• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

Hi Lindylou
Coming down from the swan towards sheldon the Coventry road splits with what i think is a garage in the middle, that is where B/G was, just as you pass
Brays rd on the left. If you google Brays rd it shows a garage in the middle.

Sorry for the confusion.
stars

Hi Lindylou
Coming down from the swan towards sheldon the Coventry road splits with what i think is a garage in the middle, that is where B/G was, just as you pass
Brays rd on the left. If you google Brays rd it shows a garage in the middle.

Sorry for the confusion.
stars

Hi stars, thanks for clearing that up, I know exactly where you mean now ...No need to google it... I can just look out of my front window :encouragement:

Image0859.jpgImage0307.jpgCoventry Road and New Coventry Road.jpg
1. Making the roof higher over the pumps to stop damage from high lorries
2. Showing the garage and the still unfinished building work (eyesore) behind
3. Aerial view

Hi Lindyloo
Thanks for taking the photo's. Just a bit further down that Rd past where the picture house used to be
on the right used to be a Heavy haulage firm called Caudles, where my father worked. I also did a bit on the building
of the shops opp, which were built by Richard Costains. Also Lin i see you are researching the Cartrights, did they have family on the Radleys, Sheldon.

Thanks stars

Hi stars, Those photos were actually taken over the last couple of years. The "eyesore" bit is a development of Apartments, but halfway through the building process, the funds were withdrawn and building ceased. It remained in limbo for a long long time and then recently a firm started taking down the mid section and I believe they are now carrying on with building the other section closest to the New Coventry Road.
I remember the name of Caudles, Mom used to work in the newsagents in those shops you mentioned and a lot of the drivers used to go into the shop. Mom would probably remember your father if he was there after the shops were built. I remember one driver, we used to call him Taffy, Dave was his proper name and I bumped into him about 5 years ago at the Tyseley Railway Club..
We have chatted about the Cartwrights before stars, mine came from the Black Country and as far as I know had no rellies over this way.

I have just found a couple of early photos of "The Whirlwind" but I cannot make out if the Burgess and Garfield name is showing.

Coventry Road 1967.jpgCoventry Road 1973 with new underpass.jpg
1. 1967
2. 1973 with the then new underpass, which has now been filled in and replaced with a surface crossing.....thank goodness !!!

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Patricks the printers, at the end of the row of shops?

Does anyone remember Patricks the printers, at the end of the row of shops?

If I've got the right shops, yes. To the left somewhat was a butcher and a grocery store which my mother used. I remember the "coupons" we had to produce to make purchases. No coupons, no sale! Then of course further down, the fish and chip shop and a barber shop. Lots of others but memory gone. Wasn't there an electric sub-station next to Patricks?

OldBrummie.

Did anyone go dancing at the church hall at the top of Bilton Grange Rd. in Moat Lane in the sixties. It was held on Tuesdays I think. All rock and roll and twisting.
woofy

Hello stars,a driver i worked with Bob Braid drove for caudles many years ago,
they had some of the biggest fleet of trucks next to pickfords.
I did my HGV training down the road happy days. regards Derek

Hi Derek
I also did my HGV training down the road , with Birmingham Training Group. My dads name was Syd, also there was a Dennis worked at Caudles, and i think a forman or gaffa called Sammy.
Because of the size of the loades they had drivers mates. I remember my dad was driving an ERF carrying a load of Britvic drinks and
was on the motorway when his throttle stuck down, before he knew where he was his truck turned over, The police came from everywhere
and removed crates of Britvic by loading up there car boots, ( for safety reasons they said) anyway the cab of the truck was made out of fiberglass
and was demolished. The police said to a man, has the ambulance been and taken the driver away, to there suprise they were talking to my Dad who
was very very lucky to have walked away from this very bad accident. In the school holidays i used to go a lot with my dad on his trips all over the country
taking large machinery and even a steam train to a private collector who had rail tracks laid down in his very large garden. I to was a HGV
driver for many years. Happy days.

Regards Stars

Lindylou
Do you remember where about the GPO sorting office was in Sheldon, I seem to think it may
have been by the picture house. i believe it was amalgamated with Redfern rd Tysley in the 70s sometime
have you any ideas.

Stars

Stars, I know the GPO Exchange was there, but whether it was a sorting office as well, I don't know...It is in Redfern Road now...I will ask my Mom if she remembers.

Lynne

Hi Stars, I asked Mom but she didnt remember the sorting office being by the picture house, but I will try and find out where it was.

Hi Lynn
Thanks for asking. My brother was over at the Tysley office and he said there was a plaque on the wall there saying about
amalgamated with Redfern rd Tysley with the one at Sheldon but could not remember the date.

Thanks Stars

Re The Ship Tea Rooms - I have spoken to the chap who gave me the photos in post 255 and he said The Ship Tea Rooms were opposite the Three Horseshoes.

I moved into Sheldon Heath Road in 1948 at the age of 1. I vaguely remember the farmhouse in Garrets Green Lane. As far as I can remember it would have been just before the first of the houses after Meon Grove.
I also remember the Chestnut tree which stood near the Junction of Sheldon Heath Road and Garretts Green Lane being removed by explosion. I think that they (possibly the council) overdid it a little and some windows in Sheldon Heath Road were broken.
The community hall off Mickleton Avenue was called Hidcote Hall since it was actually reached from Hidcote Grove.

Hugh

Just picked up some posts about the GPO sorting office in Sheldon. My Dad was a postie in the 50's and 60's and his sorting office was at The Swan, Yardley (I think it was on the main Coventry Road). He would catch a bus from there to the start of his "walk" which stretched from The Wheatsheaf to Olerenshaw/Arden Oak Rd then back to the sorting office to pick up his second delivery which he would do on his bike (since his load on this delivery was much lighter). He would the go home to fix the inevitable puncture and catch up on some zzz's.

John

It was a post office on the Coventry Road with the sorting office at the back with the entrance in Willard Road, and I think one of the Donovan brothers was one of the doctors used by the Post Office.

talking about the shops corner of cockshut hill there was also a hardware shop run by Ron who lived in a bungalow in Barrows Lane. I remember Jobs the newsagents

Went to Cockshut Hill School in the 50s Remember the shopping center and got the sports paper at Jobs. Lived up the street on Moat Lane.There also was a news agents on Barrows lane I think on the corner by the round about. i will drive down ther to day ON GOOGLE John Crump OldBrit Parker, Co USA

Back