• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown Row

mike ive just checked a 1944 kellys that i have saved of newtown row and number 69 was a tabonconists then so i think that pic caption is right...

lyn

Sorry Lyn, In 1964 and 1966 it was F.S.Watkins. Trouble is I looked at 1962, and then it was Ada Perks. Shows how much difference one year can make. Its's Sod's Law working again
Mike

Morning Lyn, Mike. Would these shops have once been private houses pre 1895.? Looking above the first floor windows the shop frontage seems to be something of an after thought. Reg.

Hi Lyn

I remember J.A Ryley, it was opposite Henry Corbetts (were I worked), Lower Tower Street.

Regards Carol.

I think the answer is possibly. Certainly the frontage is added , probably built over what was a small bit of garden, or an open area. This happened a lot. The building might not have been wholly private however, as often , particulalry in the jewellery quarter but also elsewhere, buildings contained living accomodation with a workshop or business in the back, possibly as extra buildings (though the 1889 map shows that no 69 (second from the corner of Manchester st) was of similar outline then to that in 1951)
mike

Thanks Mike. I was thinking they might have been houses because the windows above the shop frontage looked similar to the houses in Milton street. which is just off Newtown row. As informative as ever Mike "Thanks"

I am not sure what age the building is, but the site (no 69 which was earlier no 35) was in 1841, 1855 and 1873 respectively occupied by a staymaker, a furniture broker and a bootmaker
Mike

Hi Lyn

I remember J.A Ryley, it was opposite Henry Corbetts (were I worked), Lower Tower Street.

Regards Carol.

thanks carol..nice to know someone remembers ryleys....

and thanks again for the info mike...

lyn

Morning Lyn, Mike. Would these shops have once been private houses pre 1895.? Looking above the first floor windows the shop frontage seems to be something of an after thought. Reg.

morning reg..sorry i nearly missed your post....its possible of course...think i will sort out my earlier kellys and have a look at just what this building was used for..its got me wondering now...

lyn

This is from Kelly's 1895 The photograph shown was been altered by me and put on my web site The original was taken by Terry Weir the Aston Villa photographer which was taken just before being demolished, I replaced the broken windows and altered the facade and added new planks below window.
Its amazing how it managed to get on this forum?
John H

I worked at J.A.Ryley from about August 1963 to about March 1964. It was a good place to work and had some good people working there, but the same as everywhere else the wages for youngsters were pitiful. The building inside was really old fashioned from the offices in the attic to the storerooms in the basement. At that time the shop next door was a newsagent and tobacconist.

Phil

hi john thanks for that kellys look up...ive had that pic for over 2 years now..think i got it from one of the threads on here...

cheers

lyn

I worked at J.A.Ryley from about August 1963 to about March 1964. It was a good place to work and had some good people working there, but the same as everywhere else the wages for youngsters were pitiful. The building inside was really old fashioned from the offices in the attic to the storerooms in the basement. At that time the shop next door was a newsagent and tobacconist.

Phil

thanks for your memories of the place phil...looked quite a sturdy building....

lyn

I hope this is not going to get my wrist slapped, but what exactly was a stay maker? I have heard about stays along with corsets, but although I know what a corset was, but a stay? Can someone help please?

According to Wikipedia, which on this occasion I think is perfectly correct, Staymaker is just an obsolete term for corsetmaker

Thanks Mike, I had thought that, but why should someone advertise themselves as a stay and corset maker? Would it be for those who don't know what a corset is? (you gave me info on a Bernice Barber 1833, in Gt Hampton Street who was a stay and corset maker). I am writing about this Bernice and her husband at the moment, and I need to be as correct as I can be.

Tthere is a lot about Stays at https://thestaymaker.co.uk/ and https://18thcstays.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html but they don't seem to differentiate, other than by period. the only explanation i can find is from https://community.livejournal.com/regencyclothing/36023.html where Laracorsets (!!) states:
A Stay and a corset are the same thing in different time periods. Before the mid 19th century you rarely hear the word corset used since all "corsets" were stays. After the mid 19th century a "stay" was often used in place of the word corset bone. As in what sort of stays are in your corset or bodice?

This would make sense, and in your case listing someone as staymaker and corsetmaker would indicate that they made the whalebone stays to go in their corsets, as well as the garment (or as well as the instrument of torture, depending on your point of view).
Mike

Have been inside J A Ryleys many times collecting car parts,to get to the trade counter you had to go down a passage way to the left of the building and as has been said very old fashioned inside.
The photo of the three shops the lefthand shop was a butchers and run by a chap Harold,there was a thread on here a long time ago and one of the contributers was the son of that chap.The middle shop was a family run pork butchers but unfortunately i can'remember thier name and as everyone says the right hand one was a newsagents.

Dave

expressway being built at newtown row south of asylum road dated 1967

bookpics022.jpg

newtown row looking towards city centre. 1978.a few yards behind the city bound bus is no 78 the shop of william shillocks boot and shoe repairers where the original fa cup ws stolen from in 1895..

bookpics027.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos lyn, i like the one of Newtown Palace where i sometime took my mom to bingo.

Stars

great pics stars but the first pic with the caption of porchest st is wrong...its of almas st...showing the frontage of the crocodile works on the left..porchester st was on a slope as shown in your 2nd pic of it......im so glad you posted it though as ive been looking for that one..its a great long shot..

lyn

Here are a couple of the Newtown area.

A family scene in Newtown 1935. Dig the pram.

Image2_A_family_in_Newtown_1935.jpg

Tower Street Newtown 1890

Image1_Tower_St_Newtown_1890.jpg

Regards Stars

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
cracking 1890s pic of tower st stars..above the family standing i can see it say st nicholas schools i think so i would guess that this one is of lower tower st as thats where st nicholas church was...its only a guess mind you...

lyn

Lyn
Last time the St Nicolas School came up (I don't know if it was the same photo, but probably was) we found that it was the St Nicolas Mission House, which was in a court entered between 96 & 97 Lower tower St
Mike

mike you are quite right..thanks for jogging my memory on this one....it was the same photo i think..

lyn

Back