• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hughes Biscuits

A

angeleyes

anyone out there who worked there would like to know.around 1966 .1967

I left school aged 16 in July 1939. My first job started on September 4th the day after the WW2 started. My wage was a princely 17s 6d(87new pence). It was at Alfred Hughes Biscuit Factory, I was supposedly training for under manager,but I didn't last long. Strange to tell the Factory was part of Asociated British Foods group (Burtons Biscuits) and after a varied career I ended my working days at XL Crisps Ltd in Great Harwood, another member of A.B.F.
I am now enjoying the time I have left, busy doing nothing, except trying to find my long lost relatives, which is not as easy as it seems, especially when you only have vague info to go on. Still it's a challenge and keeps me out of mischief.

Hi Angeleyes,

I worked in the accounts dept in 1969 for about 12 months and I hated it, sorry if you have happy memories. The man who was over this dept was really friendly with a lady work colleague and if they could sit any closer at meetings they would have been joined at the hip. Sorry I hope you have some replies from the happy workers. I do remember their tomatoes on toast served in the canteen in the morning, Also their chocolate marshmallows.

Hi,
I worked at Hughes in about 1967 i worked on Quality Control as well as packing the biscuits.
It was a great atmosphere there and i made a lot of friends.
you could buy boxes of broken biscuits which were very cheap.

Hi guys
i am researching the orinional old biscuit factory in birmingham
aroud the 1925 era ;
For some reason when i am reflecting back in time ;
i have reasons to beleive it was on the addley rd by the hadley park train station could some one please give me some kind of guide on this please
many thanks and have have a nice day best wishes astonion ;

The 1921 Kellys shows:
Hughes Alfred & Sons Limited, biscuit & cake manuf rs.33-37 Dale end; 88 Moor st. (TA " Cracker;" T N's 6,740,6,741 & 6,742 Central) & confrs. 17 & 18 North Western arcade & restaurant proprietors, 10 Windsor arcade

Hughes Biscuit Factory was on Bordesley Green Road, almost opposite Burbidge Road (I went to school there). A neighbour used to work at Hughes and used to bring boxes of marshmallows, pink and white covered in coconut! Addlery Park Raiwlway was just down the road, past Meadway Spares.

Also on the other side of the road was Arthur Holden Paints. Can you imagine the smells - paint laquer mixing with hot, sweet biscuits!

Crypto Peerles were the last company on the old Hughes bicuit factory site Crypto came from Kings Norton factory centre what years i dont know,is the factory still there

Mau-reece

Looks like the site is now called the Connect Business Park. No sign of an original building at all along that side of Bordesley Green Road. I just looked on Google Maps.

I was at school from 1963 - 67, but our neighbour worked at Hughes, in the late 50's early 60's

HI GUYS MY TRUE FRIENDS
many thanks to each and every one of you for doing the research i cannot thank you enough
and sue; i really beleived in my memory , and you have proved i am not yet on the blink
mike and col ; you two are both true stars as well and mike you leave me speechless with the results you come up and provide us all on the forum for each and every one of us
my brothers will be very intrested in this information i wonder whether or nt if there is any sibbling alive today
from any one of them ;
thanks guys ; thanks a million ; best wishes astonion ;

My dad Alf Pritchard worked at Hughes' i remember him bringing home a 12inch square box full of broken bicuits .

According to the London Gazette, Alfred Hughes & Sons Limited, biscuit manufacturers, were still operating from Bordesley Green Road in 1972, but I can't find a liquidation notice, so I presume that they were either absorbed into another business or are still operating somewhere out there!

Maurice :cool:

hi sospiri;
yes they did they diverted into patterson and hughe,s cateruring and wholesale foods
way back then into bordsley i beleive it was just up from digbeth
one of the sons proposed to my mother and asked her to marry him , but she declined him way back n the fifties we tryed to track him down
but failed we came to a dead end until afew years back now regarding him and his family when i finaly found out but mother had died by then ; best wishes astonian

Alan, you're a mine of information as always! :)

Fascinating to have a personal link when someone asks a question right out of the blue. Hope you're keeping well.

Best regards,

HI MAURICE;
Nice to hear from you again ; i also hope you are well;when hughes branched into the wholesalers and suppliers
for reason i do not know when they took on patersons but they started to supply joe lyons resturants and the jelfs tea rooms around the city
and one in particular was in the arcade it was either burlington arcade or the great westeren which was on colmore row
there grand father had it he based himself with his tea rooms on the joe lyons shops
with waitress and there uniforms pinnies as my mother told me and one of the jelfs had one afew doors from the old snow hill railway for years then the jelfs started there own ware houses one at tyburn rd and the other at park lane aston cross where the police base is now at the cross
and there land went right back behind the shops on the aston rd north they kept all there silver table ware there as well as all there provisions
to supply al there shops in total betwen them they had thirty three shops around the city of brunm and aston ;and hockley ;
and i have recently learnt of a lady member of the jelfs did own a place in jamica row next to one of the coffee houses there way back around hat time called thebanna house which was to do with the jelfs i haveobtained a photo copy of all the jelfs members the brothers it said in the magazine at the time out side the coffee shop and the banna house where they kept the bannas ;
they sold some of there provisions of foods to the public i was told by my mother during the war years
i knew of these ware houses years ago as i had this info; given to me by the planning department the one on tyburn rd and the one on park lane i spent time in that one ware house at park lane when i was a nipper i used to walk around the piled high tea chest of tea and then when grand father was not looking i would hep myself to the chocolate tea cakes that you used to buy years ago and guesswhere they came from ; yes hughes
and it was in those days during those early days of the twentys and thirtys that old hughes asked my mother to marry him
silly woman ; she ran of with a no hoper and a boozer i am sure deep down inside she regretted it because all her life she was poor
because the jelfs disowned for her doing it was the later years of her mother whom kept in touch with her but the mother died her father deserted her for forty years any way maurice sorry for waffling on ; have a nice day best wishes alan

Good morning Alan!

No need to apologise for 'waffling on' as that's a very full and interesting account of the business and the family connection that couldn't possibily be derived from official records - great stuff. :)

Most of us make bad decisions at some points in our lives, some with more tragic results than others. That's life, I guess! Stay happy!

hi guys
Does anybody remember the hughes biscuit factory on bordesly green rd facing arher holdens paints just up from the adderly railway station;
and it was on the opersite side of the rd from the staion also did any of you ever work there
orinionaly it was patterson and hiughes factory ; whom later became patterson and hughs biscuits makers whom owned a food resturaunt with in the city
in the great burlinton arcade during the twentys and thirtys and became birminghams biggest food provideders around the commercial side of bussiness and i beleive they are still going today but on a smaller operation; but kept the factory i beleive to about the mid fifties before closeing down;completely
by then patterson i beleived disembarked from the factory or they just used the name of hughes biscuits makers through out the country ;
best wishes Astonian;;;incidently they got mentionion by the brummegan air record by chinny and stenty ; which i hope to get a copy alan;;

Hi Astonian
Our paths cross yet again. My Sister Joy Worked at Hughes Biscuits in the late
60s earley 70s. I also worked by there at a place that made tiled fireplaces, i cant
bring to mind the name. Hope you are well Alan.

all the best Stars

hi alan
i worked at hughes biscuit factory 1965 we used to be able to buy a box of broken biscuits for a few bob
i also worked over the road from hughes at a paint factory i think the name was wrights paint factory ( please correct me if i am wrong )
josie

Hi brummie nick
I believe it was Buryfield, i was there only for
a few months in about 1967 i think. Also i do remember those tins
of broken biscuits josietrue, my sister used to bring home. I remember
sorting through the tin looking for any cream ones or the odd choculate one.

regards Stars

The biscuit factory was Alfred Hughes & the paint factory was Arthur Holden,
They were both still operating in the early 70s.

senoraruz
you are right it was holdens for some reason i thought it was wrights ( put it down to age ) i know i worked at a factory called wrights and i am sure it was around small heath
josie

I used to go to Cherrywood School in Burbage Road, Holden's was on the corner and Hughes opposite. You can imagine the smell of the baking mixed with the paint making! My friends aunt and uncle used live in the house which was part of the factory on the main road. Her uncle was a caretaker. We used to have dancing lessons off her aunt as she was a great ballroom dancer.

A neighbour worked at Hughes and used to bring us boxes of little pink marshmallows with a biscuit base covered in coconut. What a luxury that was!

On a parallel track, my grandmother was in domestic service at the Hughes family home, at some time I think in the 1910s straight from school. The house was apparently in Moseley and I am trying to track it down.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Maurice
hope you are well i wish i could say the same about myself but unfotunately no
still not to worry,
Our new member is asking for help on mr hughes the biscuit factory ,surprize it may be and as you say the
records dont tell lies well i do not think so ,but i do know its true he the gentleman that asked as i said numerous times to
Marry him , he was the mr hughes and partner of patterson and hughes the very gentleman whom came around to there
Home and business,s and every time he would asked her, as you know i have said numerous times
Afew back on here we had a person whom there father was involved with the hughes and patterson business
but i cannot recall the forum members name, but i do not think he was on for long
and it was him whom brought it to our attention about them and confirmed mr hughes to us and me
I emediately contacted my family of brothers to inform them of our mr hughes but sadly two of them died more or less
justly of telling them plus my mother died it was to little to late sadly she would have loved to have found out
because she was sad and lonely after our father died for years
and she asked out of desperation to try and track him down but we failed
until our old friend out of the blue and confirmed he was patterson and hughes
we know pattersons are still going strong within the industry but hughes factory as long gone
making biscuits at bordesly green
best wishes Maurice my friend god bless you Alan,,,,Astonian,,,

On a parallel track, my grandmother was in domestic service at the Hughes family home, at some time I think in the 1910s straight from school. The house was apparently in Moseley and I am trying to track it down.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

welcome to the forum smithy...afraid i cant help you with this one but maybe one of our other members can...

lyn

Hello Alan,

Good to hear from you again and hope you are now recovering. I went down with this awful virus just before Christmas and have just about got over it now. My other half, Jan, is still coughing like a good 'un, and it's unusual for her to go down with anything as she is pretty immune to this sort of stuff. Relatives & friends in the UK & Brussels have had it too as well as here in Crete.

But to get down to Hughes, in 1911 the whole family were living at Packwood Grange, Dorridge. Alfred Hughes, 55, his wife Mary Beatrice Hughes, 52. He came from Huntingdonshire and she from London, they'd been married 28 years and had 8 kids, all surviving. One son, Howard Alfred Hughes, 27 is also down as a biscuit manufacturer, and his brother Bertram Arthur Hughes, 24, was Company Secretary.

If you put the company name - Alfred Hughes & Sons Limited - into the London Gazette site, you will find that in January 1922 there was some sort of legal hoo-hah going on in Court and involved an agreement between the Company and its Preference & Ordinary Shareholders. The Judge arranged a meeting at which he appointed Howard as Chairman, or failing that, Bertram, so whether there was a disagreement between Alfred & the shareholders I don't know. When I have a little more time I will check for newspaper reports.

Get well soon, Alan.

Maurice

Just had a quick look in the British Library Newspapers, couldn't spot anything that threw any light on the 1922 Court business, but there are so many entries that it could be buried deeply. But in 1929 they also had a showroom in the Windsor Arcade and were giving every customer a free tin of biscuits! They certainly didn't seem to be in any sort of financial trouble.

Maurice

Back