• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Viv, one of the smaller shops was a dry cleaners in the early 1960s, my friend from school worked there.

Hi Lynne. Don't know the date of the main Co-op building, looks about 1960s maybe. So Co-op probably moved out of the shops alongside, once supermarkets took off. All speculation on my part! Viv

Hi Viv, you are probably right, I left Kingstanding in 1964 and by the time I went back the small shops had changed ownership. They seem to have changed many times since.
Lynne.

I remember Kingstanding Circle when it looked like this. Nearly as many buses as people in the scene.
Kingstanding__Circle__50s.jpg

Phil so do I. I used to be on the bus every Saturday and Sunday and passed there on the way to Foxhills. Jean.

Hi Keith,
The photo does look slightly unreal and it is probably early morning. Looking at the back gardens in Kings Road, I seem to see what might be lines of washing in the gardens. When I was a youngster most women seemed to have a 'washday' on Mondays, so maybe it could be a Monday morning.
The railings around the circle had been removed in a 'scrap metal collection' for WWII, but I think they were replaced later in the 1950's, but have since disappeared when I looked on streetview.
The ornate arch on the left side of the photo was the 'entrance' to the Kingstanding Pub which has not yet appeared in the 'Another Old Pub' thread.
Finally, wheel tracks across the grass in the foreground - probably caused by a hand cart ?
Phil

fancy demolishing this lovely building and replacing it with the pub thats there now...

the kingstanding pub..image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
All the pubs like that are on the way out, so sad it just like the bowling greens which these great pubs had just fill them in and its a car park ;0( which no one can use as they cannot drink & drive ,Ho & the pint cost more than a gallon of fuel !!!!!

Lyn they should demolish the pub that is there today!!!!. The other was a lovely building although I never went in it.

Lyn they should demolish the pub that is there today!!!!. The other was a lovely building although I never went in it.

totally agree with you jean. i was just reading that the old pub was also used as a hotel..given the fact that we now have travel lodges springing up all over the place including one on the aldridge road i reckon people would scramble to stay in the old pub now...

lyn

Last edited:
We had one of those Silver Cross prams, superb supension. Agree Jean, would never have occurred to leave my kids' pram unattended. Just remembered there was an incident in "Call the Midwife" series last week, so baby snatching wasn't unknown. Viv.

hope this is a new one to this thread..

the odeon cinema just prior to opening dated 1935

image.jpeg

the settlement on the kingstanding road dated 29th oct 1934

image.jpeg

Great pics Lyn. Love the kids on the steps to the cinema - "what yer doin?". I thought I remembered a different frontage to the settlement, with a front entrance and there you have it! This is the up to date pic from one of your earlier posts, Lyn. Shows the settlement's been extended quite a bit. Vi.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329574206.919934.jpg

hi viv..thought i would sort a few pics out today as ive been quiet of late lol...yes i thought you would like that older pic of the settlement..it was so small in the book i was looking through that i nearly missed it...glad i went up and took that recent one now like we can compere the two...

lyn

looking at this old map there is a buriel ground showing..just wondered if anyone knows anything about it...to the left is all saints church but its a step away so im not sure if it is anything to do with this church..looks to me as though the playing fields could be near to where the buriel ground was..

lyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

thanks for that viv..i shall be out and about tomorrow..in the meantime i dont think that ive posted this pic on this thread..showing beech cottages and the post office complete with telephone box and pillar box...hare and hounds to the right...the cottages to the left of the post office have now gone...

image.jpeg

thanks for that viv..i shall be out and about tomorrow..in the meantime i dont think that ive posted this pic on this thread..showing beech cottages and the post office complete with telephone box and pillar box...hare and hounds to the right...the cottages to the left of the post office have now gone...

img069-1.jpg

Exactly as I remember the Post Office Lyn. The post box has one of those stamp machines attached to it too. You don't see those anymore. The cottages have really nice brickwork and I like the window frames. Altogether there were quite a lot of cottages under the Beech Tree name. I think many more than just those that were demolished to the left of the PO. The PO had a good sized piece of land attached to it at the back too. You used to take your life into your own hands crossing the Kingstanding Road to get to the PO. Viv.

hi viv...yes there was about another 3 or 4 cottages to the left of the post office...such a shame they were demolished...oh wish me luck im going to try and find this buriel ground over old oscott hill way...

lyn

HI TOPS
Yes i do beleive its still there my relatives was in there ; my cousins the smarts the butchers as they was in those days
first my uncle then my aunt his wife ;it was sad because one was up stairs living there and the other one was down stairs and it got to a stage where my auntie never reconised my uncle bill because she was so bad mentally ; bill died first and secondly and eventualy she died she never relized that bill was upstairs whilst she was down stairs and that he died ; it was sad my other younger cousin tryed to carry on the bussines but failed
he even opened a deep freezer shop and a butchers shop in witton and one at the top of king standing rd with a partnerbut it failed because the other person was abit crooked and started to fiddle the bussinees so he closed it down and went there seperate ways he later became a manager at wlter smiths the butchersin the circle some years back ; where he is now i do not know i have not spoken or seeen him many years ;
astonian

morning moss...no i didnt know that...do you know where abouts it was in hospital st..

lyn

Good luck with Old Oscott Lyn!
On this site there're details of Beech Tree Cottages in 1921 when they were all auctioned off in 3 lots. https://www.perrybarrbeyond.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/07 - Baylis - Bellairs.htm

It looks like there was once 14 cottages. As a separate lot, the PO was listed as a shop and had land attached. I expect some were demolished in the process of developing Kingstanding in the 1930s and the ones next to the PO in the 1960s photo would have been demolished maybe in the 1970s. I've extracted the auction info from the site:

Description from the Auction Sale Catalogue from the Perry Barr Estate, Birmingham 1921 Holly Lane, Erdington In the Parish of Perry Barr, in the County of Warwick, Staffordshire

BEECH TREE COTTAGES
A block of Seven Freehold Cottages With gardens, situate & known as 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 15. Brick built & tiled, each with 2 bedrooms, living room, scullery etc. Companys water to each. All let & producing gross total rent of £88. 8s. 0d per annum.

No 9 Mr George Hartle £13. 00. 00
No 10 Mr E Miles £13. 00. 00
No 11 Mr H W Compton £13. 00. 00
No 12 Mr A L Wells £11. 14. 00
No 13 Mrs Summer. £13. 00. 00
No 14 Mr A L Wells. £11. 14. 00
No 15 Mr Lawrence £13. 00. 00
Tithe Rent Charge 5 shillings per annum

BEECH TREE COTTAGES
A block of Six Freehold Cottages With gardens, situate and known as 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 & 8
Built of brick with tiled roofs. Nos: 2, 3 and 5 each contain: - four bedrooms, living room, kitchen, scullery etc. Nos 6 and 7 each contain: - two bedrooms, living rooms, scullery etc., and No 8 contains, 3 bedrooms, kitchen etc. Companys water to each. All let & producing a gross total rent of per £78. 0s 0d per annum

No 2 Mr M Carneye £13. 00. 00
No 3 Mr A L Well £11. 14. 00
No 5 Mr A L Wells £11. 14s. 00
No 6 Mr E Curtis £13 00. 00
No 7 Mr Clayton. £15. 12. 00
No 8 Mr J Curtiss. £13. 00 00
Tithe Rent Charge 5 shillings per annum

BEECH TREE COTTAGES
Known as No 4 Brick built and tiled. Three bedrooms, Attic, Small Shop, Sitting room, kitchen etc. Companys water. Included in this lot are the two excellent enclosures of Arable Lane in the rear, being Nos. 257 and 248 on plan, and having an area of nearly: FIVE AND A QUARTER ACRES Let to Mr. J Ryan on a yearly tenancy at a rent of £27. 10s 0d per annum, tenant paying rates. Tithe Rent Charge 4 shillings 5d per annum

Back