• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

I'm afraid I cannot help Moss. The directories up to to 1873 do not list numbers, and only a few numbers are given on the 1861 census. I cannot find no 13 on that census.. By 1876 the numbering seems to have changed and so is not relevent. I take it you have not got it from the 1861 census
Sorry
mike

On further consideration Moss, it is possible (in that the position fits in with about where it might be expected on the census, although no number is given) that it is John and Ann Parry at the Vine Inn, but thta is a (slightly) educated guess. Would that fit in with waht you were expecting?

Hi Mike,I only have them at this address on the 1861 census.It states the area covered is Lichfield rd west from Park Lane to Victoria rd,with No1 being Clock Tower.No 12 i a victualler and my G Grandparents at No 13.

Mike,i have just notice No 4 was Joseph Ansell and family,occupation malster and hop merchant employing 3 people.

HI MOSSES
FROM Aston cross itself from where the front offices on aston cross walking along the lichfield rd if heading towards the aston resovoir
right from that very corner there was very old and tiny shops if you image the very front door of ansells head office door which was facing the clock its
very central there was about four or five of these shops ; i cannot recall there names or trade at the moment ;
but walk around the corner to where they built an drive in for the horse and cart dray men in and out all day on the lichfield rd
and thats where they started again a series of little shops possible about eight in total ; and thats where the little houses and the big old victorian yards
was placed all along lichfield rd right up to upper portland street where you seen the front of ansells building in those days all those was big courts and prior to them back towards aston cross in and betwen those eight shops was these litle house before the big yards thats where no,13 was
facing them on the opersite side of lichfield rd was a couple of houses that fell betwen hercules bikes lorry entrance and the aston picture houst the astorian picture house and they showed billy hayley in concert and they danced and wrecked the seationg the manager went barmy ;
as i said all along that frontage of ansells up to upper portland stret was the houses and then just crossing the rd to continue was matys and a old butchers shop then old mr parkes where you would get the butter patter out of the barrel then there wasthe opening of a terrace where mandy grand father used to live then anothershop old mrs oxo we called her because she gave us all conkers in the oxo tins hence her name then a mrs barnes bought it off her then it was our rerrace listed as cromwell sqaure we was 5/ 92 lichfield rd ;aston; birmingham 6;
i beleive there is photographs of these house and the courts in one or two maggs and books are knocking about some where
i also recall the side entrance to ansel when they moderen ised that gate for the out exit for the horse befor they rebuilt the yatd whicn is in the beginnig of upper portland street i think i may have a picture book some where of it i can recall all of ansells being bult ack and front and in park road leadig up to
good old victoria rd ; best wishes astonian;

Hi Jean,Yes they were the founders of Ansell's brewery. It's amazing isn't it that it all started from a terraced house on the site that later employed so many.Moss

Thanks for that information Alan.So No 13 would be shown on this picture then.Moss

Attachments

• ASTON CROSS 1907.jpg
    ASTON CROSS 1907.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 163
Mossg my gt gt grandparents in the 1871 census had the grocery shop just behind the clock to the right of it, and that was No 2 Lichfield Road.

Moss
I have sorted the problem now. Below is a map c 1889 showing what I believe is your g grandparents house in red. however it is not no 13 lichfield road. The no is the number in the schedule, that is the 13th house covered by the enumerator. This can be seen later in that district where the enumerator starts up Victoria Road and the number in that column goes from 56 in Lichfield St to 57 in Victoria Road.

map_c_1889_lichfield_rd_showing_prob__moss_ggparents.jpg

hi moss
yes they are the little shops and houses what you can see in the picture on the right hand of the picture as you look at it there was a small number
of houses i think it was about six houses compared too the ones you see which you can not see because the photgrapher took that side of the rd
was the posher ones as i recall saying to myself when i was a little nipperas i have said they fell betwen hercules gates and drive down to there ware house wich was at the bottom of the drive they had big iron gates and inthose days they was big exservice men inthere smart uniforms
what they called commisioners sammy gaskin was my friends father whom was a sargent there at the gate house he was a big fella;and regimental
as they was all in those days not like todays sercurity gate men dressed in dull uniforms they wore the bright coloured uniformd with the army
white corps ; but any way . getting back on track where you see number one where you se those little shops was there huge front building
as you know of yester years as you recall it i remember the days they started to demo; all that section and along the front of the lichfield rd along with the courts that was there the courts started about half way along the picture back to upper portland street and thats where you can see the big chimmneys in the back groundwhich was more or less in the middle of there grounds at that period more so if you walked up the park rd where they had a entrance orinioaly
and the other side at the bottom of upper portland street was a small entrance for he cok delivery yard and where they took and brought out the big shire horse
after working and fetching them down from the stables of vicarage rd end by the junior infant school daily ; morning and night
they used to have all there brasses on and medals they won ; just acros the rd from the upper portland stret entrance across the other side of the lichfield rd
just across the was was a water trough for the horses to to getting there drink of water before and after there days working before walking them back up the cobbled hil to vicarage rd stables i used to stand and whatch them drink and follow the men or the driver to take them up the hill

and i recall all the extention of there new building along the lichfield rd to the end of upper portland street the horse trough ws across the lichfield rd at the lower portland street out side my friends cafe also gallaghers brothers barbers shop it was at the top end of wainwright street aston and across from matys radio shop we used to play in the rubble of the old building of those courts at the wek end s when the demo men was not around
and when ansells finished the frontage they opend up there little yard for delivery of there fuekkls to heat up the boilers and put a gate office there i;there is also picture some where with the orinional rear entrance in a book plus the new arrange yard i some books i know they was on this site before but the
tow rags whom have taken then [ nicked them off our site ] i hope they come to a sticky end ] so you cannot see them but they are in some books some where so we may be get one or two members whom may be able to get us one my mate old gaskin andmyself used to creep into the back yard and jump into the coal heaps which wa a huge way dwn the hole pitt we was only little kids wethought it was fun to jump down and sink into all this smakk coke and we would sink to our waist we would struggle to pull our selves up and wressel to get to the side and climb uop a big steel ladder steps to climb and get our selves out
they used to have the big automated shovel that moved up and down the pitt to fetch up there coke and coal and noboby knew we was in and doen thisdeep pitts [ crazy we was ] we could have been killed ; but after a couple of weks they had a manman the gates so we could not get in again and we said yes we had better stop or we will get ourselves killed ; so w did so we started a regular war on the big sargents familydaily when not at school they lived the other side of thompsons still they wa the days of yester years as clear as a bell i may add ; the entrace in park road to ansells wa facing the entry to the cocks family whom was friends with my parents oh just to mention when they built all the front of ansells on the left hand side of the building from the front entrance
there entry for the horse and cart used to have a traffic light instaled on entrance it went up a big slope and at the top on the left hand side was the red and green light which the horse and driver had to obey before entrying into the brewery ;both in and out all day long ; one day because the big shire horse new is driver the driver had a heart attack out side on the lightsthe horse trained to stop on red and green so the horse stopp on red whilst the driver was laying back on the dray and when green he took is driver into the brewery and they found him out cold but the guys inside got him to hospital at the general
and he survived ; well moss all the best take care astonian;;;; alan;;

Thanks a lot Mike.what you say makes a lot of sense,but i think my G G Grandparents house is the one before the one you marked as the corner shop is number 2 in the schedule.Moss

hi my name is peter rankin I also lived at 5/92 lichfield road or cromwell square as it was also known in the fities with my gran harriet bannister who worked at buttons, my neighbours were mrs gough,mrs marshall mrs gamidge, the gaskin family, the tromans, it was at the back of thomsons the butchers and was very noisey, I used to go up the alley and watch them slaughter the pigs, I went to manor park junior school just at the side of ansells brewery then upper thomas street sec mod till the early sixties,you must have lived there in the late forties or early fifties before my gran

Hello rank and welcome to the forum. Would you remember the Pugh family from another back to back only my friend Denise would love to find someone who did?. I have another friend who lived close to Thompsons but will have to find out her maiden name.

hiya jean thanks for the welcome, I will ask my older brother ken he new everybody in those days, he used to be mates with the dawsons across the road by ortons the fireplace shop the back houses there used to back onto the old monkey run, just a note I worked at ansells brewery from 1970 untill the closure in 81 and I played for the first team in the premier of the works football league run by john cronin, we had a cracking side and was top of the works league for many seasons being trained by derek kevan, and ron saunders the old wolves keeper who managed a pub for ansells somewhere on chelmsley wood in the early seventies.

My father had a radio and tv shop on Lichfield Road in the early sixties,the number was 197 and was opposite Ansell Wine cellar and in between Bert Pittaways fishing shop and BeeBee's clothes shop.We used to eat at Betty's cafe a little further down Lichfield Road on the other side.

Rank will message you as my husband was there then and was a good mate of Dereks for some time after that and knows the Cronin family. Hi Mal welcome to you too. Jean.

hi rankin;
just read your thread ;well; well; i was born there at number 5/92 ' and we lived there as kids from the early years
we lived there in the early forties till late fifty ; i beleive it was fifty seven or eight we moved to ladywood ;
my old lady and old fellow moved there in the thirtys ;and had seven kids there so may be you moved in the late fiftys and not when you said you did ;
all the people you have mentionened up the terrace i grew up with everyu single one of them ;colin gaskin; and carol gamage jenny gough the cousins the sharps and your aunt was the one next to our still long friends the jarratts its amazing. she had on her wall out side her house in sea shells
written jesus saves ; i beleive she had a daughter they was the only ones up there that kept them selves to them selves except on coronation day
the only two familys that left that terrace in the early years was the craddocks [ graham ] folowed by us the rest of them stayed until the end
till slum cleareance came around ;there was an elderly lady living there before my parents and she wrote memoirs of 5/92
and you find her on one of carl chinns first edition which was aston mannor
i could tell you alot of the terrace and its inhabbitts of every single members of all those familys that lived up there
every kid up there played together from the days we all could walk and talk i was sorry to leave 5/92 and go to lady wood
so its semms you was the next family to move into that house ; after us there was eight of us brought up ion that little house and by god it held memorys and of mandys grand father and the whole area beleive me where did you move from to get into 5/92 ;
i look forewarded to hearing from you ; best wishes and welcome aboard the express ; astonian;;

Back