• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street Station From 1854

Kev, the 'environmentalist' was standing on each of the four corners in turn I would assume, hence my earlier wondering about the Burton's shop-where it was.

Stephenson Place was a 'one way down' access at or by that time. If you look at the photos on Mark Norton's website the traffic is four-deep travelling onto Navigation Street at the other end. Also, in all of the views of the old station none of the traffic signs could be seen if cars were travelling "up".

Richie.

I took these screenshots from the Michael Portillo Great Railways TV episode (Walsall to Bournville). The was helpfully posted by Richie on the Cadburys thread. These are of New Street Station which was featured in the programme. not sure of date, but this is probably as good a place as any to post the pictures. Viiv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902846.023089.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902862.623669.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335902875.758429.jpg

Sorry if i sound dumb but How do you do that Vivs ?? taking photos off screen ?
ragga
:crushed:

I'm using an iPad Ragga. I watched the prrogramme on iplayer (on iPad), stopped it at the frame I'm interested in then took a photo using iPad camera. These are saved to your photo album, then I uploaded via Tapatalk. It's quick and easy. But never done it on a laptop or pc. Viv.

Hi

Tv Photography not perfect but its a way out if you unable to get anywhere .
Just a few I took of the London Marathon. Most Modern TV's can freeze frame.
I photo via Digital Camera and Bobs your Uncle. I leave the freeze frame Symbol
via Virgin. Its a horrible job to remove with Paint brush and those othervTools.
I agree older TV's no hope

Mike Jenks064.jpg065.jpg066.jpg

Taken off my laptop running BBC iPlayer - pause - Windows Snipping - saved it - upload to Coppermine - then to here.
Almost the same view as the middle pic in #117 but slightly different.
In 1967 I caught a train like the one in the pic on a long rail journey to Berlin - I did change trains on the way though...;)
new_st_steam.jpg

Last edited:
To answer a previous question. The way I take images off the TV is to play it on iplayer. Stop at the point you want to copy. Then press Control+PrtScr together. This puts the screen image on to your clipboard. You can then paste it into any program like Word or Paint. You will find the Paint program under Accessories on your All Programs list. With Word you will get a .doc file but Paint will give you a .jpg.

Thank you all for your kind advice on photographing stills from tv
i do have a ipod where i do store all my music files on and where
i watch tv when im away from the television also i do have the new
virgin tivo box, wonder if it can be done on there ? i think the way
oldmohawk looks the easiest though so i may give that a go .
thanking you all ragga
:encouragement:

What I really love about the #121 picture is it covers so many elements of the excitement of a train journey; the steam, the buffet trolley, the enormous engine, the brown signage and the big clocks, the great arch over the station. So much in one photo. Viv.

Regarding our railway memories over the past 50+ years for me, and in connection with my posting on the Cadbury's Railways thread, Mr. Michael Portillo Esq of the Great British Railways programme is hosting a radio documentary this coming weekend about the Beeching Railway turmoil: BBC Radio4 Saturday 5 May at 8.00 pm:"The Archive Hour".

What I really love about the #121 picture is it covers so many elements of the excitement of a train journey; the steam, the buffet trolley, the enormous engine, the brown signage and the big clocks, the great arch over the station. So much in one photo. Viv.
Looking at the photo again I feel the same. In the early 1960's I remember often catching the night sleeper trains to Glasgow, a 'British Rail' cup of tea and a biscuit, then tucked up in bed, to wake up in Scotland next morning. I seem to remember some verse mentioning 'crossing the border bringing the cheque and postal order'. I don't think they write verse about the trains of today, and today's trains are so fast they maybe don't have sleeper trains.
oldmohawk

again so iconic , though made in 1936 (the black and white steam train film) it was my perception of the 50's and early60's.
paul

img001.jpg

This is picture of The City Birmingham Holiday Express take Monday 29th July 1957 at 09.57 Platform 3 New Street Station Rhyl/Colwyn Bay/Llandudno.

Four of the days Rhyl/Colwyn Bay/Llandudno, London, Matlock/Buxton,& Brighton was the Friday.

I think it cost £5.00 for the week.

On the FRiday trip to Brighton I met a girl who asked if I would tune into the Platters on the journey home which I did.

I dated her and married her Feb 1959 and we are still together 53 years later.

We had good weather the whole week

What a great story NEVILLE thanks for posting, me personally did't get to see the sea so to speak till after my 15th birthday when I travelled to Rhyl and stay 2 days took all I had earned for 1 mth but it was great.
paul

New St. Stn. 1904..jpg 45273PassingCadburysSdgsFrame.jpg
Not strictly the correct thread for these but I only have the two. The first is New Street Station in 1904 and the second one merely says "passing Cadbury's".

34.jpg

Would this photo of a Scrab taken in Queen St ?? i remember seeing these Vehecles buzzing around Lawley St .
I also wondered wether you had to have a full driving licence to drive them .
ragga
:courage:

milkman.jpgnew st.jpg

Photo 1 .... love to know the history of the milkman on New St station , would he had been meeting the milk train off platform 12 ??
Photo 2 .... was that little boy you on platform ??....... love to know that too .
ragga
:unconscious:

The schoolboy has an emblem on the cap=belonging to some private school in the area? I would imagine those trunks and heavy suitcases on the wagon are his. Quite a posh school I would think looking at the material. At my institution all we had were the black gaberdine(?) which would get heavy as h*ll in the rain and the belt got all knotted!

Back