• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells

No problem Tommy no offence taken we are talking 50 years ago I had a friend in Scolfield St back in the 50s-60s.Dek

well ive certainly enjoyed reading all the comments on nechells, the hill in spion cop always baffles me, as a kid we used to play on that and in the runner and cut behind, now to my memory the hill was quite big but i remember being told that it was sinking by some one inch? a year, i presume this to be true because to look at it now? well, its no bigger than a flippin pimple. nice to read all your memories.

who was that dek? i had many friends in scofield street, jack waldren, jonny beards, mack clayton, nice people down there, some not so nice of course but it was always a laugh, whatching joe taroni chasing the debt collector away, haha.

His name was Brian Harris he lived down in the dip almost by Cranbury St he would have been about 18 in 1960 I lived with him for a bit after a fall out with my stepdad. Dek

tommy, Thats ok we all need to learn, I have got things wronge in the past and like to be put right.

Your Post 180 ,I should have quoted it.

Thanks for that Winston had a look through some i,ve seen before, some not, some with the wrong location but on the whole very good although I feel someone is trying to make money out of other peoples photos. Dek

Thanks dek.
Thats why I save the pictures to my computer. We are in a recession.Every penny counts.

Winston

There are some very rare photos among that lot especially some of the pubs, there are a lot more that you can probably see on this forum, but there are quite a few that I have never seen before. Thanks for pointing them out.

Phil

I've just finished ploughing through them, I'm gobsmacked after looking for a photo of the Cromwell Arms for nearly 50 years I found this with what remains of our old house next door and the wall of Mathewsons scrapyard on the other side,fantastic, beware there are 1,602 photos, well worth the time if you have it.

I've just finished ploughing through them, I'm gobsmacked after looking for a photo of the Cromwell Arms for nearly 50 years I found this with what remains of our old house next door and the wall of Mathewsons scrapyard on the other side,fantastic, beware there are 1,602 photos, well worth the time if you have it.

lol john i was just going to take a look myself for the cromwell arms for you...i see you have beaten me to it...great pic for you and thank you winston for posting the link and as i have always said john...they are out there somewhere..

lyn

Last edited:
oh ye of little faith john lol...i am delighted for you as i do know how many years you have spent searching for pics of the pub and your house...great result..

lyn

Thank you all for your comments.I notice that the pictures will keep going to a lower page number as time goes by.It would be nice to buy all the photos and display them.But for the moment.just keep borrowing them.

hello johnforegate
re your post regards kids from Great Francis Street i'm afraid i was one of those borne there 1943 moved out slum clearance 1951 to another world (Kitts Green) grass and tree's every where we did have footware they were Daily Mail Boots if i remember right they were issued at Digbeth Police Station
all the best BWhite

Hi bwhite,i followed the same track as you .
We lived in Cromwell st and emigrated to kelynmead rd off the meadway,went to lea village school,
hatty days....dereklcg

nechells park rd shops.were great pics.i used to look at them a lot.many happy times were brought back.please anyone have saved pics re post them.i just found this one.
Nechells2520Cattells2520Grove25202520Woodman~0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so grateful for the photo of Adams Street, my grandfather, John Leaver lived there - he died in 1910.
Does anyone have photo's of Bullock Street please, my great uncle George Harrison lived there until 1935.

Regards
Shirley

Hi Shirley,

I have these early photos of Bullock St. I have seen others about but they are much later when the street was nearly all industry.

Phil

Attachments

• Duddeston Bullock St Romany Encampment.jpg
    Duddeston Bullock St Romany Encampment.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Nechells  Bullock St  Britannia  Proctor St 1951.jpg
    Nechells Bullock St Britannia Proctor St 1951.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Nechells 24 Bullock St 1905 .jpg
    Nechells 24 Bullock St 1905 .jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Phil & Winston, thanks for the fabulous pics. Especially #203 The Swan. I used to see that pub every day thanks to living in the block of flats you can see behind it, and going to Locco school. Lovely to see it again. Cheers.

Back