• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

When I saw the first photo, I immediately questioned the date of 1950 because of the name Britannia Building Society over one of the shop fronts. The Leek and Moorlands Building Society did not become the Britannia (now part of the Co-Op Bank) until 1975. However the cars and clothing did look 1950. With a bit of research I found that there was an Oldbury Britannia Building Society in existance at that time but the shop front does not look big enbough to take that name.

What I always find amusing is that Boots had 'cash chemist' on the sign - what was the alternative I wonder? Talc and eardrops on the never never?

What I always find amusing is that Boots had 'cash chemist' on the sign - what was the alternative I wonder? Talc and eardrops on the never never?

Actually, Shortie, yes. Most small shops when Boots was founded allowed sales on tick. It was the only way they kept the customers in those days. I think it was in Ned Williams' book on the history of the Co-op that I read that one of their branches, the manager alowed sales on tick against the rules because customers had to keep coming back whereas when they had money thay went to other shops.

David
There must have been an earlier one with the saem name. Kellys for 1950 gives;
Britannia Building Society (F. E. Carter F.C.I. manager),Britannia ho. Broad st 15. . Midland 7058

Charlie, what was the pub? I could see 'Arms' but couldnt see what came before it. Great series though.

The Queens Arms Carolina, the one down...erm...Newhall Street I think.
It is a great series isn't it? I'm really enjoying it but have to record it so that I can concentrate on the plot rather than the locations!

Yes its a great series - I have to have the subtitles on so I can really understand what they are saying. There are some good ones at the moment, I am enjoying Revenge and The Killing - sorry off topic I know.

a1.jpeg ----a2.jpeg
These two were in the newspaper about a fortnight ago.
The first one is the Circus arriving and travelling down Braod Street in 1957, and the second one is the opening of a new tandoori restaurant in 1985. Because the first pic is Broad Street I assume the Tandoori is as well but the article does not say where it is or the name of the establishment.

I really do not know Carolina, perhaps one of the better equipped members will be able to tell us of any restaurants that opened in that year.

What fun the circus used to be, too us kids who only had 2 black and white TV channels, and "Cowboys and Indians were the big box office draw of the 50's.
paul

Easy Row, about 1917.jpegAbout 1916-17.
I have posted this on the Broad Street thread because very early in the thread Easy row is/was mentioned.

a1.jpeg
No date with this one I'm afraid, perhaps someone can date it by the nearly completed tunnel.
I think the Hall of Memory looks very nice on this photo.

Say what you like about the total reconstruction of old Brum, but by God you have to admire the monumental engineering which took place.
paul

The crane in Stitcher's photo in post # 541 must be the start of building Alpha Tower. Viv.

Yes Viv of course it is I kept thinking Holliday Inn but I knew the building had its own name and I could'nt think of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stitcher. That would date the photo to about 1969 as that's when construction started on Alpha Tower. Viv

5 Ways.jpeg
Who knows the story behind the 5 Ways clock? I will tell you, it was erected in honour of the first coroner of the borough. His name was John Birt Davies and he held office for 36 years. During those years it is said he sat through 30,000 inquests, never took a holiday never had a deputy and never spent a single night outside the borough. He was 79 when he died in December 1878.

The statues look familiar. Were they Charity? Maybe Honesty too? Just have a vague memory of passing this on the bus though 5 Ways. Seem to remember a statue like this in front of the hotel. (I think the hotel would be where the cameraman was standing). The hotel had a different function when it was built but can't remember what that was. Viv.

The hotel was built 1959 as TI House, head office of the Tube Investments Group (Tubes Rocky Lane, Accles & Pollock Oldbury, Ralleigh Cycles etc).

The statue would be Joseph Sturge, chemicals manufacturer and philanthropist

Last edited:
TI House (Tube Investments) was indeed there in 1959 as I worked there as a temp for a time. It later became the Swallow Hotel.

Judy

The hotel was built 1959 as TI House, head office of the Tube Investments Group (Tubes Rocky Lane, Accles & Pollock Oldbury, Ralleigh Cycles etc).

The statue would be Joseph Sturge, chemicals manufacturer and philanthropist

Thanks all for the info. Memory's not quite as dodgy as I thought. These photos certainly give the old grey matter a shake up! Thanks for posting Stitcher. Viv

Back