• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth

Can someone tell me where in Handsworth Wood these buildings are, please? I just can't place them.

yes the saga aint over yet i shall watchthis one with much intrest to see whom will be in charge of the sale d whom he devlopers was
ihave watch and followed onecase i knw of were in erdinton tyburn rd whe a miky mouse sale took on by the council and a ledged sale took place to a a london property tycoons
one day and sold back to a consortium of birmingham council and sold back in three weeks time back to the birmingham council and this particular property was a one hundred years old
which was also set fire to way back some years ago and its intresting to see its handsworth wood to me this time thanks mike for putting this high lights up on the forum
have a nice day best wishes astonian

Can someone tell me where in Handsworth Wood these buildings are, please? I just can't place them.

"A" marks where Hawthorn House is...View attachment 65856

The council's decision wasn't taken without a lot of pressure from local residents. We've had a campaign going for sometime to protect these historic buildings from developers. I would suggest that had the council gone ahead with the auction and Mr Singh had got the two buildings for £400,000 each he would've grabbed one of the bargains of the century. In fact, it could be argued that it's not in the tax payers best interest to sell the properties in the deflated market we have at present.

HI OISIN
Many thanks for yu making your statement on the forum and keeping us informed of the state of afairs
and it was well put indeed i hope you can keep us well posted
have a nice day best wishes astonian

Thanks Bernie and Oisin, now I remember! Lived on Handsworth Wood Road for a while, but I haven't been back round there for years.

Charlie, I think Milton Grange is on the corner of Wood Lane. I think it was once a children's home, but it is now where complaints about carers go amongst other things. It looks to me like a 1930's house, but it could be later. Its not a very exciting building.

Shortie

I went to a friends house in Kettlebrook this week and noticed he had painted the large chimney pots he had planted at the front of his house. I had noticed them before but never commented on them. I said how nice they looked and asked where they came from. He said he was a laborer to a builder in the 70's when they were clearing houses in Handsworth. The large chimney pots were sent down a builders tunnel and smashed as they went into a skip. He said he and his mate managed to smuggle a couple into his boot he took them home and they have been there ever since. How nice to have these treasures here in Tamworth.

I was born in Handsworth and have lovely memories of that time during the 40's and 50's. I left when I was 16, so memories of names of roads and places are a bit misted. Thanks to the info on BHF I can relive my childhood in Handsworth and when you mention names of roads I start remembering again. I remember going up Soho Road shopping on Saturday with my nan. My mom and nan shopped in Villa Road during the week, and as a treat we would go down Lozells road to Woolworths. I went to the Regal Cinema for the Saturday Matinee. I went to St Marys Convent School in Hunters Road for 3 years then to Soho College until I was 16. My nan worked at Anotints in Wretham Road, my dad worked in ? Row off Soho Road. My Nan and I used to go into "town" in the evenings just to window shop. It was a lovely peaceful place then. We would get the bus to Bartley Green to visit my auntie and uncle, then they moved to Weoley Castle and we would visit them there. Love to hear the history of Handsworth, which is something I never thought of during my life there. Thanks for the memories.

Browns Green was on the corner of Friary Road and ?..Handsworth New Road (the main Road that went to Hamstead from Wellington Road. There are blocks of flats on the corner- my husband & I rented one when we were first married.

Browns Green is still on the corner, the lodge is still there too. But it's on the corner of Handsworth Wood Road and Friary Road - Handsworth New Road is the one near Bishop Latimer Church. Until two weeks ago, my mother in law had a house just around the corner from Browns Green.

Morning all
i am just reposting some old photos and some new to the thread.

The_grand_Picture_Palace_Soho_Rd.jpg

Image7_The_Shell_Pool_near_South_Rd.jpg

Claremont_Rd_Handsworth_1963.jpg

35758130_Villa_Rd_Handsworth.jpg

Regards Stars

Oh I remember Barringtons - the 'junk' shop on the corner of Claremont Road. In the early 60's the bricks were painted bright yellow and not painted very well I might add. I have often wondered if they had anything worth looking at - but at the time it all looked just like old trash. Wasn't The Grand later called The Elite?

Shortie

Last edited:
Where was The Grand then? I only lived there for a short time, but I know of The Regal and The Elite, which we always knew as a flea pit too. Never went there, only the Regal and Perry Barr Odeon. There used to be a building in Baker Street which must have been a cinema at one time (I am talking 1962 here), it was used for something else in my days, but clearly was a cinema, although a small one.

Alan, we used to call The Grand the flea pit as well. Used to go to Saturday morning pictures there sometimes but it was always very rowdy!!! The Grand, if I remember right was on Soho Road further up from the Nineveh/Grove Lane junction. Might have been near the snooker hall. It was on the right hand side going up towards the Regal.

Judy

Last edited:
Hello Pamhol - I also went to Soho College. I was there until 1954 when I left to work as a shorthand-typist at Harry Astburys in Hockley. The last couple of years at Soho College was spent in the Commercial Department where the teacher was Miss Newbury. I wonder who you remember and what years you were there?

Judy

I don't remember any newish buildings on the way up to the Regal, unless the cinema was used as something else rathe than being demolished. The only new ones I can think of was the Littlewoods and Woolworths buildings but that was nearer to Grove Lane. The shops up to Linwood Road I remember, then there was a shoe shop, a butcher, a lingerie shop and possibly another one, and then it was the Red Lion. Further up there was the Co-op jsut before Rookery Road. Does this ring any bells with anyone? I lived in Linwood Road, No 10, from 1960 until 1964.

Sorry my mistake! The Grand was on the left hand side of Soho Road going up towards the Regal.

Shortie there was a Co-op on Soho Road because my mom used to have a club card to use either there or in the town.

Not sure what was on the other side of the road Shortie :culpability: It was a long time ago! I remember Littlewoods being on the right hand side but can't remember how close it was to the Grand. I know it was beyond Grove Lane going up to the Regal. I must have known someone who worked at Littlewoods as I went to a one of their Christmas Dances at the Farcroft one year.

Shorty and Judy, sorry for the delay but could not Log on, the new buildings on the right where built because of bomb damage,used to play (if thats the right word) as a kid amongst the half destroyed remains of a bank and Woolworths which was across the road from the Grand,I can also remember after the raid seeing Woolworths on fire.
Don't be fooled by the name Grand it really was a dump, they sprayed what I think was spray to kill the fleas during the interval.
Shorty you lived in Linwood Road the same time I lived in Dawson Road at No 12

Oh Goodness. I was only there for four years, do you remember the shop on the corner that sold wallpaper, paint, glass paraffin, etc? That was my mother's shop. Thank yo ufor confirming that The Grand was opposite Woolworths - I think the building might have been used by Walpamur - I seem to remember something like that with a large, long window. I might be wrong, it may not have been a Walpamur showroom, but it was not an ordinary 'shop'. There was also just further along, Norman Linton clothes, which seemed to me just for old ladies. Do you remember Steve Eagle, and David Sparrow? I think one lived in Whateley Road. Do you remember the shop, run by a lovely cheeful black lady in Dawson Road? I think her name was Mrs Ankle. I was always fascinated by her sweet potatoes, but at that time always called yams. Never dreamt that one day I would eat them - they looked disgusting to me at the time. Oh to be young again!

Brummie, I was born in Handsworth in 1936, Went to St. Michaels school, often had to sit in the cold Air raid shelter. Later attended Grove Lane School. Does anyone remember seeing Peacocks front partly demolished, with a canvas across saying "Business as Usual" ? Near the corner of Ninevah Rd. later , a yard sold "White Goods" my mother saw a table wringer, she enquired if she could pay half the cost that day and pay the balance at the weekend.she was refused.The following morning as we went shopping we saw that the bomb blast had wrecked the yard and all the goods, the owner came to my Mother and said "If I had known, I would have given you the wringer" memories !

Is that the park on the right hand side and the baths? I know Hinstock Road, or at least part of it was built later along with Philip Victor Road, so it might be. The lay of the land seems to suggest it is. Never seen one like this before, it's certainly a peaceful scene.

If you look at the baths from the side, Carolina, I am sure it's the building at the end of the wall - the wall I am sure was the park. The road from Holly Road does go downwards and then rises again towards the baths - will have to drive around there soon, but I am fairly sure that this is where I describe. If the building is not the baths, what could it be? Your other photo Carolina is a front elevation, the other one is a side elevation. I met my husband on the swings just the other side of this wall (if I am right) in 1963, so I have walked that walk many many times.

Shortie, looking at the roof of the baths, it doesnt seem to fit in with the other picture. I am sure someone will know.

p.s. Didnt know you were a swinger in the 60s. lol..

Back