• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'take Me High' Film Locations

Kevin_Pitt

proper brummie kid
Hello Forum Members.
I am currently researching Birmingham City Centre locations used in the 1973 film 'Take Me High' that starred Cliff Richard. Being a keen cyclist and 'videographer' I'm planning to cycle around Brum with my camcorder to make a sort of 'Brum then and now' type film for Youtube. However I'm having trouble with one of the locations and was hoping someone may be able to help. Stills from the movie show a building that was used as Cliff's 'Brumburger' restaurant. Try as I might though I can't remember where it was. I can only assume it, and the church next door, has been pulled down. If anyone can identify the building and offer some background info I'd be most grateful.

Hi Kevin,i will get the ball rolling on this one.The church was The Church of The Messiah on Broad Street,and has long gone.The traffic light by the Brasshouse would have been where the front of the church was. Moss.

Hi Kevin, St Peters place, almost opposite Gas St off Broad st was a scene in the film which was redone about a dozen times! At the time I was watching it from the 15th floor of Rail House, the 17 floor building on the corner of Gas St, which had Ronnie Scotts below! It made us giddy watching the come down Broad St, swing around the corner, park up, jump out, run in, pause, walk out, climb in, drive off round the block again!
The shots in gas St basin was watched by moving across the office to the side overlooking gas st, and occasionally launching paper aircraft out of the window - never caught anyone of them on shot whenever i saw the film.
The black & white timbered building housed antiques and a medal collector, all demolished for the ICC development. The same applied to the buildings over the canal.
I was up there Nov '72 and got promoted? down to the 4th floor by Nov '73. so filming must have been spring - summer '73

Brian

Hi Kevin if you type st peters place in the search engine you will find all you need to know. Keep us informed on your progress.

Thanks to all who have replied so far, your info has been most useful. The area really has changed almost beyond recognition! Please keep the info coming especially if you have any memories to share about the making of the film or Brum in the '70s which may be relevant. I'm going to 'film' in the spring and will let you know once the video is uploaded.

hi kevin this project sounds most interesting please do keep us informed of your progress:)

Hi there Kevin,

i was a major collector of film memorabilia during the 1960's and 1970's:film posters, LP records, fan magazines, everything. As far as "Take Me High" was concerned I remember only to having all the newspaper advertisements (London press usually) and the film critics' reviews. If you would like me to post anything from the respective scrapbook you are welcome; I just may need a week's notice as the collection is kept at a local college annexe and can only access it Monday to Friday.

In around 2008 Birmingham Central Library did a one-day seminar on the film and its Brummie heritage-i might be able to find some details somewhere.

There are several excerpts currently running on YouTube, incidentally.

Hi Kevin good luck with your project, yes please keep us informed... I bet you did not expect to get so many clear and decisive answers and so much info' so quickly... :) brilliant , this site never ceases to amaze me with the personal past and present experiences and knowledge our members have about 'Brum' and it's history and how willingly they are to share their knowledge.

Hi Richie. I'm not planning a critique of the film but a couple of cuttings may be useful to include in my video: besides I'd find them interesting! Anything you dig up would be great, thanks, but please don't go to too much trouble. I have the film on DVD - it was given away with the Daily Mail a few months ago. I remember the movie being made as it was featured on Midlands Today (I was 13 at the time) but had never seen it: it was after watching the DVD that I got the idea to make a 'then and now' video. I'm becoming quite a keen 'Youtuber', if you'd like to see what I've done so far please see my channel (www.youtube.com/user/WalsallWatchMaster). I'm gradually improving, I think!

With thanks to everyone who assisted me with my first query - would anyone now be able to assist with the location of 'Baynes Electrical' shown in 'Take Me High' which show Cliff arriving in his hovercraft. Thanks in anticipation!

smashing pics kevin...all this should take is a kellys look up for the company from someone and you will have your location..

lyn

Last edited:
Couldn't be certain from the stills whether it was Baynes, Haynes or possibly Raynes electrical, so checked each, but no company of either of those names was in the 1973 Kellys.
Mike

hi
The scenes of the hovercraft were done at the old canal inside the GKN Screws & Fasteners works at Heath Street,Smethwick. I am actually featured walking down in one shot. I am not sure whether the site is still available for access as the factory closed a few years back. Cliff Richard sent photos as a thank you & also a letter which was printed in the GKN house magazine. Best of luck.
Dave Rock

Found it, thanks, it's on p 99 of my 2008 A-Z, what looks to be a branch off the main line Birmingham Canal in Smethwick. Having had a look on Google Earth it certainly looks like the right place, it appears to be in the middle of an industrial estate so access may be a problem but I'll have a ride over one of the days and mooch around.
Cheers

Thanks Dave. I've found the location, on Google it doesn't appear to be easily accessible but I'll have a ride over one of the days and have a look around.
I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers, Kev.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2180403

Hi Kevin - wasn't quite in my teens when this filming took place. But did venture down Broad Street with camera in mid 80s, unaware of the changes that were afoot. Link above is to a photo of St Peters Place I took. If you scroll down the page to where it has "Date Taken, September 1984", click on 'More Nearby' to see others I've uploaded from the same time

Thanks Mike. Some really interesting - and historic - photos there. I'm sad to admit that I worked in the city centre during the late 70's/early 80's and never thought to get out and about with my camera!

I have today visited the site of 'Baynes Electrical' (aka GKN) in Smethwick to find it inaccessible. The main gates to the site have been padlocked shut and although it would be possible to squeeze through, what looks like temporary fencing inside the site make it clear that visitors are not welcome. Thanks to all who assisted me in identifying the location.

Thanks again to everyone who assisted with this project which has changed somewhat since I started it last year. My original plan was to video a cycling tour around the city centre showing how various locations used in Take Me High have changed. I dropped that idea mainly because experience on Youtube has convinced me that very few people would bother to watch it! Instead I've posted the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-m7r_KsRQQ which I hope you will enjoy. I haven't given up completely, the next stage of my quest is to discover other locations used in the movie with the intention of making a video for the film's 40th anniversary in 2013. Watch this space!

The walk he does to get to Gas St in the film is impossible to do, as it was edited beyond belief, and has clips pasted together totally out of sequence!

Hi There was more than one entrance into the site, did you try getting in from the Cape Hill end?
cheers
Dave

Kevin. That was a great video you posted. I wouldnt recognise Brum now, its totally changed since I was in the city centre, so thanks for posting.

brilliant video kevin..love the choice of music too...

will look forward to the next one...

lyn

Great video Kevin. Good for us exiles to see up to date views of B'ham. Thanks. Viv.

Back