• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost streets of birmingham

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Guys
i was just wondering does any body have any old maps or pics of our lost streets of brum
especialy around that area, which was close to the bull ring in times gone bye.
the street names i have are as follows;
Cotton row; and Cotton street which was off fazely street and of course which would have been even closer to the old bull ring in that period was
Engine street which was off new cannal street which i truely beleive would have been virtualy in the heart of the very orinional bull ring
tracing from bromsgrove st where the main old fish whole sale market stood and the under ground storage of the fruit and veg
and of course the holding of cattle brought from the country side to the hide and skin,
Cotton row And cotton street was cleared in the period of 1884 years,
Also Forge street, off mill lane which came from the ASTON ROAD PART OF THE CITY STRAIGHT INTO THE HEART OF THE BULL RING
Forge street of mill lane was cleared in 1886 ;
Here is a list of afew more streets that changed brum ;
from the past to the present ; Warstone lane east 1873; to todays Alfred st .
from William street , changed in 1898 to cranby street saltley .
And last of ALL was moses lane to todays name Croft rd Yardley . birmingham
so brum as changed dramaticaly and is still changing to compete with the europeans countries , is that a good thing or a bad thing ;
i think they call it progress today or am i behind times
all i can say is only the fittest and the richess will survive this planet
best wishes everybody and roll on the good climate changes they forcasted my bones cannot take these winter cold weather
Astonian ;;;

Astonian
Don't know if this is any help. Its from the Phyllis Nicklin collection, I think, but can't find it on the online site.
mike

HI MY FRIENDS
Changing of birimingham and its redevelopment and here are some of our lost parts of our great city
for better or worse ; for better i would say and we are still changing more rapid

streets; LOCATION ; CLEARANCE DATE ;

COACH YARD ]
COTTON ROW ] OFF FAZELEY ST 1884
COTTON ST ]

ENGINE STREET ] OFF NEW CANNAL ST 1886
FORGE STREET ] OFF MILL ST ASTON RD

Tayrich

Willis St Nechells ran from St James St to Great Lister St, it has all gone now. Even the little section outside St Mathews Church is only a walkway now.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Willis St - Francis St .jpg
    Nechells Willis St - Francis St .jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Nechells map x   .jpg
    Nechells map x .jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 391
Great Queen Street - now under New Street Station?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328982199.210016.jpg

An early 20th century view of New Street, showing the LNWR and Midland stations side by side, with Great Queen Street between them. Viv.

That is a fantastic photo Viv. Have you a more specific date for that photo? Maybe 1920's?

Judy x

Tayrich

Willis St Nechells ran from St James St to Great Lister St, it has all gone now. Even the little section outside St Mathews Church is only a walkway now.

Phil
Thanks Phil, at least I can now see exactly where it was.

That is a fantastic photo Viv. Have you a more specific date for that photo? Maybe 1920's?

Judy x

Hi Judy. A good guess! It's from Wikipedia and the description says:
The Victorian Station at New Street, Birmingham. In the foreground is the corner of Navigation Street and Hill Street. Early 20th century (possibly 1920's)

This is another good view too from Wikipedia

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328985737.897074.jpg

The description for this one is:
View WNW from Hill Street across to Navigation Street, above the ex-Midland part of the old station towards the tunnels. All roofs have been removed and new platforms are well advanced. 22 April 1965

So this might be where Great Queen Street disappeared to. But not sure. Viv

HI RICH ; VIV;
Another lost street for you both and the members post office place [ changed in 1874]
to ethel street birmingham;
Also warstone parade east ; changed in 1873] to alfred street hockley ;
my oh my how brum as changed an its still changeing fast than ever ; us brummiesmemorys will eventualy fade the way are city going ;
best wishes to you all ASTONIAN

A painting of Great Queen St which became part of Queens Drive when later the other half of New Street Station was built and sandwiched it in between the two half's.

Phil

Attachments

• City Great Queen Street Painting.jpg
    City Great Queen Street Painting.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 260
A painting of Great Queen St which became part of Queens Drive when later the other half of New Street Station was built and sandwiched it in between the two half's.

Phil

Thanks Phil. The painting you've posted is very interesting. If you'd put it on the 'where is this' thread it would have been difficult to place - unrecognisable. I'm enjoying this thread too. Thanks Alan for starting it off! I'm sure we'll (unfortunately) find many many more lost streets to add here. Viv.

HI VIV;
Very happy to hear you have liked the thread of lost streets; here is another one for you ; and amanda ;
lost st Brewery street ; [ changed 1880 ]
Present Name; ADAMS STREET DUDDESTON ;

clarkson street ; [ changed 1905 ]

A couple more, long gone but not forgotten streets, Spiceal Street and Jamaica Row that ran from the bottom of the Bull Ring to Sherlock Street.

Phil

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Spiceal St 1948.JPG
    City Bull Ring Spiceal St 1948.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 299
  • City Spiceal St 53.jpg
    City Spiceal St 53.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 270
  • City Brookes Vaults Jamaica Row.JPG
    City Brookes Vaults Jamaica Row.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 250
  • City Jamaica Row (3).jpg
    City Jamaica Row (3).jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 294
  • City Plan c1950.JPG
    City Plan c1950.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 343
Does anyone know where Colmore Street was - late 18th early 19th century? I keep looking but can't find any information/pictures for it. :adoration:

hi pollypops
the late widow of charles colmore whom was the land owners of birmingham in 1746
when a act of parliment enpowered ann; the widow of charles colmore to make building leases;
she gave her name to ann street; formally mount pleasant;
this was a high point on the ridge above birmingham and gave lovely views it went in front of wha e council house and in 1881
it was swallowed up by colmore row ; this named had emergedtwo years when the building of the grand council house
led to the replacement of momouth street; itself named only in 1850
momouth street ran from bull street to new hall street; so previously this stretch of colmore row had also been called had been bull lane
andbefore that new hall lane;
six years later after the act of 1746 ann colmore was leaseing land in edmund stret called after her younger brother inlaw ; until1778
has harlow street ;
best wishes astonian

I am not sure but the 1841 census lists it as in St Philips district (7) and refers to it being on the right hand side of New Street near to Temple Street and Queens Street. That puts it near Colmore Row but I am not sure if it changed its name or was just nearby.
Hope that helps
Janice

Colmore st would now be part of New St station, as shown on the c1839 map (in red)

map1839shpwingcolmorest.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help - what a shame it has been buried under New Street Station. I wonder if any paintings/pictures exist of it. Thanks again everyone.

Thank you for posting that map leslam - my relatives were there for many years around that time and I also had some relatives in Rea Street - which is also on there - thank you.

I cannot remember what census year but did find some one living in Bread Street when I did Google for it said it was now Cornwall Street. The person that lived there was a steel pen tool maker and I see that Joseph Gillott starting his pen business in Bread Street.

hi mike and pollypops
T he transcript i had put on the thread as come from a book published by carl chinn;
Its called the streets of Brum part One and thats what it transcribed about the colmore family
and how the family named the surrounding streets of brum around colmore row
so either our friend chinnie as got it wrong or the people whom drawn the old st maps ;
its abit like the electro roll of cencus,s they are never accurate are they now ; ? .
best wishes Astonian

The map on post #26 shows King Street which would become Stephenson Place when Corporation Street was put in and presumably the railway station. Actually the previous map also shows this feature but is not so clear.

A couple more, long gone but not forgotten streets, Spiceal Street and Jamaica Row that ran from the bottom of the Bull Ring to Sherlock Street.

Phil

Like the photos Phil, especially the last one of Jamaica Row, so busy! Another that I think has disappeared from this neck of the woods is Bell Street. I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of it either. Viv.

This sketch made using Westley's 1731 map shows the stretch between St. Martin's to Dale End as 'High Town' moving through to 'Beast Market' then on to 'Broad Street' before it reaches Dale End. The names have gone but I assume High Town, Beast Market and Broad Street must have all eventully become High Street/Dale End. Here's the sketch:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329229372.826029.jpg

Viv.

Thanks so much Judy. I remember watching that a few times when you first postetd. Such a great way of presenting the map. Hadn't fully appreciated it's a map drawn/painted by Bernard Sleigh in 1923 (his interpretation of early18th century B'ham). At the junction of 'High Town' , 'The Beast Market' and New Street is a toll booth. Lovely! And prisoners were kept in the cellar - not so lovely! That's a great clip. Viv.

Back