• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Seems to me it's a piece of local history worth recording. Thanks Froth for the info and if you can get any up to date photos that'll be a bonus. Just out of interest, is this still a terminus (i.e for buses, not trams of course!)? Viv

I had to go to Balsall Heath on Friday for a medical appointment, ..not an area that I am familiar with at all..but I noticed that it has some lovely old buildings, which sadly are quite neglected. I decided to do a google walk around the area, to take a closer look at some of the buildings and I came across a few things that might be of interest for this thread.
I was looking at the buildings between Runcorn Road (formerly St Johns Road according to a map of 1889) and Clifton Road and saw this Ghost Sign 536 Moseley Road.jpg I could just about make out a name which I thought could be Price, so I checked in Kelly's and it was an advert for Frederick Price, Ladies hairdressers, 536 Moseley Road. Mr Price established his business there sometime between 1913 and 1915 because he wasnt in the 1913 Directory but did appear in the 1915. He was listed in the phone directory of 1941 but I don't know when he closed his shop.
In 1890 the building was numbered 281 and occupied by a John Mathews, Confectioner.. and on the land that is now occupied by the building with green corrugation below the roofline, stood a Congregational Chapel which seated 800 people.
1889 for 536 Moseley road 3a.jpg The building behind the Chapel in St Johns Road (Runcorn) is still there and has this sign above the door
Runcorn Road Balsall Heath.jpg
I can make out most of the wording "Albert Spicer E ?? JR, Laid this stone, Commemorate the extension, These Schools,
December 11? 1?38..it looks like a 6 ...can anyone else read it ?
Another "Sign" I found really interesting is just down from Price's but there doesnt appear to be any wording, just an animals head which I presume is a cow...and under the head is what looks to be something floral ??? The shop to the right of it was number 283 in 1890 and appears to have been a Butchers shop from 1883 (I havent checked when it ceased to be a butchers) From the map I believe the sign was over a passageway which was maybe used for delivering the meat..I am actually amazed that it is still there.
by 530A Moseley Road.jpgI hope no one minds my long post, I just find looking at the history of the buildings really fascinating..

How interesting Lindy. Some great finds - the cow's head and plaque are lovely features. Would certainly like to know what they symbolised. I think the school sign is dated 1838 and the letters after 11 are 'th', so it's 11th. I think Albert Spicer would have been a Justice of the Peace, so it would be 'J.P' after his name, but can't make out what's just before that. Thanks for posting with all the detail - makes it very interesting. I too love to scan buildings for interesting details! Viv.

great post 120 lindy...always pays to have your camera handy..
:encouragement:

lyn

Great, thanks Froth. Just as well we didn't see that West Midlands Gas sign before. Would have thrown us completely off the scent - 'scuse the pun. Hope they find a good use for the building, pity to have it covered up. Wonder who owns it now. BG? WMPTE? Viv.

A lovely painted sign above the door of the Observatory Inn on Hunters Rd/Barkers Street. This looks like it might not hang in there much longer if it isn't given some TLC, but at least the pub's still going strong. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351503456.762592.jpg

How interesting Lindy. Some great finds - the cow's head and plaque are lovely features. Would certainly like to know what they symbolised. I think the school sign is dated 1838 and the letters after 11 are 'th', so it's 11th. I think Albert Spicer would have been a Justice of the Peace, so it would be 'J.P' after his name, but can't make out what's just before that. Thanks for posting with all the detail - makes it very interesting. I too love to scan buildings for interesting details! Viv.

Hi Viv, I'm pleased that you and Astoness found my post interesting :)
I've been trying to find out a bit more about Albert Spicer and the only thing I have really come across is that there was an Albert Spicer linked to the Birmingham Newspaper Publishing Company/ James Spicer and Sons (mainly London but a branch in needless Alley) https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/James_Spicer_and_Sons
And Spicers Ltd as seen here https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/EFEAAB7E-7EF4-49DF-A0D9-C0AEEE96E68B/0/BusinessrecordsatCambridgeshireArchives2011.pdf

so maybe this was the gent who laid the Commemorative Stone ??
I havent found anything about the cow's head yet unfortunately.

Thats a great photo of the Observatory Pub painting..it would be good to see it restored.

Hi Viv, re your post No.109 re the Gosta Green, formerly The Pot of Beer, prior to that it was the Holt Arms, adjacent to the Holt Brewery, my grandad was born there on the 3rd July 1876, his grandfather John Raybould was the licencee there for many years. I remember it as The Pot of Beer in the 1970s but didn't know of the family connection then. Remember the toilets were The Victoria for ladies, and Albert for the gents. Went a few years ago when it was The Gosta Green, now a student pub and absolutely dreadful, the light fittings had "shades" made from metal oil drums.

That's great Sylvia. Nice to find people who have a direct connection with these places. Pity the pub has lost its atmosphere. It was such a good place to drink. I remember the man who used to come around with his basket of shellfish. It was so nice to tuck into those with a good drink. The tables were those very heavy cast iron ones, red plush upholstery, and like I say, loads of antique items hanging from the ceiling. The beer was good too. I remember many Saturday nights in there when the place would be bulging. It was a time when everyone smoked in pubs. Well, the air would be thick with smoke and your eyes would be streaming. Yes, great times! Viv.

Hi Lindy. This has got me baffled too. I thought Albert Spicer would have been this chap....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351525725.760228.jpg but he wasn't born until 1847. According to Hansard records he did have quite a bit to say in Parliament about education policies so laying a stone for a school would fit. The stone for the school extension looks like it's dated 1838. I've had a very close look again at the plaque and I'm pretty sure it's 1838 ..... a close up again
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351525824.325254.jpg

I also thought the school would have connections with the Congregational Church (as did Albert Spicer J.P) As you say, the Chapel was on the corner of St John's/ Runcorn Rd and Moseley Rd, but that wasn't built until 1862 .......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351525946.401404.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the date on the plaque has worn away. Maybe it was 1888 ?

Completely mystified! Viv.

Hmmmm ...?? That first picture certainly looks as if it should be the chap Viv, I did see some info about him but the birthdate had me wondering too..
I think I will have to try and find out more now !!!
Great picture of the Church :) thanks for finding it Viv

Well I must say what a fabulous thread, just spent a very happy 1/2hour, reading, and looking at the pictures.
Thank you all for posting.
paul

I have tinkered with picture of the waiting room building at Wylde Green,and think you can see ERDINGTON TRAMWAYS a little clearer.moss

Attachments

• DSCF3740-001.jpg
    DSCF3740-001.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF3740-002.jpg
    DSCF3740-002.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for the photo mossg. I have always been intrigued by that building over the years and wondered what it is/was. Over the years it has become more and more derelict. I think the clock stopped working a long time ago. Be nice to find out more about it. Lloyd said it was to do with Trams and I am sure it was but why it has remained and in it's present state I have no idea.

Heres a photo of the waiting room in its prime, I still cant read the lettering but I don't think it says Erdington Tramways.

Attachments

• Erdington Tram Terminus.jpg
    Erdington Tram Terminus.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi Phil, thanks for posting a very good picture of the waiting room, which actually looks inviting rather than the forlorn building that it's become today. Think I'm inclined to go along with Moss's photo's on the wording. It certainly looks a good fit with "Erdington Tramways" . And agree with Jennyann, it would also be interesting to find out who now owns the building.

Hi Paul. Glad you've enjoyed all the postings. A tall order, but it would be nice to have as many signs as possible on the forum before they disappear from the effects of the elements (or building development). One aspect that has only just occurred to me is that many of these signs might be preserved underneath later wooden advertising boards. The first photo is one such at 288 Ladypool Road (near the junction with Clifton Road). Don't know what it's referring to, but it has some very crisp lettering only preserved because it's been covered up by a later advertising. The second is on the wall of 218 Heathfield Road, again covered by later boards, but now it's uncovered reveals an optician's services. Nice script. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351634967.263892.jpg Ladypool Road
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351635060.344220.jpg Heathfield Road

Here we have a glimpse of the old LMS station sign at Erdington Station. The first view is the most recent Streetview, but the second photo shows a bit more of the sign before it became obscured by the plants. The station opened in 1862, is located on an embankment and is on the former Sheep Street, now Station Road. Viv.

IMG_1360.jpg

Hi,

On a recent walk around Birmingham, I found this ghost sign on the corner or Key Hill and Great Hampton Street.

Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1084.jpg

Another ghost sign, this time in Kings Heath, on the corner of silver street and fairfield road. Not a grocers anymore, but I remember it being a small family run grocers right up until the late 90's early 2000. It always looked so out of place with all the shops on the high street. There was this lovely old lady who ran it, but the shop always seemed so empty, I always wondered how it was still running with the competition of the high street.

Hi Nikki. Harry Smith sign's a very good example. Do you know if the shop has now closed down? Viv.

Nikki we were posting at the same time! Really like the Twinings sign as well. And nice to have memories recorded about the shop too. Thanks. Viv.

Fullscreen capture 10112012 221404.jpg

Hi Viv,
Just had a proper look the the Harry Smith building from the Great Hampton Road side and it does still appear to be open as a shop, so not too sure if that one counts as a ghost sign, oops!

Don't think it matters if it's open or closed Nikki. Good to see these signs before they fade away. The first Harry Smith sign looks like it's becoming neglected, so it's good to have a record of it. I was interested if it's still open because it looks like such an interesting shop, with a long history. Not many of them left! Thanks for posting two very nice signs. Viv.

This one's not terribly inspiring but is interesting as a company. It's the County Chemical Co in Bradford Street. They started off in Coleshill and moved to Bradford Street when they needed bigger premises. They produced Brylcreem amongst many other chemical products. Later changed their name to Chemico. Here's a link to a thread on BHF about the company :

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39639

Viv

Back