• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newtown Row

Yes,every Saturday afternoon my brother and l would go to the Globe and watch Flash Gordon,,Hopalong Casssidy etc,then after wards go to the pie shop just down from the Globe and buy a nice hot pie....a few years later l joined the ABC club at the Orient it was a really step up from the Globe real posh.. this would be the 1940s
It was Saturday morning at the ABC minors at the Orient, and Saturday afternoon at the Bughole (the Globe). An then across the road past the horse trough to the bake potato man.
Dave A

This is probably a question for Mikejee, can anyone pin point number 11 New Town Row please. This is where my 3 x Great Grandparents, Charles and Ann Matthews, were living from 1841 to 1875. Ann appears on many trade directories as a "Furniture Broker/Dealer". A map or photo would be great.

Phil

Phil
I am away from.home at present and do not have access to my laptop. If noone has answered your query by tomorrow, I wikk see what I can do

This is based on 1867 Post Office Directory notes & 1889 map, I am only a novice compared with Mikejee,
and I welcome his expert opinion on this.
newtown row 1867 PO.PNGnewtown-row-1889.jpg

Hello Rob, thanks for the map and P.O. entry. Number 11 is my 3 x great grandmother Ann Matthews. I assume "Walmer Lane brdge" is the canal bridge? Do you know where numbers 9 and 10 would be?

Thanks again
Phil

yes phil that would be the canal bridge and for anyone who does not know in a previous life newtown row used to be call walmer lane

lyn

i thought lancaster st was *Walmer's lane
pete lancaster st is showing on my 1828 map as far as i can see it was never call walmer lane...the end of lancaster st then became a small area of newtown row which ended at new john st west from there it became walmer lane all the way up to the high st which is now called newtown row ..however no 11 newtown row that phil is interested in was and still is called newtown row but like i said from new john st west it was called walmer lane..

lyn

Last edited:
pete lancaster st is showing on my 1828 map as far as i can see it was never call walmer lane...the end of lancaster st then became a small area of newtown row which ended at new john st west from there it became walmer lane all the way up to the high st which is now called newtown row ..however no 11 newtown row that phil is interested in was and still is called newtown row but like i said from new john st west it was called walmer lane..

lyn
Hi Lyn, just wondering if your map of 1828 has any house numbers shown or anymore detail? The oldest map I've found is dated 1889.

Phil

no sorry phil in 1828 very few properties as such on the 1828 to be honest i dont think proper numbering of houses started until late 1850s early 1860s and then we have to be careful with our research when looking at the older 1889 maps because during the 1880s many roads and streets were renumbered something that mikegee is very good at finding out..for instance i grew up at 118 villa street which i know was renumbered but before renumbering in the 1880s it was probably no 24...mike should be able to tell you if newtown row was ever renumbered..hope not because that will mean that your no 11 on robs 1889 map is showing the correct position..i am not very good at maps wish mike would hurry up back :D

lyn

lyn
Thanks lyn.for info.
it is only what i read on these sites.

aston Brook Through aston Manor - Preserving the History ...

Newtown, Aston New Town, New Town, New Town Row, - History ...

Hello Rob, thanks for the map and P.O. entry. Number 11 is my 3 x great grandmother Ann Matthews. I assume "Walmer Lane brdge" is the canal bridge? Do you know where numbers 9 and 10 would be?

Thanks again
Phil
No. 10 would be next to 11, and No. 9 would be next to 10 :), down to No. 1 by the Canal Bridge
My guess would be that 9 & 10 are not businesses, as they are not shown in the directory listings.

No. 10 would be next to 11, and No. 9 would be next to 10 :), down to No. 1 by the Canal Bridge
My guess would be that 9 & 10 are not businesses, as they are not shown in the directory listings.
Hi Rob, I know it must be an obvious answer but the reason for not been listed was less obvious, that's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it, hee hee.

Phil

In answer to Phil, the 1872 and 1873 directories give slightly more numbers in that part of Newtown Row and show that nom 15 was not on the corner, but it was either 17 or 17½. With these very early directories (pre1880) the date of the survey, as opposed to the publication date can be a little questionable, as can the numbers given, and this is particularly so when they are published by different firms (1872 PO directory; 1873 whites directory) . That is a possible explanation why directories supposedly differing by only one year show quite large differences. In addition to this the 1845 directory shows that court 1 is after no 10, which would make it seem likely that 10 is the building immediately before the entry to court 1. Following on from that this would make 12 and 13 both as parts of a factory, which the the 1872 indicates, and then1873 shows as belonging to the same family.
This would seem to fit, though am not sure of the numbering nearer the Brewery St corner.

1845 directory oart of newtown row.jpg
part Newtown row 1872 directpry.jpg
1873 directpory newtown row part.jpg
map c1889 showing numbering of newtown row c1870.jpg

In answer to Phil, the 1872 and 1873 directories give slightly more numbers in that part of Newtown Row and show that nom 15 was not on the corner, but it was either 17 or 17½. With these very early directories (pre1880) the date of the survey, as opposed to the publication date can be a little questionable, as can the numbers given, and this is particularly so when they are published by different firms (1872 PO directory; 1873 whites directory) . That is a possible explanation why directories supposedly differing by only one year show quite large differences. In addition to this the 1845 directory shows that court 1 is after no 10, which would make it seem likely that 10 is the building immediately before the entry to court 1. Following on from that this would make 12 and 13 both as parts of a factory, which the the 1872 indicates, and then1873 shows as belonging to the same family.
This would seem to fit, though am not sure of the numbering nearer the Brewery St corner.

View attachment 159503
View attachment 159501
View attachment 159502
Once again Mike has solved the case. I had an inkling something was not quite right with previous suggestions. Thanks Mike.
It's interesting to see on the 1845 directory my 3 x Great Grandfather Charles as Pearl Button Maker and Furniture dealer also. Then on the 1873 directory they expanded the business and now taken number 10 also.

Thanks again Mike and everyone who contributed.

Phil

so phil here is court no 1 behind your rellies places..still searching for some other very old photos i had from maybe around where 10 and 11 which showed the shops although i cant be certain until i locate them

lyn

newtown row no 1 court 34.png

so phil here is court no 1 behind your rellies places..still searching for some other very old photos i had from maybe around where 10 and 11 which showed the shops although i cant be certain until i locate them

lyn
Hi Lyn, wow, it would be a double wow, wow ( is that 4 wows?) if you found photos of the frontages of 10 and 11.

Thanks

Phil

lyn
Hi Lyn, I think the photo you sent is of house number 1 in court number 34, see attached, the arrow shows the direction it was taken.

New Town Row no. 1 court 34.jpg

phil i will check that tomorrow but i think 34 denotes the number of my photo...lyn

Back