• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs Of The Past

Hi all. New here today. What a great forum.

Have been through every pic in this thread & can't believe how many of these pubs i have been in. Thanks to all who posted them.

One i spent many hours waiting outside of as a kid, for my dad & grandad (They were both called Charlie Phipps.) was The Wagon & Horses on the corner of Moseley road & Balsall Heath Road. I was born 108 Vincent St, Balsall heath in 1952, my dad & grandad both worked at The Waggon at some time.

Couldn't find a pic in this thread but found one in another here is link https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77371&d=1336583136

My Nan Jessie Phipps worked at a little shop in Vincent St called Kay's then later changed to Ward's.

Look forward to meeting some of you soon & chatting.

Alan

Hi AJP and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find some photo's that are familiar
here on the forum. I myself am not from your neck of the woods, but i am sure
there are members who are.

Regards Stars

Thanks for the welcome Stars.
I left there when i was three & went to live in pool Farm, Kings Norton then Frankley Rubery, Redditch now in Paignton Devon.
But used to visit my nan & grandad till i was about 18 when their house was demolished to make way for a new road & roundabout they then moved to Maypole Kings Heath.

Hi AJP

I lived in Vincent Street, I see you are some five years younger than me, which means we wouldn't have moved in the same circles when I lived in Vincent Street, where was 108. it must have been somewhere near the shop you mention or the café over the road.

Hi Phil
108 was on the left going down from Moseley road there used to be a greengrocer just a few doors down. I think next door was named Collins.
My Dad worked at Harrisons Drape in bradford St & my grandad was a butcher for a company called Monks in Gooch St i think.

PS; It was just before Vincent Parade opposite which im sure was only a cul-de-sac then.

Hi AJP

I knew Brian Collins and the two Harris brothers that lived next door they were related I think. I also knew the Price brothers that lived in the first maisonette past the shop. My grandmother also worked at the greengrocers that you mention that would have been about the mid 50's.

Sounds about right Phil i remember the name Harris as well, the greengrocer was two doors down they had apple trees in the garden & there was a man who used to throw us apples over when we visited my nan. Do you remember Kays grocery
shop where my nan worked? they had loads of biscuits in square tins with glass tops & jars of sweets.

Hi Every one, I seem to be always asking about pubs ,anyway does any one know or have a pic of the Reservoir Tavern in Eyre St Birmingham I have found it in the 1888 Kelly's Directory of Birmingham,but would love to know more. my husbands Great Great Grandfather used to run it in the 1880's. Best regards lizzie

Hi AJP, thanks for that, i have just been on the site,its really good on there.Love all the pics. many thanks Lizzie

Hi Lovely to see the" New Inns" Holyhead Road Handsworth, My grandad ,dad, and uncle seemed to have spent most of their spare time in there. We lived in Church Terrace Holyhead Road,which was only a short distance away, Lizzie

Hi AJP

I knew Brian Collins and the two Harris brothers that lived next door they were related I think. I also knew the Price brothers that lived in the first maisonette past the shop. My grandmother also worked at the greengrocers that you mention that would have been about the mid 50's.

Hey Phil did you know the Gilbert's they lived in the same maisonette's. My sister said my nan's was right opposite the cafe' & that we used to get sweets from the machines outside it. My aunt Val used to go out with one of the Gilbert's.

Hi there I am new to the site, just wanted to know if anyone has any old photos of The Barley Mow in Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield and also Sportsman Inn, John Street in Lozells, as my family ran both of this pubs between 1881 - 1911.
Thanks Cath

The Camebridge. 1928.jpeg1928.
The Camebridge Inn on the corner of Crescent Wharf and Camebridge Street.

6246493021_fe488f5525_b.jpg
I posted some time ago that the Gospel Oak Pub in Hall Green had become a Co-Op food store, here is a recent photo.

The Clifton in better times, it was in it's day a reasonable pub.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Clifton Balsall Heath Clifton Rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath Clifton Balsall Heath Clifton Rd.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 77
I have had a pint or two in "The Clifton", when I lived on Hagley Road, SAD!!
paul

Me too when me & my mate had a cafe in Taunton Road used to go in there before we hit the town on saturdays Locarno, samantha's, rebecca's etc etc.
Used to buy a tie from chippy next to locarno to get in.

WOW !! AJP, NO TIE??. what years did you patron the LOCARNO, in my day early sixty's, everyone wore a tie, and suit, and had shiny shoes, well couldn't pull otherwise.
paul

WOW !! AJP, NO TIE??. what years did you patron the LOCARNO, in my day early sixty's, everyone wore a tie, and suit, and had shiny shoes, well couldn't pull otherwise.
paul

If we knew we where going clubbing, went out in suit & tie ( used to have shirts & ties made of same fabric.) started clubbing 70 onward.
Lol 60's ties were thin with straight bottom, 70's wide kipper ties. prefer 60's.

AJP

What Café in Taunton Rd did you have, and I suppose that M & J's on Ladypool Rd was closed by the time you were strutting your stuff in the 70's.

A photo of the Brighton just up the lane a bit from the Clifton on the corner of Brighton Rd, the gaffer from our local the Talbot moved down here in about 1973 his name was Jimmy Rushton. We popped down to see him occasionally, but I was never much enamoured of the pub. Anybody know if its still open?

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Brighton Ladypool Rd x.jpg
    Balsall Heath Brighton Ladypool Rd x.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 45
Yep!, drank here too, very seldom though, my regular watering hole when on the Hagley, was the "Ivy Bush",
paul

AJP

What Café in Taunton Rd did you have, and I suppose that M & J's on Ladypool Rd was closed by the time you were strutting your stuff in the 70's.

Was called Mick & Barbs we took it over from them & left name the same. Did you see my earlier post about Vincent St Phil?

AJP

As this conversation has little to do with public houses I will answer you on the Balsall Heath thread.

Just been told on another forum that The Dog & Partridge on the corner of Windsor Street and what was once Ashted Row is to close at the end of the month. What a shame as it has lasted out this long when everything around it has disappeared. I know that there are photos of this pub on the forum already but I think it deserves this one in remembrance.

Attachments

• Nechells Dog & Partridge Ashted Row 1961.jpg
    Nechells Dog & Partridge Ashted Row 1961.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 80
At the back of Rackhams by Bull Street and North Western Arcade there was a hotel called The Caledonian, does anyone know what the name of the pub it was changed into?

Back