas school has been found....

lyn

i remember miss cadman she was a old tar tar she would pick you up for walking through the hall, and in the assemblies she would play that aweful music she seemed sold at the time
i know she was still alive 10 years ago she went to one of the reunions my sister went and was shocked to find she was still alive God bless her

When I was at Harry Lucas (1958-1961) Miss Cadman was Deputy Head and her office was just off the sports hall.

hi folks after years of searching i have finally found a pic of harry lucas...its not a close up im afraid but an overhead shot of the joseph lucas factory...the surrounding streets before demolision and just in shot is the school but at least it proves it was there as i was beginning to think i was imagining it lol...will scan and post it asap...

lyn

i find this a brill overhead shot of the area...burbury st to the left and just to the left of that is harry lucas school...maybe best to save this pic and then you can zoom in for a better look at it..can also see burbury st park at the top of the pic..

lyn
img873.jpg

What a brilliant photo Lyn maybe Mike can sort a map to match it. It would be nice to be able to zoom in if you can do it. Thanks for all your hard work with these photo's.

What a great shot Lyn of the school and it,s surroundings. Like Wendy said thanks for the work you put in finding these wonderful photos for us all to see .

thanks both..wend if you save it to your pics you should be able to zoom in..

the st running accross is bridge st west..the street running up on the right is wells st..then we have gt king st running up either side of the lucas factory and burbury st running up on the left...with farm st running accross just in front of the park...

Good photo Lynn at last. I am sure there must be someone somewhere who has photos. I think there were some put on before showing presentations to pupils with Mr Walker (headmaster) and one of the Director's wives from Lucas' in it.

hi carolina..not the best pic and my aim is to find a full on one of the school but this is the closest we have come so far..im sure there is one somewhere..maybe the library is worth another go...

lyn

Lynn - great photograph. I am confident that other photographs will turn-up sooner or later. You need to change your avatar to Sherlock Holmes........ Mabz

hi ya mabz..well its the closest yet to a pic of harry lucas...and yes im quite sure there will be a great one of the old school out there somewhere...

lyn

Hi as an old shool-boy 1960-1965 i posted a photo of the football team (about63/64)taken in the front of the school,you can view on this site under school football teams.hello to anybody out there who remembers me graham (spud) taylor. PS photo also on friends reunited under Harry lucas.

Back