• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road Shops

I lived on the Rock from 1944 till 1968 and there was never an M&S. Perhaps you are thinking of Woolworths

Re post by John Foregate :

My uncle (Arthur Followell) used to be the manager at Jesters at the top of the Rock for many years - he probably broke the biscuits for your Mom!

Hi Folk, I must be getting confused, I thought that the building that is 189 -193 Alum Rock Road was M&S pre war, but I can't remember Woolworths. It must be something to do with getting old. regards Reg. P.S. I tried to reply last night but i don't know where the message got to.

Roverman

I have just found this photo of 189-191 Alum Rock Rd.

Phil

Alum Rock Alum Rock Rd 1959 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Just reminded me. Prams and push chairs were left outside shops, with babies inside, not taken in. The girl left to look after the babby outside Woolworth's in the picture only looks about four herself. How come the prams weren't stolen, not to mention the children?

Roverman

I have just found this photo of 189-191 Alum Rock Rd.

Phil

Dont worry Reg, we all get senior moments! Did you live on the Rock?
Hi WendyP, I lived in Bridge Road off the top end of Bowyer Road from 1942 until 1951 (with a break for National Service)but my parents were there until about 1954. Prior to moving there we lived in Rupert St. Nechells. From December 1951, like Dick Whittington I went to London to seek my fortune, I'm still looking !! Now Living in Lincolnshire. Cheers Reg

woolworths jan sale was good,they had lots of tat left from christmas cheap.The way they checked light bulbs when you bought them facinated me pete

It’s been fascinating reading all the posts on this Alum Rock thread; it has certainly brought back memories of my early childhood in the area. My family lived in George Arthur Road in the late 1950’s and on Adderley Road until 1961
We were the Brittain family who consisted of Marge and Harold with children Carol, Susan and Michael, we lived at number 28. We later moved to the café on Adderley Road by Saltley Gate which my mother ran, while my Father worked at the Morris Commercial factory. Some of the posts that rekindled thoughts were about the supermarket at the end of George Arthur Road on Alum Rock; I remember that there was a small grocer before it was knocked down and I think a Mrs Bagley ran it.

I used to attend a nursery on Edmund Road; I can remember walking up Alum Rock past all the shops with my sister. I seem to remember a fishmonger as I used to hate the smell of it. Some other memories of George Arthur Road was a man who used to keep pigs in his garden, I remember taking potato and vegetable peelings for the pigs. I only remember one family name on the street which was Jenkins; they used to look after me sometimes. I think there names were Rose and George with children Robert, Brian and David, I think my sisters were bridesmaids when one of the boys got married. One more memory was the swimming baths at the other end of the road and the public baths on Adderley road; I remember going there sometimes with my sisters as we never had a bathroom.

We then moved to a café on Adderley Road, right outside the café was a clocking machine, bus drivers turned their numbered key to record the time at the terminus. The café was very busy with men from the gas and railway works, plus many of the bus drivers/conductors too. The café was in a row of shops which also had a sweet shop and Pointons dental repair workshop which my uncle owned. There was also a pub across the road on the corner of Alum Rock Road which always seemed busy.

Another post mentioned the Morris Commercial Club, I do remember going there as a kid and having to sing in the stage for threepence on a Sunday night. Can anybody tell me where it was, all I remember it was up the Rock somewhere.
In 1961 the Brittain family moved to Brighton and brought a small guest house, we are a much larger family now, but all still know their Birmingham roots. I still follow the Blues (kro) as does my son who has visited the area and St Andrews a number of times. Thanks for the memories, Michael Brittain.

Hello Michael,
The Morris Commercial Club used to be opposite where the Grand Cinema was, looking recently at Google Street View it now appears to have been demolished as it is now an open site also where the Grand used to be is a petrol station.they were situated a little way past the junction of Highfield Road/Alum Rock Road going towards the Pelham. I also used the "Washing Baths" in Adderley Road, like yourself and many others we didn't have a bathroom. I seem to remember it cost sixpence if you wanted a small piece of soap and a towel, the attendant would clean the bath after the previous user, with a brush and some kind of paste out of a large tin, he would then put your "Ration" of hot water to which you could then add your own cold water.
Like yourself I left Birmingham many years ago but it is great to to bring back long forgotten memories via the various Birmingham History threads.

Regards Reg.

Thanks Reg,

I have looked on google maps and bing maps, I can see exactly where you mean Reg. Thanks for the memories of the public baths too, It brought back those times for my sister as well.

Michael Brittain

Hello Everyone.
Lovely to read the old memories of Alum Rock, I grew up in Ludlow Road from 1965 and lived there until 1988. My Mom & Dad had the newsagents on the corner of Ludlow Rd & Alderson Rd (Scott's). I went to Shaw Hill School and remember the shops along Alum Rock vividly. Jim Fitters butcher's, Arnold Moores' butchers, CH Brown greengrocers, Armstrongs ironmongers (mentioned in an earlier post). Cherry wallpapers, Wisemans on the corner of Parkfield Road, Holliers pet shop, Turned On Records opposite which then became Green Dragon Records about 1976 I think, Staffords for a hair cut, Shaws for anything electrical, and I haven't even reached the Rock pub yet ! I remeber our class from Shaw Hill walking from school first thing Monday morning down the Rock to George Arthur swimming baths ! Happy days indeed.
Rob.

... also a wallpaper shop. (Ray was the son of the owner, he has a shop at the Yew Tree now "Ray's Wallpapers"...

Not quite right, Ray Helas was, in fact the nephew of the owner, William Fletcher, who owned at least three shops called "Decorators' Supplies" (there was one in Erdington managed by his only daughter and another in Small Heath managed by himself and his wife , and there MAY have been a fourth) since before WWII. However his father was ALSO called William.

"Ray's Wallpapers" (jointly owned with William Fletcher's daughter Gillian) has long since passed to a close family friend and Ray Helas passed away about 18 months ago at the age of 80.

Rob...I think the Alum Rock Road shop was sold in about '64 - '65 so "Cherry Wallpapers" was probably the same shop.

Last edited:
I think the other photo you refer to shows a view up the Alum Rock Road with Ralph Road the road on the right hand side of the picture.

I remember a shop on the corner of Farndon Road called Barnbrookes, opposite was J Tambouro music shop.
When was this, Curlylad? In the 1960s when I was there, Ashton's toy shop was on the Farndon corner nearest Foxton, and first Gibbs then Mrs Henry's grocery shop on the corner nearest Clipston. Gibbs was where I tried the new fashionable drink Coca-Cola. It cost twice as much as a big bottle of Mason's pop, so I shared it. I pretended to like it, but found it much too fizzy. I only drink it now three days after it's been opened and most of the fizziness is gone.

It used to amuse me that the staff had a way of referring to their fruit and veg by pronouncing them backwards - "A couple of sananab, sir?" or "Have you seen our fresh segnaro?"

My Mom used to work at Teddy Haynes (both the Alum Rock/Lea Village shops) when she was around 16-17 (1962' ish). She remembers the backwards talking, especially referring to elderly ladies as a "dlo namow". :)

hi bikerman,it was known way back when as butchers backslang.
my Dad was a butcher i also had a mate who thaught us the bad stuff my dad did,nt
i still use it from time to time,i lived in the lea vill age area,just a thought you did,nt know a peter ginifer who lived in bordesley grn area...happy days dereklcg.

Think the pork butchers near the Gate was Perrys. My Gran used to take me there in the early 50s.
The dentist from hell was probably Warwick & King.
I worked in Highfield Road for most of the 60s & spent my lunchhours wandering up & down Alum Rock Road window shopping. (never had any money) but always found enough for a ham bap or pork pie from Braggs.

Do not forget the nutts family sewing machines shop ; and they are still going strong i beleive down in nechells
from alum rock
best wishes astonian

I think the sewing machine shop was Nutter Astonian. The butchers next to the Methodist church was Wilcox butchers.

The sewing machine shop was Nutts, my husband went to school with Stephen Nutt, they also had a shop on Chester Rd. Wylde Green, also one of my school friends lived at the back of the shop in Alum Rock Rd, her name was Susan Craythorne, I am still in touch with her.
Regards trebor (Rita)

Hi Rita thanks for the clarification my hubby's memory for some things uh! Sorry Astonion you were right. I think I remember the shop in Wylde Green being a sewing nut! How lovely you are still in touch with Susan.

Back