• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gravelly Hill - Slade Road / The Slade

img227.jpg
I am posting this here because although it is a photo taken in Erdington 1893 I do not know the location.
It is A mister Henry Fowlers Farm (Holifast) and I believe there is or was a Holifast Grange or an estate of some sort.
We need one of the members better equipped than myself to pin-point it.

img226.jpgimg225.jpg
I must apologise because this is a two page picture and if I merge the pictures together it becomes too large for my scanner. You can see that the second half is not such good quality as the first one.
It is the scene after a hayrick fire on the corner of Grange Lane and Chester Road in 1899

View attachment 73674
I am posting this here because although it is a photo taken in Erdington 1893 I do not know the location.
It is A mister Henry Fowlers Farm (Holifast) and I believe there is or was a Holifast Grange or an estate of some sort.
We need one of the members better equipped than myself to pin-point it.

Sticher, there are quite a few papers, deeds etc held at Central Library relating to Holifast Grange. Not "my" Henry unfortunately, too posh!

img252.jpg
There are other threads about 'Prefabs' but these are stated to be on Slade Road in 1947. For that reason I have posted them on this thread.
This photo was in todays newspaper.

More great photos, thanks Ian. If my memory serves me correctly, there used to be a school clinic in between Highcroft Hospital cricket ground and the bungalows, well somewhere near there anyroad. I can remember going to the dentist there and having a verruca hacked out. I think the bungalows used to be prefabs.

Yes there was a school clinic on Slade Road. I remember taking my son there when he was about 9 to have his ear syringed because he had gone deaf in it. A dead ladybird came out of his ear, and he could hear again. The building is still there, but I believe it is a drug counselling service now. The prefabs weren't demolished, but had brick walls and a new roof built around them, so although they appear to be new buildings, they are still prefabs at heart.

Yes there was a school clinic on Slade Road. I remember taking my son there when he was about 9 to have his ear syringed because he had gone deaf in it. A dead ladybird came out of his ear, and he could hear again. The building is still there, but I believe it is a drug counselling service now. The prefabs weren't demolished, but had brick walls and a new roof built a round them, so although they appear to be new buildings, they are still prefabs at heart.

I went to the School Clinic to have a tooth out I lived in Mere Road. The prefabs I remember very well Micky Kenning who went to Slade Road School played football for the School and went on to play for Aston Villa and Wolves I still have the penny from the last Tram that went down Slade Road.

I went to the School Clinic to have a tooth out I lived in Mere Road.

This reminded me of my eighth birthday.

It turned out not to be the best birthday I had had up to them; and probably since.
I had a tooth out at school that day and when I got home, my new bicycle, the first two wheeler I was to have, was awaiting me. But my Nanny said I could not ride the bicycle until the next day due to my having the tooth removed and a there was the possibility of illness/cold/or whatever!
Needless to say the following day was pleasant and I made up for lost time. :friendly_wink:

The Clinic on Slade Road was once used as a Health Unit for local children. I remember it for the dreadful dental procedures carried out on children who attended. It was so barbaric that many people avoided going to dentists in future unless they really had to. Sun Ray treatments were conducted there also. Sitting there half naked with other kids wearing rubber goggles for about 20 minutes each session in front of bright lamps.I don't think it did anything to prevent colds, etc. You never hear of any such treatments as Sun Ray these days.

The Clinic on Slade Road was once used as a Health Unit for local children. I remember it for the dreadful dental procedures carried out on children who attended. It was so barbaric that many people avoided going to dentists in future unless they really had to. Sun Ray treatments were conducted there also. Sitting there half naked with other kids wearing rubber goggles for about 20 minutes each session in front of bright lamps.I don't think it did anything to prevent colds, etc. You never hear of any such treatments as Sun Ray these days.

Talking about 20 minutes, I remember standing in a queue at school waiting for the inspection. If you needed treatment they would give you a card with either 20 minutes stamped on (filling) or D which meant you had to have one out. It was great to walk out with nothing in your hand, but even when I got a card I never went to the clinic, I'd rather tie a piece of string to the door and slam it shut than go through that ordeal.

These prefabs might be familiar to someone. I don't remember them at all. They were/are on Slade Road built around 1945. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329821065.358592.jpg

Hi Vivienne.

These Prefab were replaced by the bungalows which between Stockland Green Junction and Fentham Rd.they back on to Highcroft Hospital if it's still there.

The route of the 78 Tram into Birmingham.

Thanks Ray. I think I know where you mean. I looked on Streetview and the hospital is still there - quite a forboding looking place. No sign of any bungalows. I can see newer houses so maybe the bungalows were also demolished. This is one case perhaps where the prefabs really were a temporary housing measure. Viv.

Her is that picture again, with a rundown of who's in it.

img011.jpg
Lto R
Harry Bonner. (Guvnor).- Myself.-Harry's son Steven in front.-Pete the Pole.-Barry.
-Margaret.-Graham.-Alec.-Vince.-Bernard Bonner & Norman Bonner, Harry's brothers.
I'm in touch with Graham, but if anyone know's where any of the other are, I would love to know.
The photo was taken in July or August 1958, just after I had finished my national service.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the photos Ian. No cars around in the old pictures and that's what makes a big difference when you look at the present photos. Yes, Zambodini...it was the Slade Road Clinic and it was indeed
a bit of a way down Slade Road from Stockland Green and above the prefabs. Many of us remember being "tortured" there with dental treatment. Very barbaric and off putting for so many kids who probably never went near a dentist for years and years after going there. They just pulled out teeth it seemed.

Oh my word Slade Road Clinic.....what a nightmare that was....they put me off dentists for life!

I remember the smell of gas mask and then walking home with Mum with wet knickers...(mine not my Mum's) :uncomfortableness:

Hi Patsi: You did make me laugh....sorry about walking home in a state. That place was so grim. Not only that they also carried
out sun ray treatment with boys and girls having the treatment mixed together with their tops off!

Hi Patsi: You did make me laugh....sorry about walking home in a state. That place was so grim. Not only that they also carried
out sun ray treatment with boys and girls having the treatment mixed together with their tops off!

I know they did all sorts of 'treatments' there jennyann........but I was just too hell-bent in getting in there and out again as quick as possible to notice much else!:miserable:

It was a formidable place alright and as I said.....it made me scared of dentists for life, I have had a terrible time going to a new dentist whenever we have moved, lucky I have a wonderful dentist now but I dread the day he retires!!

Funny though, it didn't put me off all things medical because I went on to train as a nurse.:pride:

Hi Patsi:The thing I find interesting about places such as the Slade Road Clinic is that there were replicas of such clinics all over Birmingham in those days and the methods used for health care in them was standard. There are several identical stories recorded regarding people's memories from these clinics in Birmingham. Great that you went on to train as a nurse.

Yes indeed jennyann it was 'standard' care then.......thank heaven for progress.:encouragement:

When you do look back like this, it is amazing really the strides in medicine and health care that has been made in our lifetime.

Hi Patsi:The thing I find interesting about places such as the Slade Road Clinic is that there were replicas of such clinics all over Birmingham in those days and the methods used for health care in them was standard. There are several identical stories recorded regarding people's memories from these clinics in Birmingham. Great that you went on to train as a nurse.

Very true.

When I was at Highters Heath school we had to go to a clinic in Warstock lane for more or less everything medical.

I wanted to do a paper round at Westwoods, at the Maypole but it was the rule in Brum that you had to be thirteen and have attended a medical before you could be taken on.

Having been examined in Warstock lane I was told I needed glasses. I was mortified, the glasses in those days were designed by Harold Lloyd.

Bang went my "street cred" !

I must know you G T.I lived in Mere Road went to Slade Road School and left in 1957 Iplayed cricket for the school and football and won the javelin competition in the Coronation games at Jaffery Road playing fields and came second in throwing the cricket ball.Where you worked in the garage Mickey Kenning who played fot Villa and Wolves lived in the prefabs opposite the garage The cafe was Eastgates run by the familly I used to go down there nearly every night and pop in the Brookvale Pub for a crafty half.

hi Mike. I`ve just joined this forum & spotted your post. I lived in Doidge road, was in the same class as you (Mr Jones, teacher ) & also played cricket for the school. I can`t remember if we were any good or not, but i seem to remember that i was a demon bowler (but that`s probably my memory playing tricks) I see you`re living the good life in Spain these days :-} Dave Smith

Hi Graham. I feel i should know you & the other guys you mention but the old memory box aint what it used to be :-{. I used to go out with Christine Price for a while, but the "romance" didn`t last long, as i preferred to go out with my mates fishing & playing footie in Brookvale park. I lived in Doidge road, opposite the park & i reckon i spent more time in the park than i did at home!! I also spent a fair bit of time in the cafe next to the Brookvale pub ( can`t remember the name ) pumping the juke box full of threppeny bits & listening to Elvis. I now live in a very tranquil village in Durham.

Hello Smudger, we moved to Durham (broom park ushaw moor then later durham city) mid seventies and stayed for 10 years, enjoyed our time there but not too keen on the snowy winters.

Hello Smudger, we moved to Durham (broom park ushaw moor then later durham city) mid seventies and stayed for 10 years, enjoyed our time there but not too keen on the snowy winters.

Hi Nick, I vaguely know Broom Park & Usher Moor & i lived in Trimdon Village. I had a market stall in Durham indoor market, selling herbs & spices etc. Would happily put up with the snow than move back to Brum!! I see you used to live in Perry Barr. I have a half sister who still lives there, Gladys & Alan Heath, tho sadly Alan passed away a few years back. Smudger

Hi Nick, I vaguely know Broom Park & Usher Moor & i lived in Trimdon Village. I had a market stall in Durham indoor market, selling herbs & spices etc. Would happily put up with the snow than move back to Brum!! I see you used to live in Perry Barr. I have a half sister who still lives there, Gladys & Alan Heath, tho sadly Alan passed away a few years back. Smudger
Hello Smudger. I used to live off Perry Avenue near the playing fields. Lived in Durham but worked in Jarrow, used to take the Children to Hamsterly Forrest most weekends when they were little also used the market hall most Saturdays, probably even bought from your stall :) sorry to go off thread but memories keep flooding back.

More great photos, thanks Ian. If my memory serves me correctly, there used to be a school clinic in between Highcroft Hospital cricket ground and the bungalows, well somewhere near there anyroad. I can remember going to the dentist there and having a verruca hacked out. I think the bungalows used to be prefabs.

I can remember the dentist (should have been had up under the trade description act ) I got my own back when i vomited over him. Oh happy times. I also remember the poor chaps who were Highcroft patients standing behind the barred fence asking me to get some fags for them at the shop opposite. Is highcroft still there & is it still a hospital? Smudger

Dave. I cant be lieve its you after all these years,the last time I saw you was in the sixties ive allways thought of you and how you were getting along.
my e-mail address hope you have skype be glad to here from you.

Mike

Hi mikebrown, it would be best to remove your mail address by editing your post ....better to send it to dave in a private message

Hi Smudger. Welcome to the Forum. Highcroft Hospital was closed in 1996. Northcroft Hospital was built on the Stockland Green/Reservoir Road side of the very large site that was Highcroft Hospital. There are still a couple of psychiatric wards at Northcroft named after original wards in the old hospital, George and Eden. The main building was renovated and turned into condominiums. It has been a very successful project so far it seems. There is still a lot of redevelopment being carried out. There are several homes and flats on the site as well. I attended school at Fentham Road in the l950's and I passed by Highcroft Hospital on my way to school along Highcroft Road. You can see photos of the site as it was at: https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Aston

Back